noofy

Footstep sounds broken?

People sneak up on me in unusual ways and replay shows they're full sprint and sound is perfectly normal. It happens way too often for comfort. I remember when it was a myth that you heard footsteps better in replay/spectator. Now, it's definitely not a myth. The footstep sounds are being highly anomalous the past few patches. A teammate right next to you can hear something the other mate doesn't, when they're purposely standing still and trying to listen.

And then the same scenario happens, and they both hear the exact same thing. I've been seeing many streamers, for a while now, complain about the anomalies in footstep volume. Sometimes you hear perfectly fine; other times, bizarre things happen that make zero sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, noofy said:

People sneak up on me in unusual ways and replay shows they're full sprint and sound is perfectly normal. It happens way too often for comfort. I remember when it was a myth that you heard footsteps better in replay/spectator. Now, it's definitely not a myth. The footstep sounds are being highly anomalous the past few patches. A teammate right next to you can hear something the other mate doesn't, when they're purposely standing still and trying to listen.

And then the same scenario happens, and they both hear the exact same thing. I've been seeing many streamers, for a while now, complain about the anomalies in footstep volume. Sometimes you hear perfectly fine; other times, bizarre things happen that make zero sense.

+1 exact same shit here

• Like 1

yes - i had some sound problems too in the last few weeks

no footsteps

shot sounds completely missing (my mate knocks someone with the kar - didnt even hear him shoot)
grenade pin removal sound missing

• Like 1

Not only footsteps and movement sounds but from time to time my game makes a fragmented gunshot sound too, and it’s happened at times when there’s no one around and I’m still parachuting and my duos buddy won’t hear it.

Edited by Toastermunnky
  • Like 1

On my USB headset sounds are definitely broken. I can hear my enemy only when he is meters away from me. I can see him sprinting to my location, and only when he gets within a couple of meters I start to hear him.

I have no problem whatsoever with footstep sound on any other game but this.

However, when i switch to my 3.5 mm audio jack headsets, the sound experience greatly increases.

• Like 1

The overall sound is broken ... that's the problem.

A guy stopped with his motorbike at 5 m away from me ... and he sounded like he was 100+ m away. His friend was driving mirado somewhere on my left side ...but i heard him on right.

And so on ... everything was broken yesterday in terms of sound and not only yesterday. Everyday same shit.

Weird sounds, you can't understand where the plane is when he is passing you ... random footsteps, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goofie82 said:

Had the same problem and gave hrtf a try. Works now better then before i can finally here my enemys again

the hrtf option is only for gunshots, for everything else hrtf is always enabled, so you are expiriencing a placebo..

• Like 2

footstep sound dont work since weeks.... i reported in the bug section.... no answer, no fix.....

same with gunshoots and grenades at shanok....  sounds like near u...  fix it???   sorry....

Edited by TorrroTorrro
  • Like 1

Its even worse on Vikendi, the night version. All you hear there is the retarded wind howling. 

Had a guy run up to me, within 5 metres and i couldnt here him comming. 

Fix Pubg? Nah, not so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mullenuff said:

Its even worse on Vikendi, the night version. All you hear there is the retarded wind howling. 

Fix Pubg? Nah, not so much.

the ugly fly sound on miramar is crazy too...

• Like 1

Yes, this has been broken for far too long. It wasn't AS broken a few months ago, but I've definitely been noticing a gradual degradation in PUBG's audio fidelity. They need to address it because it's not competitive at all, and this causes newer players to the game to have a more difficult time discerning what "good plays" are. The sound being this bad fundamentally disrupts the game in ways some may not immediately realize.

It's not a small deal.

5 minutes ago, noofy said:

Yes, this has been broken for far too long. It wasn't AS broken a few months ago, but I've definitely been noticing a gradual degradation in PUBG's audio fidelity. They need to address it because it's not competitive at all, and this causes newer players to the game to have a more difficult time discerning what "good plays" are. The sound being this bad fundamentally disrupts the game in ways some may not immediately realize.

It's not a small deal.

Actly my "again" reffers to so many things broken in this game... not only footsteps. People complain for same things for 2 years, topics here are the sae as over year ago.

• Like 1

The latest sound issue for me is when driving a vehicle there is an added sound as if there is a vehicle following behind ne,, usually on my left rear,, lol. 

Agree footstep sounds are not right anymore,, just no consistency to the location.

• Like 2

It's always been an issue. I bought the game back in April, 2017. Nothing has been done to address it. They often forget to update the patch notes when they make footstep sound changes, like when they added HRTF to footsteps that didn't work right, or a few patches ago when they increased the range, which also doesn't work right.

Edited by MrHappyPenguin
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 7:51 AM, Mullenuff said:

Funny how wind can mask sounds in real life. Huh.

I know it's a lot of work, but I really wish at some point down the road they go through all of the audio, piece by piece, and re-evaluate their volume and drop-off distances. Possibly even apply new sounds entirely.

One thing I'd especially love to see (hear?) is some audio adjustments for sounds emanating from above or below me.

Also, consistency between the sounds I hear myself make and the sounds other players actually hear me make. Even if the sound I make is much louder to me than it is to the enemy would be fine. But there have been instances where I jump and practically make no audible sound when landing on my end, but then get killed from an alerted enemy - then when watching the replay, my landing sounds like a meteor hitting the ground. So, some consistency would be great.

Edited by R315r4z0r

PUBG can only play so many sounds around you and may reach a certain limit and not play new sounds that may be creeping around your location.

seems like they do not prioritize to whats closest to you but rather the first come first serve.

Edited by Joker88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9EMmYEV64o

Rev0verDrive explained how the unreal engine handled sounds a while back but I can't seem to find the post. maybe you can dig it up. I believe the main issue is how the unreal engine gives a lot of parameters for developers to determine which sounds can be heard. but these parameters must be set for each structure and a set 3d area on the map. the possibility of somebody screwing up some of the 10's of thousands or possibly even more sound profile locations on the map is 100%. in the above video the problem being heard may only be associated for this small location.

There's lots of sound issues at the moment. Sometimes it's like I can hear someone's left foot hitting the floor but not the right. Like I hear every other step. Think it's when someone is above me. Anyone else got that?