Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PekkaDeBiitel

PUBG makes my PC shut down

So this has happened a lot now. Turn on the game, takes about a minute and my PC just shuts down. Looked into the event viewer in windows and it happens whenever BattlEye server starts. Is there a fix to this? 

It starts off randomly, happens once, next time it works fine. But after about 4-5 times it then starts happening after each boot up of the PC. Whenever I run the game, it just shuts down.

I did a complete uninstall to PUBG and after that it was all good. Until today. Oh and this started happening after the latest patch. Does anyone know of a fix before the new patch comes out next week? I am losing my mind over this and I don't really want to do a clean uninstall every two days.

It's not necessarily due to PUBG. Are you sure it's not an issue with your hardware? Can you try to run a stress test? Possibilities include, but not limited to, power supply failure, CPU failure, motherboard failure. Starting PUBG and Battleye (along with a miriad of other anti-cheats) puts some strain on the CPU, so you might want to do a stress test on the CPU and see if it turns off under load.

16 hours ago, PekkaDeBiitel said:

So this has happened a lot now. Turn on the game, takes about a minute and my PC just shuts down. Looked into the event viewer in windows and it happens whenever BattlEye server starts. Is there a fix to this? 

It starts off randomly, happens once, next time it works fine. But after about 4-5 times it then starts happening after each boot up of the PC. Whenever I run the game, it just shuts down.

I did a complete uninstall to PUBG and after that it was all good. Until today. Oh and this started happening after the latest patch. Does anyone know of a fix before the new patch comes out next week? I am losing my mind over this and I don't really want to do a clean uninstall every two days.

Sounds like it could be a hardware fault or your system is overheating. In most cases like this, the PSU is a good place to start if its not a thermal issue

It’s not hardware or overheating. My computer regularly shuts down in the middle of games and I have a brad new pc.

12 hours ago, HellDuke said:

It's not necessarily due to PUBG. Are you sure it's not an issue with your hardware? Can you try to run a stress test? Possibilities include, but not limited to, power supply failure, CPU failure, motherboard failure. Starting PUBG and Battleye (along with a miriad of other anti-cheats) puts some strain on the CPU, so you might want to do a stress test on the CPU and see if it turns off under load.

Did you read my post though? This has never happened before with PUBG, started happening after the latest patch last week. And I uninstalled PUBG and after it worked fine for 2 days and then started happening again. I don't think uninstalling PUBG fixes my hardware for a couple of days, do you? 

It does not happen with any other game, I've had a friend who knows a lot about PC's look and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my hardware. 

This is 100% PUBG/Battleye issue, but clearly it affects random users not a big bunch, as there is nobody else having that issue. 

My main argument is: how can my hardware overheat after 1 minute of game working and shut down my PC and then after I boot up PUBG again work for 2-3 hours without any issues. As far as I know, this is not how overheating or any kind of stress works on hardware :)

Not necessarily an overheat. If there is a failure of the PSU, MB or CPU it can overvolt, become unstable and simply turn off in order to avoid complete failure (damaged components). You said so yourself, that it happens randomly, so reinstalling might not even be the thing that helps, might be that it just randomly worked for a while. With hardware failures you don't always get consistent failures.

I merely suggest the possibility of hardware failure and doing a stress test might reveal whether there is one or not. If you have already done that, the other options can be driver conflicts or some software conflicts (for example motherboard software that says they will overclock your CPU automatically when you start a game). You can try to reinstall the OS and install only steam and PUBG to see if that works, then start re-installing other software you have to see if anything starts crashing your PC.

14 hours ago, Angry Sock said:

It’s not hardware or overheating. My computer regularly shuts down in the middle of games and I have a brad new pc.

That 100% points to a hardware issue somewhere in my opinion. Even brand new systems can have faults off the bat (I've had my fair share).

If its really new, you should contact your vendor and consider a warranty replacement/repair

On 2/26/2019 at 8:11 AM, HellDuke said:

Not necessarily an overheat. If there is a failure of the PSU, MB or CPU it can overvolt, become unstable and simply turn off in order to avoid complete failure (damaged components). You said so yourself, that it happens randomly, so reinstalling might not even be the thing that helps, might be that it just randomly worked for a while. With hardware failures you don't always get consistent failures.

I merely suggest the possibility of hardware failure and doing a stress test might reveal whether there is one or not. If you have already done that, the other options can be driver conflicts or some software conflicts (for example motherboard software that says they will overclock your CPU automatically when you start a game). You can try to reinstall the OS and install only steam and PUBG to see if that works, then start re-installing other software you have to see if anything starts crashing your PC.

I'm still confident it is due to BattlEye services on PUBG as this only started happening after last weeks update and it has never happened before with any other game. Today we got a new patch and I will see, if this happens again.

1 hour ago, PekkaDeBiitel said:

I'm still confident it is due to BattlEye services on PUBG as this only started happening after last weeks update and it has never happened before with any other game. Today we got a new patch and I will see, if this happens again.

Try to see this from our perspective. If the lights go out in your house, do you call the electrician or the plumber? Sure, the plumbing could have broken and caused a shortcircuit somewhere, but first things first, check the electricity.

Same here, your problem is showing symptoms of hardware failure. A piece of software cannot force shut down your PC. Unless I a misundersood your explanation. So to clarify on that point. Do you get the usual "Windows is shutting down" or are you starting the game and the power cuts off immediately? As in you have image on screen and then immediately it turns completely off. If it's the second option then you definetely have hardware failure, because software failure will either hang your PC or at closest to what you are explaining, it would initiate a shutdown which would happen exactly as if you clicked "Shut Down" yourself in the start menu.

I started the game and it just turns off. No image anywhere, just power cuts out and it's off. Happened today 6 times in a row. Then I did a complete uninstall to PUBG, re-installed it and it worked immediately for the next 6 hours. 

How do you explain that as a hardware failure? I've looked at the event viewer on windows as well and it shows no signs of any hardware failure. There is BattlEye service installed and then boom shut down. Until a clean uninstall and install is done, then It works again for a day or two. I know that hardware failures don't always make sense, but this is a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

2 hours ago, PekkaDeBiitel said:

I started the game and it just turns off. No image anywhere, just power cuts out and it's off. Happened today 6 times in a row. Then I did a complete uninstall to PUBG, re-installed it and it worked immediately for the next 6 hours. 

How do you explain that as a hardware failure? I've looked at the event viewer on windows as well and it shows no signs of any hardware failure. There is BattlEye service installed and then boom shut down. Until a clean uninstall and install is done, then It works again for a day or two. I know that hardware failures don't always make sense, but this is a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

I've seen recurring issues with hardware failiures that have happened repeatedly in an hour, then vanished for days or weeks only to return again. It depends entirely on the fault.

As before, my recommendation is to speak to the place you purchased yours system from if it is still in warranty and get them to do a repair/replacement as the issues sounds 100% hardware fault related to me.

2 hours ago, PekkaDeBiitel said:

Can you play other games and recreate the issue? Or at least run a tool which stresses the PC a bit?

Hardware issues are messy. Mostly because people fail to believe that their components can be bad for whatever reason.

It's new, it's old, never failed before, works on other PC, am update happened, if I restart it works a while.

As others have mentioned there are a few things that will cause this to happen.

Let's start with the CPU.

1. not seated correctly.

2. Over tightened cooler.

3. Thermal paste poorly utilized.

4. Overheating

GPU

1. Not inserted properly

2. Shorting

3. Bad construction

4. Faulty components

5. Lack of power

PSU

1. Dying

2. Not enough power

3. Clogged up with dirt and dust

4. Shorting

Other

Connectors can come loose. If something isn't plugged in all the way it can short and shut down the PC.

Think of this.. you turn on the PC. It starts vibrating. Then it gets warm and the other fans turn up causing more vibrations. Those vibrations wiggle a component just right and poof! PC turns off.

I've had a bad psu where the connector for the plug was bad. It would work just fine. Till I bumped it and poof! It shut down.

Test everything and leave no stone unturned.

Cheers

8 hours ago, PekkaDeBiitel said:

I started the game and it just turns off. No image anywhere, just power cuts out and it's off.

It is a hardware issue, most likely overvolting.  

The machine actually powering off is NOT software/driver related. If it was software based or driver based it would either freeze the PC to where liights/fans are on with maybe a image on the screen and just sit there until you hard power it OR it will cause a BSOD and give you the sad face while it does a kernel dump.

Well, to all the non-believers - I did a format and everything works fine. As far as I know, formats don't repair hardware :D Either way, this topic can be closed now. All my hardware is absolutely fine :)

1 hour ago, PekkaDeBiitel said:

Well, to all the non-believers - I did a format and everything works fine. As far as I know, formats don't repair hardware :D Either way, this topic can be closed now. All my hardware is absolutely fine :)

Good to know you found the bug to be something wrong in your Windows install. Could have been much worse. Like a hardware issue!

Future note to others that have issues like this. Reinstall Windows then the drivers then the game. Test. Simply reinstalling Windows can save yourself and a few other people from wasting their time digging and posting unrelated things.

Happy gaming!

With all the odd performance/fps guides/fixes floating around these past 2 years and people desperate to gain performance some windows files could for sure have been the culprit or perhaps in the process of reformatting some cables were unplugged and plugged back in, now without glitching..  No way to know for sure 😃 

Hopefully it will work alright now but please do keep us (the thread) updated for the next few days.

Happy gaming!!