Sign in to follow this  
nelrond

Network Lag Detected and Packet loss spikes

Hey there, long time lurker, first time poster here. 

It seems like for the past 6 months or so, I get infrequent network issues while playing PUBG. I'm talking about every second game (or say, 8 games in a row) I'll either get massive upstream (as per the network diagnostic in game) packet losses or complete loss of connection to the server.

For context, I have 1504 hours clocked on Steam. I've had the game for a very long time and honestly never had a severe issue like this; or at least not as frequently.

I've scrounged forum posts from the last two years looking for anything remotely similar to my experience and they all seem to be slightly different. I don't suffer from steady packet loss, my ping is typically steady around 100ms.

The only constant I've found is that when I do suffer from upstream packet losses, it's usually because a player is just out of sight but moving closer to me (I've gotten so many kills because of this weird spidey sense) and after a moment, the upstream packet loss dies down.

The incredibly odd thing about my experience, is I don't suffer from any Download Packet losses except when I lose connection to the server; even though my client can't send packets to the server, it doesn't typically have an issue receiving them.

Any tips, speculation, and ways to narrow down the issue would be appreciated.

20190530120720_1.jpg

20190521113617_1.jpg

20190530110950_1.jpg

7 hours ago, Rev0verDrive said:

Leave the match and rejoin.

That seems to be the best choice.

Thank you. 

I'm hoping one day they implement the upload packet loss fix that Epic did just recently. Same game engine, hosted in AWS, and likely the same problem.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2019 at 9:29 AM, fusedkt said:

I'm hoping one day they implement the upload packet loss fix that Epic did just recently. Same game engine, hosted in AWS, and likely the same problem.  

That makes a lot of sense and I hope that gets implemented as well, as the suggestion above hasn't helped other than having me abandon a stupid amount of matches. 

On 6/7/2019 at 12:29 PM, fusedkt said:

BH would have to update the game engine to the latest supporting said feature (hasn't released in a production build yet). This is more than likely not going to happen. They are at 4.16.3 .... current is 4.22.2 Way too much work involved updating to the current.

Other option would be they make manual code changes directly to the engine. This is also most likely not going to happen. A lot of the engines networking code has changed since 4.16.3 ... A LOT. Those changes depend on other changes.

Would be nice though.