Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Takethetrashout

West Coast 90 Ping

How many months has it been that the West Coast has been forced to play with 80-90+ ping at all times? How much longer shall we have to suffer?

10 minutes ago, Takethetrashout said:

How many months has it been that the West Coast has been forced to play with 80-90+ ping at all times? How much longer shall we have to suffer?

Pretty much since the game came out.

Most of my west coast friends are drifting to other games because of this, and I feel the same way.

No reason for one of the biggest games on steam to NOT have WEST COAST NA servers.  More than 50 million people live on the West Coast. (based on OLD data, it's probably much higher)
most of us have an average ping, at best, of 92ms, often far higher.

any west coast server or even midwest servers will just become another server serving china. I bet the server was placed on the east coast specifically because it's centralized in terms of the english speaking population which includes the uk.

19 minutes ago, todaytomorrow said:

any west coast server or even midwest servers will just become another server serving china. I bet the server was placed on the east coast specifically because it's centralized in terms of the english speaking population which includes the uk.

It does not serve the UK though, the UK has it's own server. Everyone in EU get's place in the UK, Germany, Sweden (I think, not sure exactly but one of the datacenters should be somewhere in the northern EU). "English speaking" is irrelevant to where the servers are hosted.

As for the rest - the size of the population is irrelevant. Sure there are 50 million people on the west coast, but that's irrelevant. If the West coast has 10x the population of east coast, but the player base is 5x larger in the east coast then naturally the servers are getting hosted in the east coast. Though honestly I think that they could have at least attempted to host west coast servers.

Pings.jpg.f822b9f9290f1a3e03eeea69a1aa360a.jpg

I would like to order a California or Oregon server with extra cheese plz :D

yea yea I know we don't have enough players on west to run a server but as a west coast player my hope just never ends

10 hours ago, TheWookieWay said:

Most of my west coast friends are drifting to other games because of this, and I feel the same way.

So they're leaving the game because they get 75-90 ping? Really? I get having sub 40 ping is awesome, but 75-90 ping is not bad. I've played most of my online games with 60-90 ping.

17 hours ago, Takethetrashout said:

We've always had 90+ ping. Nothings gonna change.

11 hours ago, TheWookieWay said:

No reason for one of the biggest games on steam to NOT have WEST COAST NA servers.  More than 50 million people live on the West Coast. (based on OLD data, it's probably much higher)
most of us have an average ping, at best, of 92ms, often far higher.

The NA market is too small to support two seperate server clusters. We have enough Asians on NA as it is, starting a West Coast server would make it so much worse.

14 hours ago, HellDuke said:

It does not serve the UK though, the UK has it's own server. Everyone in EU get's place in the UK, Germany, Sweden (I think, not sure exactly but one of the datacenters should be somewhere in the northern EU). "English speaking" is irrelevant to where the servers are hosted.

not primarily, but during offpeak times I do run into EU people a lot on NA. the location of a  server takes into account where offpeak populations would go.

7 hours ago, umpem said:

The NA market is too small to support two seperate server clusters. We have enough Asians on NA as it is, starting a West Coast server would make it so much worse.

it is NOT too small, they are just too greedy. Period.

12 minutes ago, TheWookieWay said:

it is NOT too small, they are just too greedy. Period.

Baloney. The population is too small for the existing NA server, and you want to split that in half? Without the massive amount of Asians, the NA would struggle as is.