Pick Six

Ever wonder why the X needs an SSD now?

Before last May, rendering on the One X was as good or better than we have now with an SSD.  Buildings loaded in the far distance while parachuting, no playdough buildings, you could see weapons and guide your chute to them before hitting the ground. This was the same rendering pattern that PC had and the X could handle it. 

Then PUBG tried to help out the OG Xbox by implementing predictive rendering (rendering optimized for the OG console). They we're lazy and instead of using two different rendering builds for the different consoles, they forced X users to use it too. This did not allow the X to render everything simultaneously. It forced the X to render one thing at a time and moved weapons to server side to slow the rendering speed. 

They have tried to do this 3 or 4 times since last last May and each time rendering has gotten worse. The only way they can improve it on the OG is to keep holding back certain objects and textures so the critical ones can load in first. 

This is why the X now requires an SSD because we are using rendering that is optimized for the OG console. This is probably effecting the PS4 too. Only PUBG would ruin rendering for half of it's players to improve it for the others. The bad part is, the OG isn't fixed and they are going to keep doing this.

X users need their own build making it the best it can be for them  The current X is in no way enhanced. They should feel ashamed when an X user complains about rendering and playdough buildings and especially when users are forced to buy an SSD because they created this issue. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I miss those days. When I could parachute to Military and land on which gun I wanted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XboxVictim said:

I miss those days. When I could parachute to Military and land on which gun I wanted.

Yes weapons rendered as fast as your hardware would allow. Now an SSD doesn't even help you with weapons. 

• Like 2

Just imagine how fast an SSD would render on the X if rendering was optimized actually optimized for the X. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I played PUBG on its release day on xbox, december 2017. Installed on ssd external at that point as i'd been using that setup for a couple of years anyway - on the X1X i could see every building on Erangel when i jumped out of the plane.

Sure it was buggy and we suffered plenty of crashes........ but it was still awesome. I said it ages ago, this one-size-fits-all approach was and still is a terrible idea, especially from Microsoft's POV. "Enhanced for the Xbox1X" was one of the taglines....... some joke that was.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Before May? dude, this game has been crap rendering since release even on the X.

• RIP 3

i land first on lobster, have to run around on roof for 10 seconds or jump to second floor to find a spawned gun... kinda defeats purpose of landing first. was going to buy SSD once they fix the game with a hotfix but if people are saying it doesn't fix much i won't bother

They did change the rendering algorithm but X w/o ssd has never rendered with performance equal to X w/ssd.

• Like 3
  • RIP 2

16 minutes ago, Unrated882 said:

They did change the rendering algorithm but X w/o ssd has never rendered with performance equal to X w/ssd.

Yes it was. You did not need an SSD. The rendering distance was absolutely better, there was no playdough and high level textures were loaded when you landed. What else could you ask for.  This is all the fault of PUBG developers for changing this. An SSD is a requirement to get the same level of rendering now. I'm a fan of SSD's. I own 4 of them but the game is in a bad spot right now and rendering could be far far better with and without SSD on the X. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rivz said:

Before May? dude, this game has been crap rendering since release even on the X.

Not true, there was a time back in preview where the X rendered/loaded weapons in before you landed. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think I’ve been one of the lucky ones, I never had rendering issues on my 1x without a SSD, I upgraded to one anyway and still don’t have any play doh or significant rendering problems. Building are rendered before I hit the ground but they defo are slower than they used to be and yeah it’s annoying you have to wait for guns when you know your machine can render them quicker.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 12121 said:

i land first on lobster, have to run around on roof for 10 seconds or jump to second floor to find a spawned gun... kinda defeats purpose of landing first. was going to buy SSD once they fix the game with a hotfix but if people are saying it doesn't fix much i won't bother

An SSD makes a huge difference. There's a thread on the 1st page that shows video of the rendering performance between an OG xbox, a 1x, 1x with an SSD and a 1S I believe. Go check that out decide for yourself.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, beavykins said:

I think I’ve been one of the lucky ones, I never had rendering issues on my 1x without a SSD, I upgraded to one anyway and still don’t have any play doh or significant rendering problems. Building are rendered before I hit the ground but they defo are slower than they used to be and yeah it’s annoying you have to wait for guns when you know your machine can render them quicker.

Try parachuting at castle and check then.... my mates using a external hdd which is faster than the internal as it’s 7,200rpm and he still has buttery buildings in some instances on vikendi... can’t see how your not having the same issue as everyone else lol.

Sorry ignore my post I never read it correctly and didn’t notice you’ve now got a SSD. So you won’t have these issues I mentioned 

Edited by BuckStar
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Goofy The Scot said:

I played PUBG on its release day on xbox, december 2017. Installed on ssd external at that point as i'd been using that setup for a couple of years anyway - on the X1X i could see every building on Erangel when i jumped out of the plane.

Sure it was buggy and we suffered plenty of crashes........ but it was still awesome. I said it ages ago, this one-size-fits-all approach was and still is a terrible idea, especially from Microsoft's POV. "Enhanced for the Xbox1X" was one of the taglines....... some joke that was.

I remember this as well, and didn't have an SSD. 

The crashes we experienced were directly related to 3D character model in the inventory screen and driving vehicles. 

At the time, rendering was perfect the way it was, they just needed to remove the 3D character model, fix the driving a vehicle crash, and fix the low FPS in gunfights. had they gone that route, the game would have been perfectly fine

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dabomb123 said:

I remember this as well, and didn't have an SSD. 

The crashes we experienced were directly related to 3D character model in the inventory screen and driving vehicles. 

At the time, rendering was perfect the way it was, they just needed to remove the 3D character model, fix the driving a vehicle crash, and fix the low FPS in gunfights. had they gone that route, the game would have been perfectly fine

The crashes were not related to the 3d character model.. they were mostly caused by a memory leak that occured everytime you opened your menu to loot which filled the cache and eventually crashed the machine. the fact that the 3d character model was shown when you opened the menu was coincidental and not the cause of the crashes.

Game used to load perfectly even without a SSD on the X, weapons loaded before I landed which helped with parachutting in.

As I have said from the start his is the only supposed XB1X enhanced game that runs the same file size on OG xb as the XB1X, every other game has additional download for the 1X.

They have gone backwards with every patch to make every console run like shit now rather than trying to make it run anyway half decent on at least one version of the XB.

• Like 3

I understand the OG needs a lot of help. But everyone knows PUBG has decided to give very few resources and developers to the 4 consoles. They are spending all their time trying (with no success)to make the game playable on the OG Xbox and occasionally porting PC created content.  All the downgrades to help the OG are being forced on the other consoles when they could have just left them alone.  Meanwhile no improvements are being made anywhere else in the game. 

8 hours ago, Pick Six said:

Just imagine how fast an SSD would render on the X if rendering was optimized actually optimized for the X. 

Last year an SSD rendered only a LITTLE  faster vs a One X without an SSD. They were practically on par, at least that was my experience.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, XboxVictim said:

Last year an SSD rendered only a LITTLE  faster vs a One X without an SSD. They were practically on par, at least that was my experience.

I agree this was the case when I first bought my SSD. I remember only buying one to get back in game faster after a crash. It was frustrating to crash 20 minutes into a game. I could make it back from a crash in about 40 seconds where it took two minutes without the SSD and I could sometimes salvage the round. I would also make into the pregame lobby really quick.  I really didn't notice buildings or textures loading faster although I'm sure there was some improvement.

Too bad now it's almost a requirement on the X after multiple changes to help the OG console. X USERS DESERVE A SEPERATE RENDERING OPTION THAT IS OPTIMIZED FOR THEIR CONSOLE. 

Edited by Pick Six
  • Like 2

The location of the weapons/items is done server side. my weapons are always on the ground when i hot drop unless im playing out of region, then its up to a 3 second delay.

9 hours ago, Pick Six said:

Yes it was. You did not need an SSD. The rendering distance was absolutely better, there was no playdough and high level textures were loaded when you landed. What else could you ask for.  This is all the fault of PUBG developers for changing this. An SSD is a requirement to get the same level of rendering now. I'm a fan of SSD's. I own 4 of them but the game is in a bad spot right now and rendering could be far far better with and without SSD on the X. 

This isn’t an argument for non ssd >= ssd

What utterly amazes me is that we are in YEAR TWO of this game, and its still going backwards. They fix something that makes the game finally playable, only to break it again in the next update. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VinnieB said:

Not true, there was a time back in preview where the X rendered/loaded weapons in before you landed. 

The good old days. It was like that for quite a long time I think.

I remember being able to change which apartment roof I would land on because I could see a better gun on the next building.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The OG Xbox version should be retired and this should be an ‘X exclusive’ game, I personally believe. As a heavily advertised game for the X by Microsoft, they’ve really cocked this up. 

Edited by AK R 47
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AK R 47 said:

The OG Xbox version should be retired and this should be an ‘X exclusive’ game, I personally believe. As a heavily advertised game for the X by Microsoft, they’ve really cocked this up. 

The bad thing is the game is currently being built around what the OG can handle. Zero optimizations for the X. 4k is a joke my 1440p PC looks far better. I would gladly play 1080p low settings for 45-60 fps. 

• Like 1