Darthy

Short range: smg or ar?

Hi all,

I realize this is probably a silly question, but I was wondering, for short range (like up to 20 or 30m) what is best to use, an assault rifle or an smg?

I would expect it to be an smg, as that's basically what they are for, but assault rifles seem to have the lowest time to kill, and at fairly close range the bullet spread difference might be very small?

Would be interested in some feedback, thanks!

I always go with the AR....but if your pretty solid at head shots the SMG will work fine. 

Vector/MP5K rival AR's, the rest of the SMG's are below AR's in every situation.

• Like 2

Shotgun.
The problem is you don't have much reasons to pick SMG over AR in most of the situations. I really feel you should be able to move even faster (I know they buffed this a while ago) when ADS with an SMG. Strong points of an SMG should be rate of fire and mobility without sacrificing accuracy. Would it be OP up close? Oh yeah. Which it should be. And it should be complete dog shit over 50m, which it currently kind of is. Bullet velocity and bullet drop along with dmg drop should be low for SMGs.
I think they need some more love.

One indirect way to buff SMGs is to let us have stun grenade on a seperate keybind which can be thrown from your left hand instantly. Then when you have to clear a building you think "wish I had a Vector now" instead of "wish I had a proper gun instead of this Vector".

And for the love of everything that is holy... Let us at least attach something to Uzi like that tiny pistol red dot or something. Thommy is fine being shitty as is. But Uzi could use some love, like, being actually viable for something other than first 2 minutes.

Just throwing some ideas here.

Thank you all for the feedback, i think then in the future i will focus more on an AR as my auto fire gun and use my second slot for a sniper. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Again this topic. 

I would say: SMG if my long range is a DMR or AR otherwise AR for cqc and SR for distance.

SR and SMG don't pair well together.

Keep in mind that in cqc SMG have a few advantages over AR:

- higher damage to arms/limbs;

- higher base DPS for MP5K/Vector;

- super easy to control recoil, this means more of your shots will hit actually nearing max theoretical dps;

- smg ammo lighter than AR: more space for meds/nades.

Other than that if I know I have problems in controlling my recoil I would never take a 7.62 AR over a SMG. To maximize your chances you should use the weapons you're most comfortable with. 556 ARs are more forgiving but they're not smg either...

Edited by SoulbringerITA
  • Like 2

If you are really good with AR and recoil control (moving mouse down, etc), then I see no need for SMGs.

ME, I am not great with AR recoil - HOWEVER - at very close range - like house fighting - I DO use auto AR's exclusively. Point being is that at that tiny range (0-10m) it's hard to miss, the target is big and the AR's pack more punch.

However from 10-15 to 30m, I'll use a good SMG - Bison or Vector. Outside of 40-50m I have to use an AR single shot since I am poor at dealing with recoil. Except the M249, which I just use all the time since I spray and pray.

Some of these people are masters at the M416 and controling the recoil. It's really crazy (or fishy).

SMG for me. Lighter ammo so can carry more other stuff, higher rates of fire and more accurate hip-firing, which gives them a speed edge as well.

Also, although not as good extreme close range, a decked out UMP is ridonculously accurate at medium range and is great for the final circle on Miramar.

AR is overpowered in the game. It breaks all the balances. 

Vector/Uzi very close range. Vector/mp5 are acceptable at medium close range to mid range.  However I take an AR over SMG in anything but hot dropping because they are better suited to adapting to more situations imho. AR and DMR/SR is usually the meta because it performs better as a combo in most scenarios from my perspective. 

SMGs are niche weapons where they perform well in specific circumstances from my point of view.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LTyrion said:

Vector/Uzi very close range. Vector/mp5 are acceptable at medium close range to mid range.  However I take an AR over SMG in anything but hot dropping because they are better suited to adapting to more situations imho. AR and DMR/SR is usually the meta because it performs better as a combo in most scenarios from my perspective. 

SMGs are niche weapons where they perform well in specific circumstances from my point of view.

Agreed. SMG's can do the job at medium range, but you have to land a shit load more shots (damage drop off). To do so you have to single tap or burst which negates the ROF advantage mosts smg's have over AR's.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 10:21 PM, Destru said:

Vector/MP5K rival AR's, the rest of the SMG's are below AR's in every situation.

Uzi has better DPS than almost every single AR you know that right?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BeerusTheDestroy said:

Yeah, the Uzi is an absolute chainsaw at super close range. Basically, if you THINK a shotgun ought to be great at said range, the Uzi will shred someone. The problem is, and always has been, that you can't equip a sight and the weapon is damn near totally useless outside close range.

Personally, I try to stick with the meta of AR + DMR/SR, but if I have a fully kitted Vector, I'm willing to go Vector + DMR in some situations. I'm not a fan of Vector + SR though, because I feel that combo leaves me too vulnerable in mid-range engagements and during reloads.

1 hour ago, Auturgist said:

Yeah, the Uzi is an absolute chainsaw at super close range

Other SMG's meant to be effective at close range as well. Especially Vector is worse than Uzi at long range because Uzi has more bullet speed. Also about spray pattern Uzi is the most accurate SMG comparing to the others. So saying Vector and MP5K is the only viable choice is kind of wrong. People won't prefer Uzi just because of the iron sight, that's it.

10 hours ago, BeerusTheDestroy said:

Yeah if you're in hipfire range, I just don't want to rely on Uzi ironsights.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:12 PM, Fri13 said:

AR is overpowered in the game. It breaks all the balances. 

There is a proper way to fix it with adding Carbine class in the game like Battlefield but on realistic way.

For example 1 damage per bullet less than their AR variants or , less bullet speed with more damage drop on range + without first bullet recoil with more accurate spray pattern. Also faster running option.

Or making different adjustments to make a class between AR's and SMG's.

There are 2 Carbines existing the game already and they are Groza and G36C. But I don't think PUBG can do that thing.

these days with all the extra loot there is no need to keep hold of an SMG,  you might find one first and use against the initial droppers, but if I drop uncontested I usualy just run past SMGs these days as you know an AR and sniper/DMR are just around the corner.

SMGs have been nerfed out of the game.

Screw ARs and SMGs. I'll take that crossbow over there. Silent but deadly!

On 5/12/2019 at 2:00 PM, Darthy said:

Hi all,

I realize this is probably a silly question, but I was wondering, for short range (like up to 20 or 30m) what is best to use, an assault rifle or an smg?

I would expect it to be an smg, as that's basically what they are for, but assault rifles seem to have the lowest time to kill, and at fairly close range the bullet spread difference might be very small?

I tend to use AR and SR as my set up so I use an AR. Also ARs do a lot of damage, use a groza, aug, g36c.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:00 PM, Darthy said:

Hi all,

Lemme tell you sth. MP5K with 2x or 3x is better than any AR in 0-25m distance. So use DMR + that bad boy or Vector and you won't regret it. But if you have SR then having an AR is better option. Even Uzi + Mutant-M16A4 would be a good combine. 

Sometimes I'm using only one 5.56 AR (mostly SCAR) with 6x + canted sight.

So it's up to you,  your play style and the loot. 

to be fair at extremem close range then going into ADS isn't always the best choice na dcan make things harder for yourself.  so if that's you MO then an SMG using focused aim rather than ADS is a better choice  But yeah it limits you as your best pairing for an SMG is a DMR ( probably the MK14 to be specific ) whereas if you use an AR as your full auto weapon then you have the choice of DMR or SR as a backup.  I mean you can make SR/SMG work for sure but it leaves you exposed to mid range  and anything over probably 15 meters an AR will be generally more effective.