Sign in to follow this  
ScrubV2

New Scopes

Hey everyone!

Recently when watching a ChocoTaco video among other creators, the discussion about zeroing came up and how it is underused. This got me thinking.

The main thing at the moment is that only the 6x and 15x as well as the VSS have a range finder of any kind, beyond these scopes it is estimation or next level math skills on the fly which is time consuming.

Something else that I feel has lost its value and appeal is the 8x scope, prior to the 6x scope being introduced this was the only scope above a 4x that spawned outside of crates for those 300m+ shots. On the three larger maps (Erangel, Miraramar and Vikendi) the 15x spawns in crates rarely and you may also get an 8x on occasions, Sanhok does not have the 15x and rightly so. The 8x itself is very rarely more beneficial to have than the 6x on this map simply due to the design of the map. 

Getting these scopes from crates is rarely exciting for me and seemingly many players. My suggestion would be additional scopes in the crates ranging from 4x to 8x on ALL maps. The difference with these scopes that set them in the elite tier is that they would have an automated range finder. In order to maintain realism and not make these ridiculously overpowered there would of course be limitations. The 3 obvious and I think best limitations would be the following:

• Range finder only works up to a certain distance, this should vary between the scopes meaning for example on a 4x maybe 350m max compared to an 8x which could do 600m for example. This would also require the 8x Range Finder to be significantly more rare, almost or equally rare as the 15x.
  • In order to prevent people seeing people they would not see naturally the range finder would need a period of time looking at the target to calculate OR have the zeroing reset button or a separate binding which may also automatically set your zeroing to the nearest setting.with this scope attached calculate the distance to the closest solid object the centre of the scope is pointed at so you could calculate distance to a house window, rock, tree or player.
  • For a moving target the scope MUST NOT be able to tell how far to aim ahead, simply the distance to your target

I tend to lean on the side of 'leave it as is' . Possibly you could add in a separate range finder item which is widly available where you could use it while your guns are on your back. So if you use it to simply tell you a distance to an object or for scoping out compounds. Once you have the distance you need either to adjust zeroing or adjust aim height. 

• Like 1

One could start with something like a binocular. i wouldn't mind having that in the game. Could be useful for this and also when you don't have a scope, to scout.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ScrubV2 said:

Hey everyone!

Recently when watching a ChocoTaco video among other creators, the discussion about zeroing came up and how it is underused. This got me thinking.

The main thing at the moment is that only the 6x and 15x as well as the VSS have a range finder of any kind, beyond these scopes it is estimation or next level math skills on the fly which is time consuming.

All scopes with the exception of the 2X have marks for different ranges. 3X,4X,6X,8X and 15X. What makes them confusing is that they all look different and even have different hash marks for different ranges. If I have a 6X on an M16 and a 6X on the Beryl, I will have to aim higher and lead more on the target with the Beryl because of the bullet velocity. The M16 is a laser and doesn't have much drop nor does it need to be led very much on a moving target. I think this is one of the reasons the scopes can be confusing.

5 hours ago, ScrubV2 said:
  • Range finder only works up to a certain distance, this should vary between the scopes meaning for example on a 4x maybe 350m max compared to an 8x which could do 600m for example. This would also require the 8x Range Finder to be significantly more rare, almost or equally rare as the 15x.
  • In order to prevent people seeing people they would not see naturally the range finder would need a period of time looking at the target to calculate OR have the zeroing reset button or a separate binding which may also automatically set your zeroing to the nearest setting.with this scope attached calculate the distance to the closest solid object the centre of the scope is pointed at so you could calculate distance to a house window, rock, tree or player.
  • For a moving target the scope MUST NOT be able to tell how far to aim ahead, simply the distance to your target

I like the idea of having a range finder as a separate piece of equipment you could pick up but I feel like messing with the scopes now wouldn't be a good idea.

Why have a range finder for every scope? Why not just a set of range finding binoculars that can be used independently from any scope? I feel like adding one to each scope and limiting it's effective range just over complicates things. Sniping is already hard enough with different bullet velocities and bullet drop for each different weapon.

• Like 1

A thermal 4x or 3x scope would be nice, but it would be super rare.

A night vision scope for 4x - 15x

A 12x scope

A 10x scope

A triple scope (normal, thermal, night) on a 8x, 10x, 12x, and 15x)

A target illumination holo

side laser sight (so you can use an actual grip)

there are two ways, first is to use l;andmarks and the map to range opponents, great if you have an 8 or 15x and can then zero the scope.

the other way is to fire a shot and check the dop. this is much quicker but it effectively gives a warning shot unless you happen to be spot on with that first ranging shot.  

Not sur eI like the idea of auto zeroing scopes, sounds a bit OP, one of the skills in this game is learning the ballistics.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, F4MAS said:

A thermal 4x or 3x scope would be nice, but it would be super rare.

A night vision scope for 4x - 15x

A 12x scope

A 10x scope

A triple scope (normal, thermal, night) on a 8x, 10x, 12x, and 15x)

A target illumination holo

side laser sight (so you can use an actual grip)

Are you lost? the Escape from Tarkov forums are over there ----------------------------------------------------------------------> 

Leave the damn scopes alone! There is nothing wrong with what its there already. 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:56 PM, ScrubV2 said:

Hey everyone!

Something else that I feel has lost its value and appeal is the 8x scope, prior to the 6x scope being introduced this was the only scope above a 4x that spawned outside of crates for those 300m+ shots. On the three larger maps (Erangel, Miraramar and Vikendi) the 15x spawns in crates rarely and you may also get an 8x on occasions, Sanhok does not have the 15x and rightly so. The 8x itself is very rarely more beneficial to have than the 6x on this map simply due to the design of the map. 

Getting these scopes from crates is rarely exciting for me and seemingly many players. My suggestion would be additional scopes in the crates ranging from 4x to 8x on ALL maps. The difference with these scopes that set them in the elite tier is that they would have an automated range finder. In order to maintain realism and not make these ridiculously overpowered there would of course be limitations. The 3 obvious and I think best limitations would be the following:

People are deadly enough as it is when they get the AWM...and you wanna give them the ability to auto range you and pop a single headshot! 

The scopes are perfectly fine as they are,  Its easy to learn how to range find with most of the scopes and if you have put enough hours in then you know the bullet drop for each rifle etc. 

if you cannot range effectively, learn. Don't ask them to make it easier for you, its meant to be difficult or we would all snipe! 

• Like 1

Personally I find sniping rather pointless and just a waste of ammo until final 10. I've got caught up with my teammates in a snipe off against some enemies and all we did was knock eachother a few times and pick our teammates back up. It always ended up in one team giving up and moving along.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, quango2k said:

Are you lost? the Escape from Tarkov forums are over there ----------------------------------------------------------------------> 

Leave the damn scopes alone! There is nothing wrong with what its there already. 

I do agree with the side laser sight actually. or at least a grip/laser combo

Edited by raptorjesus169
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 7:20 PM, ASTR4L ASC3NT said:

All scopes with the exception of the 2X have marks for different ranges. 3X,4X,6X,8X and 15X. What makes them confusing is that they all look different and even have different hash marks for different ranges. If I have a 6X on an M16 and a 6X on the Beryl, I will have to aim higher and lead more on the target with the Beryl because of the bullet velocity. The M16 is a laser and doesn't have much drop nor does it need to be led very much on a moving target. I think this is one of the reasons the scopes can be confusing.

You're completely right about this one.
I really feel we should have a unique sight for each weapon. So the markers actually make sense.
Currently it feels like you're using a flat screwdriver on a Phillips screw. It works, but it's not the right tool for the job.

You usually end up ignoring markers and go by feel or zeroing if you have the time.
Would this make zeroing redundant?
Yeah, a bit. But it made itself already redundant considering how rare it is to actually have the luxury of zeroing in on your target.

2 hours ago, raptorjesus169 said:

I do agree with the side laser sight actually. or at least a grip/laser combo

They could make the laser attachment we now have actually useful and make it measure the distance from the target on scopes. 
Just an idea, I am not sure that I even want something like that.

But if you're decided on having an automatic way of zeroing that should be it.
Then you would actually have a reason to pick up that piece of garbage.

5 hours ago, quango2k said:

People are deadly enough as it is when they get the AWM...and you wanna give them the ability to auto range you and pop a single headshot! 

The scopes are perfectly fine as they are,  Its easy to learn how to range find with most of the scopes and if you have put enough hours in then you know the bullet drop for each rifle etc. 

if you cannot range effectively, learn. Don't ask them to make it easier for you, its meant to be difficult or we would all snipe! 

If you keep moving and give them a tough time and they miss enough they are out of ammo, you get 15 shots with an awm, most people couldn't hit a 2/15 shots on mobile if the target was moving. Then after they are out they dropped a kar98 lets say now they have no rifle and what good did that extra damage do. 

Sorry if this sounds really aggressive, I primarily play on mobile.

9 hours ago, raptorjesus169 said:

Personally I find sniping rather pointless and just a waste of ammo until final 10. I've got caught up with my teammates in a snipe off against some enemies and all we did was knock eachother a few times and pick our teammates back up. It always ended up in one team giving up and moving along.

Those snipe offs help train your aim against real opponents, sure they sometimes will just get their mates upif you cannot finish them but the training is invaluable.  Often its not the best tactic for winning because you reveal your position but again its practice, if you let them pass and never shoot those guys .. then at end game you get your chance and cant hit the shots because you haven't got the training.  so its a balance, plus its fun hitting long shots ;) and you ruin someones armour and make them more fragile for a second or third knock.  it all helps toward the end goal imo.

6 hours ago, Boodgemeister said:

I really feel we should have a unique sight for each weapon. So the markers actually make sense.
Currently it feels like you're using a flat screwdriver on a Phillips screw. It works, but it's not the right tool for the job.

Thing is without the ability to zero the scope  ranging doesn't really do anything for you, you still have to remember the right part of the scope to use at various distances so its pretty pointless on the whole unless the player is standing dead still for an extended period and you want to get that first shot bang on.  without zeroing the scope you still kind of guessing.

As for  unique sight for each weapon ? that's almost what we have already and imo its dumb.  When you buy an Acog it wont change how it looks depending on which gun you put it on, the scopes should have 1 type per weapon or a changeable one like the red dot.  otherwise it doesn't make much sense to me ? 

But whatever I am used to the various scopes, I prefer a 3x or 6x on m16 because I prefer the scope.

6 hours ago, Boodgemeister said:

Then you would actually have a reason to pick up that piece of garbage.

To be fair its good on pistols and not bad at all on SMG which really don't need a grip anyway.  But it can draw the eye if you ar ein a bush and someone checks the bush and seeds the green dot.  

5 hours ago, F4MAS said:

you get 15 shots with an awm, most people couldn't hit a 2/15 shots on mobile if the target was moving. Then after they are out they dropped a kar98 lets say now they have no rifle and what good did that extra damage do. 

Sorry if this sounds really aggressive, I primarily play on mobile.

This isn't the mobile forum, its a different game made by a different company and so things are not the same really.  in full pubg you get 20 rounds and due to the gun having a really fast round and virtually no drop you can hit plenty of shots on moving people.  Even if you only get a couple of hits what did the extra damage do ? well it got 2 kills probably, if you hit a sniper shot you know that if they are still moving they are low, a quick spray with a full auto weapon usually finishes the job.  

16 hours ago, Boodgemeister said:

You usually end up ignoring markers and go by feel or zeroing if you have the time.
Would this make zeroing redundant?
Yeah, a bit. But it made itself already redundant considering how rare it is to actually have the luxury of zeroing in on your target.

If you use the x4, the reticle changes depending on what weapon you mount it on. they are also zeroed to 100m on any rifle. 

The markers make perfect sense, you just have to learn them for each type and what weapon its mounted on. 

On 5/20/2019 at 7:05 PM, DeadlyEggXoP said:

one of the skills in this game is learning the ballistics.

Gosh darnit! I want to be instantly good at everything I do! WTH man? Why can't we just press a button and learn something, similar to matrix learning. Get with the program!

• Haha 1