Mr. Smalls

Designated vault button please 😁😎

Posted (edited)

The issue with designated button assignment on console is the fact that there aren't enough buttons on the pad. 

It's easy to compare to pc, but keyboards have way more flexibility in terms of button mapping. 

Having a designated vault would be nice, but would most likely break something else, or make it inconvenient for something else. 

If you want to vault, just hold up on the L analog whilst in contact with a vaultable surface.

Assigning a command to a button hold slows down the action. Just like how reloading doesn't happen immediately. Holding A whilst running up to a wall is fine and all, but it would cause a delay if you're already against the wall and want to vault.

If you want to jump ONTO a surface but not over it, be in contact with it and hit A, don't touch the analog.

If you just want to jump, you should be just slightly out of contact with any vaultable/mountable surface. 

TL;DR: Not enough buttons on a pad. Be more precise with inputs and there won't be any issues. 

Edited by HybridGT

3 hours ago, HybridGT said:

The issue with designated button assignment on console is the fact that there aren't enough buttons on the pad. 

<snip>

Assigning a command to a button hold slows down the action. Just like how reloading doesn't happen immediately. Holding A whilst running up to a wall is fine and all, but it would cause a delay if you're already against the wall and want to vault.

If you want to jump ONTO a surface but not over it, be in contact with it and hit A, don't touch the analog.

If you just want to jump, you should be just slightly out of contact with any vaultable/mountable surface. 

TL;DR: Not enough buttons on a pad. Be more precise with inputs and there won't be any issues. 

I would gladly give up the immediacy of vaulting and mantling to ensure that I never have to worry about jumping up next to a window when trying to escape because my inputs weren't precise enough.

5 minutes ago, pajama dad said:

I would gladly give up the immediacy of vaulting and mantling to ensure that I never have to worry about jumping up next to a window when trying to escape because my inputs weren't precise enough.

I'd be happy for them to change things if it catered to everyone (with a toggle in control settings).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr. Smalls said:

We need a designated vault only button. On PC you can map a key to vault only. Console needs to see similar functionality. That is all.

I agree... I hate it when I am next to a wall and the enemy is on the other side, and I know all I need to do is jump and shoot, but the damn game instantly makes me vault it the slowest and most painfull death possible......ok, all I gotta do is pop a shot....Ill just..no...NO! NOOOOOO!!!!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, wizardO3 said:

I agree... I hate it when I am next to a wall and the enemy is on the other side, and I know all I need to do is jump and shoot, but the damn game instantly makes me vault it the slowest and most painfull death possible......ok, all I gotta do is pop a shot....Ill just..no...NO! NOOOOOO!!!!!!

You can actually cancel your vault by pulling the left stick back down as your vaulting up. Atleast it will save you from a slow painful death. Lol

10 hours ago, HybridGT said:

I'd be happy for them to change things if it catered to everyone (with a toggle in control settings).

100% Options are good.

Also, the holding of the button to vault need not be about time holding the button. In the scenario where you press A to vault and release to jump, the vault could be immediate if it is given priority over the jump.

You're standing in a place where you can vault- you press A and release immediately- you vault instead of jump because the vault is available. 

The intent of holding A to vault isnt to make it about time (as reloading is hold X for a second to reload), but to separate the two actions of vaulting and jumping so the player can control which occurs. 

So, to vault or mantle the game would check- Is a vault available? Yes. Is the A button depressed? Yes. 

To jump the game would check- is a vault available? No. Has the A button been released? Yes.

A good way to think about it is Metal Gear Solid 2. That game had you firing your pistol upon release of the button. Holding it aimed. When you pressed the button quickly you fired quickly. No delay. A similar sentiment would work in pubg.