Posted (edited)

After this update there have been a handful of occasions where I know for a fact the footsteps around me weren't correct or weren't audible at all. Anyone else having this issues? I had a guy walk up on me point blank last night in squads and he made 0 noise. 

Edited by flatiron113
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes. Since before last update I've had a lot of occasions where I can't hear grenade pins pulled from a couple meters away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, x Soul Saber x said:

Yes. Since before last update I've had a lot of occasions where I can't hear grenade pins pulled from a couple meters away.

yup had that as well. also had grenades blow up near me and make NO NOISE! LIKE NOTHING. I just feel the impact. very frustrating. 

Half the time I get in a close range fire fight my gun will loose its sound so I'll think its empty and reload only to realize i still had X amount of rounds left.

Since the update, I've had 1 occasion where a grenade thrown by the enemy team landed at my feet and didn't make the slightest noise. Got blown to bits that time but would have been able to escape had I heard it.

The other issue I'm having is that the plane has no sound at the beginning of the game when people jump. I only get sound when I pull my chute. This one doesn't happen often. maybe 2 or 3 times for me.

• Like 1

I’ve got this issue frequently too. Last night I got crept up on by somebody whilst I was prone waiting for a gunfight to end. The one that killed me was basically on top of me. Circle was next to me and hadn’t moved. 6th circle so he didn’t come running out of it, he definitely circled and hugged the edge. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, flatiron113 said:

After this update there have been a handful of occasions where I know for a fact the footsteps around me weren't correct or weren't audible at all. Anyone else having this issues? I had a guy walk up on me point blank last night in squads and he made 0 noise. 

It wasn't the final circle at Stalber was it? I did that to someone last night.

I ran full speed (stomping footsteps) up to a small rock for cover and as I walked round the rock I walked right into an enemy on the ground. He didn't react at all until I was clearly visible and standing over him - I was amazed that he didn't hear me, he was the last left of his squad (instant kill) so he must have been listening and there were only about 9 people left alive.

This is happening a lot now - both me getting the surprise and to people that I surprise.

Edited by ColonicBoom

4 hours ago, ASTR4L ASC3NT said:

The other issue I'm having is that the plane has no sound at the beginning of the game when people jump. I only get sound when I pull my chute. This one doesn't happen often. maybe 2 or 3 times for me.

I get this quite often, a couple of times each session usually. My entire squad had it in the same game this evening.

Okay, i’m glad someone else has this...

Its been bugging me like mad!  Playing squads, some mates are saying “i hear shots from bla bla”, and some of us are like what? We hear nothing...

Not hearing grenades a lot of the time(most), inconsistently hearing gu

shots, player footsteps... sometimes i also think I randomly hear a couple footsteps right near me, but thoroughly scan the area and nothing.. (solos)

Since Vikendi, there is a massive audio issue and i’ve never had this before 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, FreakyTechno said:

Okay, i’m glad someone else has this...

Its been bugging me like mad!  Playing squads, some mates are saying “i hear shots from bla bla”, and some of us are like what? We hear nothing...

Not hearing grenades a lot of the time(most), inconsistently hearing gu

shots, player footsteps... sometimes i also think I randomly hear a couple footsteps right near me, but thoroughly scan the area and nothing.. (solos)

Since Vikendi, there is a massive audio issue and i’ve never had this before 

There seems to be a total shut off point with some sounds. I don't just mean that it becomes too quiet to hear - I mean when the sound should be there, if you turn it up loud enough, but it isn't because you've crossed an invisible line where the game shuts it off.

The ocean sound seemed to change a few updates back. It used to increase gradually as you got nearer the water but now the sound seems to suddenly appear loudly when you reach a certain distance from it. I wouldn't be surprised if that's happening with footsteps too.

It doesn't seem right though, it used to be... "there's enemies coming, I can hear footsteps East".

Now it's "There's enemies here, I just saw one right outside the window".

My whole squad has decent audio setups too, either Astros + Mixamps, Turtle Beach + whatever the equivalent is, and I use a Mixamp + X2s. They've all said they're not hearing things that are really nearby.

And it's obvious from the number of people I'm running up to and killing without them even reacting, they just stand still looting or looking out of the window. I had an enemy run into my building when he was on fire today (final 6 in duos), I didn't hear him until he was about 2 metres away (when he started missing his shots 🤣). Wish I'd clipped it but I killed him and by the end of the game it was too late to record back that far.

Also hearing phantom footsteps (or maybe the wrong direction), keep shouting to my team that I hear enemies and there's nobody there.

Edited by ColonicBoom

4 hours ago, ColonicBoom said:

The ocean sound seemed to change a few updates back. It used to increase gradually as you got nearer the water but now the sound seems to suddenly appear loudly when you reach a certain distance from it. I wouldn't be surprised if that's happening with footsteps too.

Also hearing phantom footsteps (or maybe the wrong direction), keep shouting to my team that I hear enemies and there's nobody there.

The ocean sounds definitely seem to pop in. Very noticeable in Lipovka on those few houses on the right. At the front of the house it’s quiet, but further in its loud as can be. 

Are your phantom footsteps on Vikendi by any chance? I drop on the furthest places from the plane path, watch all around as I glide in, check for doors, signs of loot that’s not normal, look for footprints etc, and still hear sounds of people running around when I’m sure there is nobody around

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Prinzar said:

Are your phantom footsteps on Vikendi by any chance?

I've heard them on Vikendi plenty of times but I've definitely heard them on Erangel too recently. On Vikendi, I keep hearing footsteps coming from the wrong direction when the whole squad is running together - scares the life out of me because I think there's an enemy right there, spin round and there's nobody.

I've also heard Molotov fire crackling in a few places when it definitely isn't there, at Mansion yesterday and at Rozhok today. No enemies around, none of my squad throwing mollies and nothing is on fire.

• Like 1

Happens to me in Solo, enemy closes gap, no footstep, I gets rekt.

Since then, I have been either playing squad or solo-squad.

Surprisingly, the squad/duo mode doesn't have that problem.

PUBG's in game sounds are great, until there are more than 3 sound-bits playing at the same time. At that point, one or more of the sound-bits are sacrificed in order for the others to be played. 

Like the OP said, the sounds have certainly been more than a little bit strange lately, definitely not going to argue that but what I said could be a major underlying cause. 

Let's say 2 vehicles are closing in on your location while another team fires a bunch of rounds at said vehicles:

Sound bit #1- Vehicle 1

Sound bit #2- vehicle 2

Sound bit #3- AR's full auto spraying

Pretend while this is happening, a team is running up on your location at full speed but their footstep's sound-bits are masked by the other 3 noises which you may or may not even be able to hear all of them to begin with depending on your audio setup.

Therefore, soundbit # 4 - enemy footsteps, could be masked or overwritten by the three other noises in the surrounding area. Even if you can't hear their full volume due to their distance from your location, they're still taking up any of the 3 sound-bits you're able to hear at a time which may block other vital sounds out such as footstep noises or grenade pins and clinks. 

I’ve had a couple instances on landing where we don’t see and/or hear players as their dropping with us. And i am constantly scanning the sky in every direction until just before we land. Landed on the end of one of the open warehouses on Miramar. Didn’t see or hear anyone, looted the two little sections and went through the doorway to the big open section and boom, dudes already there behind a crate with a m16. Didn’t see him coming down. Didn’t hear the parachute and didn’t hear the gun load. It doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it’s very frustrating.

In a lot of my games players vaulting through glass or breaking glass in other ways will be heard by me or my duo partner but often not both of us hearing it. 

Also in Vikendi it seems sometimes hitting players directly with mollies isn't registering. Anyone else have this happen to them? 

definitely having issues with sound, especially when in redzone or plane flying over. Mods claim those are drowning it out, but previously i can hear footsteps over those sounds since i adjusted my headset for that.