Mr. Smalls

Bullets cancelling...

15 minutes ago, MajorClagNut said:

Isn't 'hit detection' client side? So you see the blood splatter because that happens at client 'level'.

The death is then registered on the server so it's all slightly out of sync.

Yes the person dong the shooting sees the blood from their own client hit detection. Other people see the blood from the location of the landed bullet as sent by the server

On 7/12/2019 at 3:15 AM, SiXXX said:

It's unfortunate that Choco with such a large audience doesn't understand networking enough to not spread this misinformation. 

I think his misunderstanding is much simpler than network lag. He forgot that sound has a travel time in this game, just like real life. In the replay, he heard the guy's shot after his, but that guy's shot sound had to travel a small distance to Choco. So he heard it after his from his perspective, but in reality the shot was slightly ahead of his. Very simple. I bet if he watched the replay from either of the other 2 players' perspective he would've realized this. Especially from the 3rd place guy's spot. That guy would hear the shot that killed him a split second before hearing Choco's shot since he was roughly midway between them.

2 hours ago, AngryHog said:

I think his misunderstanding is much simpler than network lag. He forgot that sound has a travel time in this game, just like real life. In the replay, he heard the guy's shot after his, but that guy's shot sound had to travel a small distance to Choco. So he heard it after his from his perspective, but in reality the shot was slightly ahead of his. Very simple. I bet if he watched the replay from either of the other 2 players' perspective he would've realized this. Especially from the 3rd place guy's spot. That guy would hear the shot that killed him a split second before hearing Choco's shot since he was roughly midway between them.

Sound travel time would have an effect as well. But my point is he doesn’t know the exact time when that other guy shot to begin with. Latency plus sound travel time would make it worse still. It’s silly when playing any online game to think “I did that thing first” when yours and somebody else’s actions are that close together. Their action has a travel time to get to you while your action is instant from your perspective. You don’t know what that travel time is unless you ping test their connection, which will pretty much never happen. Streamers should know this and be careful with what they portray onto such a large audience. Choco blew it on that one and people will forever use that video as “proof” for this scenario.