Sign in to follow this  
Sidartha

randomly lose control of my character..

So recently I have started experiencing a very weird issue where I randomly become locked into an auto run either moving forward or strafing one direction or another for about 2 seconds then it stops. During that time I can mouse look around but no other keys seem to work. This is obviously a huge problem in a game like PUBG because I can go running off a cliff or out from cover at the wrong time.

I use a Logitech G13 gameboard and it's a bit long in the tooth. I have experienced another issue with it in the recent past where the LCD goes dark and it appears to have failed briefly but that only happened a few times and not recently. I am leaning towards this issue being related to my G13 failing but over the last couple days I was playing another game and have not experienced this even once. The few days before I was experiencing it every 5 minutes or so in PUBG. Now my theory that it's my G13 is in question.

I tried restarting PC and using a different USB port and creating a new PUBG profile on the device but nothing worked while playing PUBG. PUBG is basically not playable with this happening and I can't bear the thought of using my regular keyboard like a common gaming peon. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this before?

• Like 1

i think i sometimes have had the same thing.

for me it only happened in the lobby afaik and always after having alt tabbed.

• Thanks 1

Definitely sounds like a keyboard switch / key issue.  I'd use some compressed air and clean it out really well, and even try removing the ASDF key caps (if yours are removable) and check the contacts.

Also, make sure your Keyboard software and drivers are updated.

If all else fails, try a replacement keyboard.

Good luck!

So I have played 5 or 6 matches today and it hasn't happened so it seems to have magically resolved itself. Will try cleaning them out. Thanks for responses.

Posted (edited)

Have you overclocked your GPU? I ask because when I overclocked my GPU, every other game worked fine with no issues except for PUBG, which would give me some crazy weird minor issues (crashing when trying to view deathcam, indoors being really bright and lobby window lights being really bright like brightness was turned right up on rare occasions), so id try removing your overclock if you have it, id also check your temps, if it's overheating you'll also have issues.

Logitech gaming software can be a little buggy too, make sure it runs as administrator. I set my Logitech gaming software to run as admin with highest privileges, and it works great, but it stopped automatically starting on startup, so I just have to manually start it when I log in and it's worked perfectly ever since.

Edited by RAND0M7
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 3:23 PM, Sidartha said:

I use a Logitech G13 gameboard and it's a bit long in the tooth. 

I have a g15 with a BF2 profile in it still. Lol

I had a similar issue with a old ducky keyboard I had, it would do weird things like sometimes I would boot it up and nothing would work, other time sI would freeze for a few seconds.  I ended up replacing it.  best thing is to test with another keyboard  but intermittent problems are a bit of a nightmare to diagnose.

Yup have had this issue as well. Go no reason my character would strafe right. Could not figure out out for a while.

Then realized after time that my keyboard is so sensitive that just barely laying my finger on the key was the cause. Lol. Only fix was to keep the finger off the key more. Lol.

• Like 1

But how would keyboard make you auto run or strafe too far in one direction?    (Unless you are suggesting that it sometimes sends the signal 2 seconds after you hit a key...)

I think instead that this is some slight positioning desync, where it's taking the server an extra second or two to figure out where you are.  I've actually experienced this!  Sometimes when there's not a lot of action going on, I'll run a distance, and when I encounter new action or come to a stop, my guy will sort of rotate or strafe just a very slight (but noticeable) amount, and without me providing that input.  I assume this is because there's some slight difference between where I am facing or positioned, and where I should be.  

When it is a large difference, the game just straight crashes.  About 10% of my matches lately, I land and then my game crashes.  When I reconnect im like 100 meters from where I literally just saw myself land.  It's plain that what I was seeing, isn't synced up with the server, and then the game crashes. 

When you parachute in squad, one can observe that sometimes your squad mates position updates choppily, like in 1 second increments, rather than smoothly.  In my opinion this also happens on the ground, and what's you're seeing with your character continuing to move is the game sort of "catching up" with your inputs.  

2 hours ago, Avohei said:

Yup have had this issue as well. Go no reason my character would strafe right. Could not figure out out for a while.

Then realized after time that my keyboard is so sensitive that just barely laying my finger on the key was the cause. Lol. Only fix was to keep the finger off the key more. Lol.

It's not that. When it's doing it none of my keys work. I can't open my map or go in another direction or open my inventory. All I can so is mouselook until it stops.

1 hour ago, TG_L3GACY said:

But how would keyboard make you auto run or strafe too far in one direction?    (Unless you are suggesting that it sometimes sends the signal 2 seconds after you hit a key...)

I think instead that this is some slight positioning desync, where it's taking the server an extra second or two to figure out where you are.  I've actually experienced this!  Sometimes when there's not a lot of action going on, I'll run a distance, and when I encounter new action or come to a stop, my guy will sort of rotate or strafe just a very slight (but noticeable) amount, and without me providing that input.  I assume this is because there's some slight difference between where I am facing or positioned, and where I should be.  

When it is a large difference, the game just straight crashes.  About 10% of my matches lately, I land and then my game crashes.  When I reconnect im like 100 meters from where I literally just saw myself land.  It's plain that what I was seeing, isn't synced up with the server, and then the game crashes. 

When you parachute in squad, one can observe that sometimes your squad mates position updates choppily, like in 1 second increments, rather than smoothly.  In my opinion this also happens on the ground, and what's you're seeing with your character continuing to move is the game sort of "catching up" with your inputs.  

It's not game positioning and I seriously doubt it's the game itself. I'm not talking about small positional differences. I'm talking about hitting strafe right and then it turns to auto run strafe right for 2-3 seconds where my character just keeps running that direction for a good 15 feet before I regain control.

Since I posted yesterday I have played many more matches and this hasn't happened again so not sure what may have changed. That being said I'm looking at my G13 LCD display (which is a clock face with date) and it's upside down which is lending itself more to the theory that my G13 is finally dying. RIP. I guess it's a good thing I found another G13 on EBay. Wish Logitech wouldn't have discontinued the G13. Best Logitech product I have ever had.

Hi all,

I 'm not un player PUBG.  But your problem is mine since a few days. I have also a G13. Than like you , i tested some USB connect and nothing change.  I realized the problem on the game Mordhau and I have the same problem with BFV and BF1.  Like you, I thought my G13 was down. But it is not so. I tested with another G13 ... an older one. And unfortunately the problem was the same.  I do not think your new G13 will solve the problem. Oddly, with a normal keyboard I do not have this problem.

7 hours ago, Boodgemeister said:

Happens to me sometimes after alt tabbing. I just press ESC in game to bring the menu up and it fixes itself.

no i thought that too but i think sidartha is refering to something else.

i think what you mean is that moving the mouse to the left or the right doesnt make ur character go into that direction, its as if the alt key is stuck.

at least thats what happens to me when i alt tab sometimes.

2 minutes ago, r0eladn said:

Same thing here. Pressing alt again fixes it for me. 

Posted (edited)

- 

Edited by Destru
Nothing here I can't read.

3 hours ago, r0eladn said:

no i thought that too but i think sidartha is refering to something else.

i think what you mean is that moving the mouse to the left or the right doesnt make ur character go into that direction, its as if the alt key is stuck.

Yeah, what I was experiencing was different. I would just auto run randomly in a direction and couldn't hit any other key to break out of it. Couldn't open inventory or map or run backwards or anything. Like 2-3 seconds of just running out of control other than mouse look. That being said I still haven't had it happen again and I just got my new G13 a couple days ago and nothing with that one, either so no clue what was causing it.

On 5/13/2019 at 3:45 AM, Sidartha said:

Yeah, what I was experiencing was different. I would just auto run randomly in a direction and couldn't hit any other key to break out of it. Couldn't open inventory or map or run backwards or anything. Like 2-3 seconds of just running out of control other than mouse look. That being said I still haven't had it happen again and I just got my new G13 a couple days ago and nothing with that one, either so no clue what was causing it.

Possible that the board could have been on its way out. Rubber dome membranes can wear out over time and standard membranes have significantly less keypress limits when compared to mechanical switches.

Was it only happening with a couple of keys, or was it apparently random and affecting any/all of them?

I have also had the same problem but only in lobby and only after overclocking the gpu, once I backed off on the clock just a bit I haven't had it again. 

On 5/14/2019 at 2:47 AM, Takarii said:

Possible that the board could have been on its way out. Rubber dome membranes can wear out over time and standard membranes have significantly less keypress limits when compared to mechanical switches.

Was it only happening with a couple of keys, or was it apparently random and affecting any/all of them?

Just started happening again today out of the blue with my new G13 so I don't think it's a hardware issue. I don't know if it's happening with other keys because it's possible it is happening on them but only really noticeable with the movement keys since you are constantly pressing them.

I will also say that sometimes it manifests itself as just an unresponsive input as in my character can't move in any direction with WASD but I can jump in place and mouselook but for a couple seconds I'm stuck in place essentially. This is more rare but it tells me that it's not necessarily the movement keys and more like input is getting blocked/interrupted/repeated for whatever reason.

Don't know much about the G13but it sounds like something is not right ther, if you replaced with a brand new model and the same is happening then its a software issues most likely.  and probably one that would be a bitch to track down ..

you probably know whats coming next, when did you last install windows ? 

41 minutes ago, DeadlyEggXoP said:

Don't know much about the G13but it sounds like something is not right ther, if you replaced with a brand new model and the same is happening then its a software issues most likely.  and probably one that would be a bitch to track down ..

you probably know whats coming next, when did you last install windows ? 

This is a fairly fresh install of Windows. Maybe 3 months ago. I tend to agree this is software related but no clue how to figure that out. I have been closing down programs to see if it goes away but it's so intermittent I'm not sure how well that will work.

Damn. This is now happening like ever 20 seconds. Just died from it because I randomly go running out from behind cover and can't do anything about it. This is really irritating.

I also had it happen when I wasn't moving at all (I was on the back of a bike) and I couldn't open the map so it has nothing to do with moving or ever key presses (I don't think). It's just like the game randomly stops accepting any input from the keyboard and if I happen to be moving when it happens it just continues the last thing I was doing (hence the autorun). All actions I have bound to my mouse still work and I can mouselook but keyboard input dies.

Next time it happens I will try to move my hand to my actual keyboard (not the G13) and see if keystrokes there work. I have been playing PUBG for so long and the whole time with a G13 so it makes no sense why this would start happening out of the blue a couple months ago.

wouldn't be anything to do with it having a bunch of macro keys and so potentially the anti cheat team of battleye could write code to block features of this and cause issues ? 

Yes test if the keyboard is responsive in these moments. if its every 20 seconds it should be easy to test.

is it also worth looking into unplugging the keyboard while using the G13 ? could there be a conflict ?  is there a second system you can connect the G13 to, to test it on ?