Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pajama dad

I think I'm getting my team killed

I need a new setup. 

My headset and controller just don't seem compatible on my OG xbox. There's a low constant buzz in my teams ear because of it, which means they have to adjust their volumes to keep communication manageable. 

I've noticed that my most frequent buddy is always getting caught off guard by people nearby and dying. Its not his fault, but its definitely not a coincidence.

Suggestions? I'm not switching out my Razer Wildcat, but I think a wireless headset my be good. Nothing expensive though, I'm too much of a miser.

That or I switch out my OG and take my sons'  xbox S- that doesn't give the buzz.

7 minutes ago, pajama dad said:

I need a new setup. 

My headset and controller just don't seem compatible on my OG xbox. There's a low constant buzz in my teams ear because of it, which means they have to adjust their volumes to keep communication manageable. 

I've noticed that my most frequent buddy is always getting caught off guard by people nearby and dying. Its not his fault, but its definitely not a coincidence.

Suggestions? I'm not switching out my Razer Wildcat, but I think a wireless headset my be good. Nothing expensive though, I'm too much of a miser.

That or I switch out my OG and take my sons'  xbox S- that doesn't give the buzz.

I tried and returned 5 or 6 different head sets from $50-$250 before I settled on the Turtle 700 $150 they are wireless a little heavy but work great.

Is the controller wired or do you plug it in often? the USB plug in with the Jack causes the buzz during party chat. I have xbox elite with the hyper x cloud 2 and even when plugging my elite controller in the party can hear a buzzing noise.

Just now, WainZ0r said:

Is the controller wired or do you plug it in often? the USB plug in with the Jack causes the buzz during party chat. I have xbox elite with the hyper x cloud 2 and even when plugging my elite controller in the party can hear a buzzing noise.

Yeah its a wired controller, and a wired headset through the controller. I've always though it was the jack on my OG as there is no buzzing on my S.

Usually it's to do with the USB or micro USB connected to the controller and not being great with the 3.5 Jack, I'm not sure if have one of the filters or chat mixers plugged in first would help  might be a cheap check before buying a new controller.

1 minute ago, WainZ0r said:

Usually it's to do with the USB or micro USB connected to the controller and not being great with the 3.5 Jack, I'm not sure if have one of the filters or chat mixers plugged in first would help  might be a cheap check before buying a new controller.

What do you mean? Chat mixer?

I'm definitely not buying a new controller. The Razer Wildcat is the most comfortable controller I've ever used. I could use a new headset though. I'm using some cheap $40 dollar thing...

1 minute ago, pajama dad said:

What do you mean? Chat mixer?

I'm definitely not buying a new controller. The Razer Wildcat is the most comfortable controller I've ever used. I could use a new headset though. I'm using some cheap $40 dollar thing...

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8628350?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|acid:532-198-3455|cid:598901029|agid:24318019850|tid:pla-511371347710|crid:86893572530|nw:s|rnd:16833414183417810926|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9044952&gclid=CjwKCAjwm-fkBRBBEiwA966fZIO1UnvSljBEDYX09zSPpjdOl624lIl4IlV0GmSEvhwXeVzP5wG9yBoCAv0QAvD_BwE

Something like this mate.

Ah ok, I still think that it's the USB, I did a little research on it due to having the power A enhanced wired controller but it was terrible through the Jack and the sound was horrible. Then the solution may be a wireless set, not sure how cheap you can get them for though.

I have a lucid sound ls30. Pricey but functions great. Separate controls for chat and game volume which I've been having a hard time finding. Xbox you have to have it wired to the controller for chat which is annoying but PC and PS4 it's completely wireless. My only qualm is the head strap is made of cheap plastic. It lasted 2 years but now it broke and they wont do anything about it. Everything else works great so not buying a new headset, had to improvise. Piece of aluminum stock formed, added a piece of tape in the middle also for more stability.

1552509057021.jpg

14 hours ago, WainZ0r said:

Ah ok, I still think that it's the USB, I did a little research on it due to having the power A enhanced wired controller but it was terrible through the Jack and the sound was horrible. Then the solution may be a wireless set, not sure how cheap you can get them for though.

I went with some astros- A20s on sale. they're heavy! but no buzzing.

@pajama dad

I have purchased quite a few headsets testing them out. Here is what I can tell you on the Turtle Beach's and Astro's. I will post prices at the bottom.

Turtle Beach 600 was the first headset I purchased. I had zero issues with them but wanted to get something a little nicer. I use this headset at the office as it is still a good headset. The mic feels stiff when you flip it up to mute mic and the ear pads feel rough and not forgiving for long game play. If you wear glasses or play for long periods these are not the best. Sound Mix is done by two wheel type volume knobs, not the best but still works. (Note: if you purchase these do a hardware update before using!) 

My next headset was the Turtle Beach 700's. Great headset with a few flaws. Sound was great, ear pads feel great, and mic flipped up to mute with ease. Only issue I had with these was after a while of play the headset sound would get messed up and when I spoke it would sound like a robot to my party. Reset the headset and it would go back to normal. Another person I know that has this headset has the same issue. Sound Mix is done by two wheel type volume knobs, not the best but still works. There is an app that you can use on this headset with your phone to make sound adjustments. Mic monitor level, tones level, voice prompt level, audio preset, and chat boost. (Note: if you purchase these do a hardware update before using!)

Up next everyone in my group was getting into streaming and the word on the street was Astro's was what all the streamers are using so I purchased a set of the Astro A50's. $300 for a headset is quite an investment, but I found an open box on Amazon for $200 and I said why not. Out of the box the mic sounds horrible, but the headset sounds great. Astro has a command center program where you can adjust every setting including: your mic level and tone, custom eq setting's where you can use 4 different set ups, and stream settings. Setting up the command center is the only way to get the best sound possible out of this headset. Another note on the Astro Command Center is there are forums where people who test out different sound set ups post their configuration. You can find quite a few PUBG settings, as well as post questions to ask if you have any issues. As far as mix goes, on the side of the headphones you can press either to the left or right of the ear pad adjusting the mix of game sound vs party chat sound. Here is why this is great. In a vehicle or in redone sometimes the game drowns out your party and you can't tell what the party is saying. Just a few taps on the ear pad and you are back in business. Do you have a friends who vape, or is my kiddo in the background annoying you, or is the party a little rowdy just adjust on the ear pad. This is easier compared to the two volume knobs on the Turtle Beach headsets. I always had to pull the headset off my head to adjust. One issue I had was these run on a 5ghz signal and I ha to adjust my wifi channels because it was causing interference. Once I changed it I haven't seen the issue again. Here is my biggest complaint with the Astor's the base is nice because you set the headset in to charge. Sometimes I don't get the headset aligned properly and they don't charge. You can use a small battery pack with a usb but still the design of the base charging is pretty bad.

One option you might look at is the Astro A20's as they use the Command Center as well. I have tested them out at the Pax show but do not own a pair. The have a master volume knob with two buttons you press to adjust the mix. (Note no surround sound)

As you can see they all have their benefits and drawbacks. I am pro Astro, but would never turn anyone away from the Turtle Beach's.

Pricing:

Astro A50's - $299 new - $170 used on Amazon Prime

Astro A20's - $120 new - $80 used on Amazon Prime

Turtle Beach 600 - $99 new - $70 used on Amazon Prime

Turtle Beach 700 - $150 new - $107 used on Amazon Prime

Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2.  

zero sound issues.  Elminate the wifi connection and get a wired headset (true wired).  You went with a wired controller for the same reason correct?

4 minutes ago, Balloonknot said:

Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2.  

zero sound issues.  Elminate the wifi connection and get a wired headset (true wired).  You went with a wired controller for the same reason correct?

I like wired because I hate dealing with batteries. So when I saw that the Razer wildcat was wired and offered programmable buttons like the elite controller AND was on sale for $80 I jumped on it.

Turns out its the most comfortable controller I've ever used. The buttons are mechanical- like a mouse- the sticks feel good... But because its wired running a headset through it will often give a buzzing sound to your party. It has something to do with the USB connection on my OG xbox, as there is no buzzing when using a standard wireless controller, or when playing on my xbox1 S.

1 minute ago, pajama dad said:

I like wired because I hate dealing with batteries. So when I saw that the Razer wildcat was wired and offered programmable buttons like the elite controller AND was on sale for $80 I jumped on it.

Turns out its the most comfortable controller I've ever used. The buttons are mechanical- like a mouse- the sticks feel good... But because its wired running a headset through it will often give a buzzing sound to your party. It has something to do with the USB connection on my OG xbox, as there is no buzzing when using a standard wireless controller, or when playing on my xbox1 S.

I still use the Xbox controllers but I have a usb that I will use.  If I get a few disconnections on the controller, I will pull out the 15ft wire.  The Elite Pro2 headset is wired via USB to the xbox, not through the controller so its pretty good.  I havent seen any other headset offers like that that are up to date on tech.

1 hour ago, pajama dad said:

I went with some astros- A20s on sale. they're heavy! but no buzzing.

Good to hear mate, glad you got it sorted.