Auturgist

Why do we still have the Red Zone when literally nobody likes it?

Artillery has been a factor in combat for quite a while now. May I recommend reducing the sound levels on indv systems if it is creating a problem. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2019 at 7:59 PM, DeadlyEggXoP said:

Much as that comment is tongue in cheek,  its also true .. if you keep dying to the redzone, there is something wrong with you not the game.

That video marks the first time in weeks I've died to the red zone. This is part of the issue: running through the red zone actually rarely kills you -- MOST OF THE TIME, it's just a really annoying mechanic that inconveniences players. When it DOES kill you, it's insult added to injury. So why have it at all?

fobyac keeps giving me shit for my initial proposal of an alarm, but like, here's another possible alternative: a loudspeaker announcement (not unlike in the film BATTLE ROYALE) throughout the zone that warns of the closing blue zone periodically that would serve TWO functions: it would give players an audio cue when the blue zone is going to start closing, AND it could be loud enough to serve as audio cover for people making moves.

The random Game Over aspect of red zones is stupid, though.

Edited by Auturgist

7 hours ago, Auturgist said:

fobyac keeps giving me shit for my initial proposal of an alarm, but like, here's another possible alternative: a loudspeaker announcement (not unlike in the film BATTLE ROYALE) throughout the zone that warns of the closing blue zone periodically that would serve TWO functions: it would give players an audio cue when the blue zone is going to start closing, AND it could be loud enough to serve as audio cover for people making moves.

Sorry you feel that reasoned argument equates to giving you shit, seeing as absolutely no one weighed in on your suggestion though is an indicator that maybe I had a point?

I actually like the idea of the loudspeaker announcement for the blue zone. It would replace the messages on the screen which I find jarring and non immersive (much like the flare ones). It would have to be applied sensibly though. Either have some more structures holding loudspeakers, or attach them to existing ones. Of course, if you are too far away from the speakers you wouldn't be able to hear it as well, or at all if you were far enough out (in a boat at sea on Erangel for example)

Still, I think this should be in addition to the red zone.

I agree the amount of times I die to a red zone while traversing it is comparatively low and I also think they could change it so you don't have times when you get out of one red zone to have the next one drop on you (my record was 3 in a row 🙄)

BUT

unless the zone drops on you, it is always a choice to traverse it. You don't have to go through it. It's not an enjoyable experience for sure but then it's an artillery barrage. There is literally nothing attractive about it but as a game mechanic it works. It does what it's supposed to which isn't to rub salt in your wounds when you die to it.

7 hours ago, Auturgist said:

The random Game Over aspect of red zones is stupid, though

Outside of your personal level of skill and tactics, this whole game is RNG. As I said earlier the way the red zones drop can be infuriating but that's my only gripe with it.

Everyone hates losing too so maybe we can take that out of the game :)

I hate that damn redzone too. Would be very happy if they removed it. Game already has PLENTY of rng IMO but one of the things that makes PUBG a standout game is making strange and non cookie cutter decisions so I'll deal with it. 

I died once in hundreds of games, not a problem imo, but the sound when you are close is annoying . Then comes the airplanes , etc etc :)) 

To OP - to add to the chorus as others have already stated

- Most people don't mind it, myself being included

- Red Zone is meant to be an 'antagonist' element

-  Please don't use the word 'literally' when you don't understand what it means.

- Artillery has been in plenty of games in various guises

- This game has nothing to do with the film other than the very basic premise of BR

Seriously - just get over it. I don't like it when someone shoots me but hey....

2 hours ago, Jedediah said:

Everyone hates losing too so maybe we can take that out of the game :)

Now we're talking! Until they make that happen in game I just pretend that everyone that kills me is a cheater. Therefore I didn't really lose.

*Ilikethatyouactuallyusedlosingandnotloosing.Petpeevesthatannoy*

• Haha 1

The Redzone is also one of the PvE elements of the game, so not everything has to be PvP. Almost everyone knows the dangers of the artillery, so it can be avoided, or the choice can be made to challenge it. Player choice; that is a key factor for me. 

3 minutes ago, The_Ancient_One said:

The Redzone is also one of the PvE elements of the game, so not everything has to be PvP. Almost everyone knows the dangers of the artillery, so it can be avoided, or the choice can be made to challenge it. Player choice; that is a key factor for me. 

I wouldn't mind the Redzone so much if it wasn't so deafening. I also don't think it should just take you out. RNG elements are one thing but having an RNG element that just kills you immediately is just irritating IMO. Sure, many times you can take steps to avoid it by staying indoors but sometimes you are forced to run through it either because of other players or other RNG elements like the circle. Maybe if it did 50% dmg instead of immediate kill it would be more bearable. In any event..I have long since accepted it and don't expect it to change.

13 minutes ago, The_Ancient_One said:

the dangers of the artillery

Sure, in real life. But the red zone is like a 1% chance of getting blown up in game. In all my games played I have been hit only twice. So I'd say it's more like a .2 percent chance of getting hit. And I don't run away from red zones. I run through them all the time. I'll use them to close the distance on some random joe who took shelter in a house and then ambush them when they exit the house.

Because Bluehole doesn't thing like other companies, they like to do the opposite of what the players want.

Otherwise they would have remove the redzone after week 1 of the game, and put more focus on cheaters before the game died.

2 hours ago, Sidartha said:

I wouldn't mind the Redzone so much if it wasn't so deafening. I also don't think it should just take you out. RNG elements are one thing but having an RNG element that just kills you immediately is just irritating IMO. Sure, many times you can take steps to avoid it by staying indoors but sometimes you are forced to run through it either because of other players or other RNG elements like the circle. Maybe if it did 50% dmg instead of immediate kill it would be more bearable. In any event..I have long since accepted it and don't expect it to change.

As with RL artillery, use hearing protection; in game, try reducing the volume. And artillery is designed to take out armor, personnel, etc. I was once killed in an attic on Erengel  (guess I was too close to a window), and I was upset for a moment until I recalled this is what artillery is designed to do. Now as far as instant death, I might agree that placing a large amt of damage that could be reduced via armor might be an alternative, but I am still for the Red Zone being implemented. 

2 hours ago, xTekx_1 said:

Sure, in real life. But the red zone is like a 1% chance of getting blown up in game. In all my games played I have been hit only twice. So I'd say it's more like a .2 percent chance of getting hit. And I don't run away from red zones. I run through them all the time. I'll use them to close the distance on some random joe who took shelter in a house and then ambush them when they exit the house.

Then count yourself as lucky, as I have been killed more often than this, and I also am aware of the precautions. But I do challenge these stats; seem fabricated more than factual. 

1 hour ago, erkogbg said:

Because Bluehole doesn't thing like other companies, they like to do the opposite of what the players want.

Otherwise they would have remove the redzone after week 1 of the game, and put more focus on cheaters before the game died.

🙄 May depend on the players, as I am getting a large amt of my wishes met (eg; M16 burst is being fixed). I still do not have breathing mechanics that fits a soldier, but still have my Red Zone, so it ain't all bad. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Ancient_One said:

Then count yourself as lucky, as I have been killed more often than this, and I also am aware of the precautions. But I do challenge these stats; seem fabricated more than factual. 

Fabricated? This is from my own personal experience. I have been playing since the March or April of 2017. I have a ton of games, yet only twice been hit by redzone artillery? Either i'm the luckiest player in PUBG (not hardly) or the chances really are that low.

First time I was waiting to ambush a guy hiding in a house with a crossbow on Erangel. Second time was squad play and I got caught by a blast as we were running to the next compound... somewhere on Miramar.

I am not super fan of Blue Hole when I have dropped in a no-west no-backpack area and redzone decides to triple hit my area. They COULD instroduce an algorithm that checked if the new redzone is or is not overlapping the PRIOR redzone with more or less than 50%.

Some times it feels like retarded with retarded on top.

4 hours ago, HeyokaOki said:

The redzone on mobile recieved a buff. It's become a real annoyance now. 

No one cares about Mobile.

Honestly, it might be trying to add another dynamic to the game, but it really isn't well made. It's actually just frustrating. In fact, i came off the game just now after dying to the red zone because i was in the open with no cover around at all and the zone was far. Sure it can cause a few funny moments but after a while the funniness wears off and you are just pissed off. For real, remove it or CHANGE it so it doesn't spawn on when there are no buildings nearby, or it doesn't instakill or something.

3 hours ago, The_Ancient_One said:

As with RL artillery, use hearing protection; in game, try reducing the volume. And artillery is designed to take out armor, personnel, etc. I was once killed in an attic on Erengel  (guess I was too close to a window), and I was upset for a moment until I recalled this is what artillery is designed to do. Now as far as instant death, I might agree that placing a large amt of damage that could be reduced via armor might be an alternative, but I am still for the Red Zone being implemented. 

Saying to use hearing protection when people are wearing headsets is a bit absurd and what people experience in RL artillery is irrelevant in a video game. The only remedy is to mute the volume but then..doesn't that say something about the game if you have to literally MUTE the sound to avoid hearing damage? I know most of the people I play with and streamers I watch all mute during the redzone but it's kind of absurd to have to do that.

Also, the whole RL argument is tired and played out so please just stop. Nobody cares about "RL". This isn't RL..not even remotely close to it. Just because the game has "realism" as a theme in the game doesn't mean our ears need to bleed for the sake of "RL".

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sidartha said:

Saying to use hearing protection when people are wearing headsets is a bit absurd and what people experience in RL artillery is irrelevant in a video game. The only remedy is to mute the volume but then..doesn't that say something about the game if you have to literally MUTE the sound to avoid hearing damage? I know most of the people I play with and streamers I watch all mute during the redzone but it's kind of absurd to have to do that.

Also, the whole RL argument is tired and played out so please just stop. Nobody cares about "RL". This isn't RL..not even remotely close to it. Just because the game has "realism" as a theme in the game doesn't mean our ears need to bleed for the sake of "RL".

Then forget RL, and remember that this is based off of a film; one that seemed to have artillery. And lowering the sound to less than Daredevil levels helps me; aka hearing protection. No need to mute it, but no need to crank it to 11 either. I understand this is more of an issue with FPP players, but no need to hear breathing and footsteps three doors down the block. 

Posted (edited)

I hate the redzone. It has killed me more times by explosions while INSIDE A BUILDING than players have.

Edited by MrHappyPenguin

I don't mind that there are RNG elements in the game but should they outright kill you directly? Would people also be in favor of weapons/grenades randomly misfiring and blowing up in your hand/face..killing you instantly because..."RL"? How about people just randomly dropping dead from lightning strikes or heart attacks? I mean come on it would add so much "RL" to the game! 🙄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sidartha said:

the only remedy is to mute the volume but then..doesn't that say something about the game if you have to literally MUTE the sound to avoid hearing damage?

That is a tad dramatic. 

To run the risk of receiving permanent hearing damage you need to be exposed to one of two things, (assuming no hearing protection). Either after sudden, extremely loud explosive noises or more usually prolonged lower level exposures to noise over a number of years. 

Now, I'm going to assume that in general people here are not stupid to the point of having their headsets on a dangerously high volume for years so let's look at the other cause. The red zone definitely falls into the category of extremely loud. It is after all supposed to represent the effect of being caught in an artillery barrage.

Here's the thing though. It's never a sudden event. You have a textual warning of the red zone mechanic being brought into play initially. You have a visual indicator of a giant red circle on your map. Finally, you also have the sound of the guns firing.

It doesn't matter what situation you find yourself in you have more than enough time to reduce the volume on your headset NOT mute it. In @Auturgist initial post showing him in combat seconds before the barrage lands he has enough time to do so.

The only risk you run of getting temporary or permanent hearing damage playing this, or any other game, is because you have the volume too high. I get why people turn the volume up, because for the most part it provides a better chance of hearing footsteps and getting the drop on others while preventing them getting the drop on yourselves.

If, however, you are going to cite the red zone as a source of hearing damage you don't really understand how hearing damage works. A single frag grenade blast or a quick un-suppressed CQB has the same chances of causing damage if your volume is too high.

As a point of reference, the levels designated by the UK H&SE for continuous noise damage are as follows:

Daily or weekly exposure to 80 - 85 decibels and hearing protection is needed. Exposure to 87+ decibels (taking into account protection) is not allowed at all.

Sudden noises you can likely experience higher levels as the timed exposure is much less, as to the levels though I'd need to spend more time looking, (I know this from the Site Safety quali's I need to have for work)

Further info can be found here regarding Noise Induced Hearing Loss. You can see there that heavy traffic is considered to be about 85 db, fire crackers or fire arms are likely 150 db. 

It would be good to know what noise levels the game puts out at 100% in game volume with 100% windows volume. Granted it would be hard to measure this across everyone's setup but a datum would be a good start. I'm assuming that game companies would be held to similar standards on the sound output although you can't legislate against stupid if someone then plays at higher than recommended noise levels.

I'd imagine there would be a splash screen similar to the epilepsy warnings, or small print in the EULA we all never read :D

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I don't mind that there are RNG elements in the game but should they outright kill you directly?

I would say it depends on the mechanic and the perceived RL of the game. I know you hate the realism/real life argument but bear with me :)

This is a game so not RL but there is a level of realism that needs to be adhered to if you want any semblance of immersion in the game. Consider Apex, the movement is faster than pubg, you can do the hill slide thing some great jumping etc. It works in Apex precisely because it's a futuristic shooter and we can suspend our disbelief because 'it's the future' - we trust that there is some kit, futuristic tech etc that makes it work.

If you put that kind of movement into pubg there would be an outcry as to the lack of realism. 

On the flip side, pubg isn't a milsim where they've added every aspect of gun mechanics IRL. This would mean reloads wouldn't happen in seconds. Yes, you can switch magazines fast IRL but in pubg we have no mags (unmodded at least) and only one mag if we are using the quickdraw/extended etc. For true realism on this one aspect we would need to carry more than one mag and reloading said mag would take a lot longer. Even if it was a) what they wanted to offer and b) something we would accept and enjoy, the hit to the server would be immense. 

So there has to be some trade off between a realistic effect and a playable one. Some areas can get quite basic, I can run round Vikendi in just a pair of pants with no negative effect after all - absolutely no one has ever complained about that :)

We can use pk's and energy drinks - meds in general actually - in a manner that is far from realistic but it doesn't detract from the game experience.

The red zone: 

IRL no one in their right mind would run or drive through it.

In game you know there is no penalty to a near miss with an artillery shell. In reality we would be ripped to pieces regardless of the armour we are wearing.

The level of realism that the red zone offers is that if you get hit by a shell, you are dead. It's not a stretch of the imagination after all and imo doesn't affect the games immersion. 

Would people also be in favor of weapons/grenades randomly misfiring and blowing up in your hand/face..killing you instantly because..."RL"? How about people just randomly dropping dead from lightning strikes or heart attacks? I mean come on it would add so much "RL" to the game! 🙄

This is the internet mate, I can absolutely guarantee there are people out there that would love this in a game :D Look at SCUM. There you have to take into account exposure, food and drink levels and, (something I found hilarious), you actually have to manage the ablutions of your avatar :D

In pubg though? No, this level of realism would be ridiculous.

Edited by fobyac
  • Like 1