mamulator

just got a freesync 1ms 4k 60hz monitor, should I enable freesync on my xbox x?

Posted (edited)

Is there any benefit? Sorry if I missed this topic somewhere else.

Edited by mamulator

Hi, Does your monitor support free sync through DisplayPort or HDMI?  I would also check to see if there is a certain threshold in FPS to be exceeded for free sync to be enabled.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mamulator said:

What model is your monitor? Does is support freesync 1 and 2? As Andy mentioned, you need to know your monitors freesync range. Most freesync monitors rage from 40Hz and above therefor it will not benefit PUBG since it's capped at 30fps. There's only a hand full of monitors I know that support a range as low as 20Hz with freesync 2.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mamulator said:

4 minutes ago, VinnieB said:

What model is your monitor? Does is support freesync 1 and 2? As Andy mentioned, you need to know your monitors freesync range. Most freesync monitors rage from 40Hz and above therefor it will not benefit PUBG since it's capped at 30fps. There's only a hand full of monitors I know that support a range as low as 20Hz with freesync 2.  

Give me your model and I'll look into it for you. Also check out rtings.com to see if they have a review on your monitor. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mamulator said:

It's the Samsung uh750, and I currently have it plugged into hdmi 2. New to this stuff, and I really really appreciate the help!

28" UH750 QLED UHD Monitor
https://k7wz8.app.goo.gl/4y4T6c1ax6dAHPrx5

Does this have a freesync 2/ultimate engine option in the menu? 

I'm guessing is doesn't since it's not HDR. 

Edited by VinnieB
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mamulator said:

It's the Samsung uh750, and I currently have it plugged into hdmi 2. New to this stuff, and I really really appreciate the help!

28" UH750 QLED UHD Monitor
https://k7wz8.app.goo.gl/4y4T6c1ax6dAHPrx5

4 minutes ago, VinnieB said:

I'm guessing is doesn't since it's not HDR. 

Most likely it's just freesync 1, which means the range is 40Hz to 60Hz. It wouldn't hurt turning on freesync but you'll get no benefit with PUBG. If PUBG is all you play or what you mainly play, if it's not too late look into exchanging it for the Samsung CHG70. Which has a range from 20Hz to 144hz over DP or 20Hz to 100Hz over HDMI.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VinnieB said:

Yes it has standard engine and ultimate engine, I have it set on standard, and I have the freesync thing enabled on xbox. With the monitor in game mode...

Just now, mamulator said:

Yes it has standard engine and ultimate engine, I have it set on standard, and I have the freesync thing enabled on xbox. With the monitor in game mode...

Select ultimate engine then. I still can't find any info on the range for that monitor tho. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mamulator said:

2 minutes ago, VinnieB said:

Select ultimate engine then. I still can't find any info on the range for that monitor tho. 

Found this on AMD's website for your monitor....

In your monitor's on screen display, are you using FreeSync Standard or Ultimate Engine? Standard should offer 50-60HZ and Ultimate should offer 40-60HZ.

https://community.amd.com/thread/198334

Edited by VinnieB
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, VinnieB said:

If PUBG is all you play or what you mainly play, if it's not too late look into exchanging it for the Samsung CHG70. Which has a range from 20Hz to 144hz over DP or 20Hz to 100Hz over HDMI.  

I looked at the chg70, but I misunderstood, I didnt think I could benefit from anything higher than 60hz for xbox x because it will never get higher than 60fps? And yes I mainly play pubg, but I play all other shooters, and a few inbetweeners as well. Figured I would upgrade monitor to one with higher hz when new xbox would come out

Edited by mamulator

4 minutes ago, mamulator said:

I looked at the chg70, but I misunderstood, I didnt think I could benefit from anything higher than 60hz for xbox x because it will never get higher than 60fps? And yes I mainly play pubg, but I play all other shooters, and a few inbetweeners as well. Figured I would upgrade monitor to one with higher hz when new xbox would come out

The CHG70 is rated best monitor for the Xbox One X. The freesync rage covers all game on Xbox and also supports HDR. If you can dish out a few bucks more, I'd exchange it for the CHG70. 

• Like 1

But will we be able to notice the extra refresh rate if it never gets above 60fps anyways? And in pubgs case 30fps? Trying to save some money if possible, still have to buy a tower and capture card to start streaming...

13 minutes ago, mamulator said:

But will we be able to notice the extra refresh rate if it never gets above 60fps anyways? And in pubgs case 30fps? Trying to save some money if possible, still have to buy a tower and capture card to start streaming...

No, but you'll be able to take advantage of freesync 2 and HDR. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PUBG_Andymh5 said:

Hi, Does your monitor support free sync through DisplayPort or HDMI?  I would also check to see if there is a certain threshold in FPS to be exceeded for free sync to be enabled.

I believe it supports it through either, but I think I can use one that has maximum framerates at 30, would it benefit pubg more to use the 30 fps one? And the advanced freesync engine doesnt work with pubg but the standard mode does, I'm going to call Samsung and ask their take on it and if a threshold of fps needs to be hit, but any other light you can shed would be helpful. Also need to know if the input I'm using should be in a/v mode or PC mode as each input can be switched to either mode. Thanks again guys!

Ok, I'm getting super confused now, gonna try and call Microsoft now because Samsung transferred me 5 times before I got someone that could even look up my monitor and he could barely tell me anything, couldn't tell me what the fps threshold was for freesync but from what I can tell, it's mainly for when you are playing a game at higher framerates than pubg on console runs. But I was then trying to see if it could help out with games running at lower frames but nobody knows. Which leads me to question whether or not this would run better on monitors or inputs with a 30hz refresh rate because the game is capped at 30hz on xbox? And then I saw this video which confuses me further. It says you can run much higher framerates than 60fps on 60hz screens and get much smoother and responsive gameplay, which makes me wonder if pubg can benefit from the same logic but scaled down to lower framerates etc.. and I'm not sure if I know how to tag andy.. @PUBG_Andymh5

https://youtu.be/uzp8z1i5-Hc

2 hours ago, mamulator said:

And then I saw this video which confuses me further. It says you can run much higher framerates than 60fps on 60hz screens and get much smoother and responsive gameplay, which makes me wonder if pubg can benefit from the same logic but scaled down to lower framerates etc.. and I'm not sure if I know how to tag andy.. @PUBG_Andymh5

https://youtu.be/uzp8z1i5-Hc

This only applies to PC since consoles are locked to a Max of 60 FPS

• Like 1

Got everything enabled, was playing on a 65 in 4k TV, this is huge improvement in many ways. But going from 65 to 28 inch screen is gonna take getting used to. Cant tell if freesync is helping or not though. Thanks for the help guys

And now this morning, it doesnt wanna work in standard freesync engine anymore, but it will work in advanced engine freesync, opposite of yesterday. I think the xbox x has problems reading what its connected to. But the advanced freesync engine is supposed to be for the lower range of refresh rates, so I would assume that's the one we want for pubg. Seems to be working though.

Ok, just updating as I go along, in case anyone else has these issues. But sometimes freesync enabled on standard engine works for hours at a time, then I come back to xbox after turning it off for a bit and when I play pubg I get white flickering, until I disable freesync, or sometimes switching it to the other engine will work. I will then play with advanced freesync engine engaged with no issues, come back to xbox after turning it off and white flickering again. Cant figure it out, but since I cant notice any benefit really when it appears to be working, I guess I'll just shut it off. This monitor is great for pubg though so far , the only issue I'm having with this monitor so far is trying to get freesync to work, and I think it's either my fault or the xbox freesync really doesnt work well yet. (*for lower framerate games, havent tried it on higher framerate games yet)

Ok, so I think I figured it out, I'm running advanced freesync engine, and it's working with no white flashes. It stopped working when I switched my xbox resolution settings from 4k to 1440 to match framerate priority, for some reason the monitor didnt like that. So freesync works as long as you keep your resolution in the xbox settings as 4k, and after playing with it off all day yesterday, I think it does play a bit smoother with it freesync engaged. Probably gonna make a YouTube post about this monitor and pubg on xbox x, if and when I do, I will post the link in this thread. Hopefully it stays working lol

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2019 at 7:22 PM, Twiztid said:

Hi i have qled tv Samsung QE55Q6FN

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q6fn-q6-q6f-qled-2018

after switching on freesync the final get the picture more chopped (motion)if it should be the opposite no?

My tv is support 120hz 1440p.

Change your settings in your Xbox to 1080p 60hz. The TV you have supports a freesync range below 20hz only in 1080p.

At 1080p its range is wide enough to support Low Frequency Compensation, thus extending its lower limit below 20 Hz; unfortunately its 4k range is a much smaller 60-48 Hz, but good enough for Xbox One games that target 60 fps.

Edited by VinnieB

Change my settings in your Xbox to 1080p 60hz.The TV my have supports a freesync range below 20hz only in 1080p.???? Its ok? No 1440p 120hz?