Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

divi_india

Increasing replay limits!

Recommended Posts

Are you considering increasing replay limits from 20 to say 100, because each replay file is never more 35-40 MB.

Also is there any possibility of saving replays forever than don't count in the limit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, divi_india said:

Are you considering increasing replay limits from 20 to say 100, because each replay file is never more 35-40 MB.

Also is there any possibility of saving replays forever than don't count in the limit

 

I would highly doubt it. While that may seem like a small amount for you, what about the millions of game played every month by millions of people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always copy replay files out of the folder and into another one to save them (and copy them back to play them).  The bigger issue is that they deprecate replay formats, so you can't play older replays after certain updates...like the one coming up next week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, my_cholula said:

 

I would highly doubt it. While that may seem like a small amount for you, what about the millions of game played every month by millions of people?

 

The games played by other people are unconnected to the replays. Replays are recorded and stored locally

 

5 hours ago, divi_india said:

Are you considering increasing replay limits from 20 to say 100, because each replay file is never more 35-40 MB.

Also is there any possibility of saving replays forever than don't count in the limit

 

Keep in mind that when some updates are done to the game, replay files can become inaccessible. Typically I would imagine that 20 replays should be enough for people to refer to, and now with the new replay editor studio you can easily capture those moments to share. I don't believe there is a technical limitation for how many are stored, but more of an overall storage reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Takarii said:

 

The games played by other people are unconnected to the replays. Replays are recorded and stored locally

 

 

They are stored locally and on the server. The server will hold the replay the period of the report period for cheaters. That is so the operator reading the report can connect to the server and pull the file and jump to the position of the report and see it playing back.

 

For you as client, the locally stored file is just there for you, and if you want to use it to report players as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Takarii said:

 

The games played by other people are unconnected to the replays. Replays are recorded and stored locally

 

Interesting. I assumed they were used for cheats, etc, and thus stored on a server. Thanks for the info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, just save them in another location on your computer. The game itself over rights the files only in the original folder.

 

And if it's that important, record your gameplay or demo with third party software bexusse after some updates, you cant view them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

 

They are stored locally and on the server. The server will hold the replay the period of the report period for cheaters. That is so the operator reading the report can connect to the server and pull the file and jump to the position of the report and see it playing back.

 

For you as client, the locally stored file is just there for you, and if you want to use it to report players as well. 

 

That is incorrect. Reports use a clip that comes from the client. The server does not record the game

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Takarii what you say is interesting in light of all the data that is actually available via the API.  If people can program 2D simulations of a round with the data available via the API, but you're saying the server doesn't save replay data....then, where does the API get its information?  All the replay file contains is a bunch of event data for those players in a 1km radius. Surely the server is saving all that event data for use by the API.

 

Also, how the reporting system works may very well be different. Though I'd think instead of clipping and sending video, I'd clip and send event data (smaller, faster, easier).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Armastadt said:

@Takarii what you say is interesting in light of all the data that is actually available via the API.  If people can program 2D simulations of a round with the data available via the API, but you're saying the server doesn't save replay data....then, where does the API get its information?  All the replay file contains is a bunch of event data for those players in a 1km radius. Surely the server is saving all that event data for use by the API.

 

The sheer quantity of data that the server would be required to store to provide a full 3d replay based on all players at the same time would be insane. The API provides co-ordinates via its tememetry but not on the level that would allow a full 3d reconstruction of what was actually seen. Essentially it is a "lite" version of the replay that shows specific events, but not every individual movement and action performed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...