Armor has durability you can see in your inventory. Say lvl2 vest is at 200 if you get shot in best by m416 dealing 41 damage to that durability. 200-41=159  now your character only takes x% of that hit for 41damage because the armor negates (I forget what percent 30%?) so you take roughly 29 damage. 

So armor degrades by the amount of damage it receives. 

Your caracter loses hp based of the damage of the bullet minus the protection from the armor. 

Each lvl of helmet and armor both have higher player protection and durability. 

Good way to settle so this is simple. Get about 10ppl for a custom server. You all go find level 3 stuff and level 2. Then you all the same gun. Shoot each other in the chest or head and write down the health loss or record it.

Compare the notes and see which degrades faster. Consider it as test for us all.

I got shot in the head with Kar98 while having level 3 helmet and survived . Don't think that will happen with lvl 2 . 

I mean technically the L3 covers more surface area than a L1, right? That gives it more opportunity to get shot but it also reduces the damage to your character that much more. I'd rather have a shredded vest than be dead.

7 hours ago, phizzzix said:

I got shot in the head with Kar98 while having level 3 helmet and survived . Don't think that will happen with lvl 2 . 

This is exactly why a lvl 3 helmet is not worthless like the op’s title states. An SR headshot to anything other than a lvl 3 is an instant kill/knock.

Edit: I think OP is talking specifically about the vest though.

Edited by Toastermunnky

Haven't they nerfed the Kar98 and M24 damage lately so that it can happen that you don't 1shot a lvl2 helmet?

Edit:

Okay, according to https://pubgdmgstats.com/ K98 does 112 dmg against a lvl2 helmet, so it's still 1shot ^^

Edited by un1ty

10 minutes ago, un1ty said:

Haven't they nerfed the Kar98 and M24 damage lately so that it can happen that you don't 1shot a lvl2 helmet?

Edit:

Okay, according to https://pubgdmgstats.com/ K98 does 112 dmg against a lvl2 helmet, so it's still 1shot ^^

If they did that, those weapons would be useless.

They already are "more useless" on Vikendi than on the other maps due to world spawn lvl3 helmets :D

On 1/11/2019 at 9:09 AM, kuroboom said:

I mean technically the L3 covers more surface area than a L1, right? That gives it more opportunity to get shot but it also reduces the damage to your character that much more. I'd rather have a shredded vest than be dead.

The game uses hitboxes, a t2 helmet covers the face just like a t3 helmet.

T3 has more durability and damage reduction than T2, than t1.

OP just has the subjective impression that it degrades faster, objectively seen it does not.

But the general consent is that vests in general degrade too fast, helmets are balanced.

look at my post about level 3 helmet, got a video that shows that even at about 60% hp you can get one shot with a kar98 on level 3 helmet.

15 hours ago, motcom said:

look at my post about level 3 helmet, got a video that shows that even at about 60% hp you can get one shot with a kar98 on level 3 helmet.

You were at like 60 hp, and a k98/m24 can 1 shot a lvl3 helmet if you are below 90 hp, or something around there.

A level 3 helmet helps you survive a k98 or m24 assuming you have enough health. A 1 durability level 3 will take one shot just as good as a full durability level 3 helmet.

The m24's damage was reduced when they took them out of crates. It used to do 99 damage to a level three helmet. Now I think it's 87-90ish.

Level three armor works. But some people think it should have more damage reduction than it does. That's not how it works. It's just a little more protection. Level three gear doesn't make you the terminator

Edited by won slow truck

16 hours ago, motcom said:

That is correct. You should of died. You did. Learn the game before posting youtube stuff like that. I had a guy do that to me last month.

16 hours ago, motcom said:

Why are you reposting this, its been explained to you that it has ALWAYS been this way.  The armour and helmets work as a damage reduction, you hit a guy in the level 3 helmet and his helmet durability goes down ( it can take 1 less shot before its destroyed ) and it reduces the damage caused by the weapon that shot you by x% I think the stats for a level 3 helmet are something like

Helmet HP 230

Damage reduction 55%

so your Kar98 headshot gets its 187 damage reduced by 55% which is about 102, the helmet takes a whack I think it loses 187 off its "HP" leaving it with 43 HP and ready to be destroyed with another hit 

This leaves your character having his health reduced by 85 HP .. if you have less than 85 HP ( as people applying first aids do ) you will not survive that shot.

Edited by DeadlyEggXoP

On 1/12/2019 at 9:09 PM, L33R0Y said:

But the general consent is that vests in general degrade too fast, helmets are balanced.

Helmets have a lot less durability than vests, you just do not survive getting headshot that often, so you may often find yourself with no vest but still with full helmet, but rarely the opposite (unless got a random from a sniper (rip lvl2 helmet, if it was a little damaged already) and ran away). When you lose your helmet instead of vest, you usually end up dead in the process and couldn't care less about your opponent not getting your helmet.

On topic though, I'd say the durability balance of armor is very good now. It doesn't feel like that I could finish the game with just my starter vest (unless I play very safe) - which would be terrible design in 1 direction and I still don't feel like I have to always end the game with no vest, since looting them from bodies is easy enough, yet not a requirement after every fight (also looting carepackages in lategame may seem weird, but it guarantees fresh best armor set - often worth fighting for). Previous iteration of COD was a good example of terrible balance in this way - armor broke before you lost all hp, so there was never armor on bodies and basically anyone who took even 1 fight ended up with no armor in endgame. Now it has gone the other way - it is too easy to maintain starting armor throughout the game. So looking at that terribly balanced game, I'd say don't mess with what's perfectly balanced already (armor in PubG is).

Edited by Biochemikas

It appears to degrade faster because it absorbs more of the damage.

Regardless level 3 gear gives you 1 more hit before dying against virtually every single gun.

Gear, whether it has full durability or only 1 left absorbs the same % of the damage thus a level 3 helmet with 1 on it is still better than than a level 2 helmet with 100 on it.

14 hours ago, DeadlyEggXoP said:

so your Kar98 headshot gets its 187 damage reduced by 55% which is about 102, the helmet takes a whack I think it loses 187 off its "HP" leaving it with 43 HP and ready to be destroyed with another hit 

If the helmet absorbs 55%, then you take 45% damage and that is 84.15 hp hit on the player and the remaining 102.85 is taken from the helmets HP. Otherwise the way you state it, you are 1 hit dead by a kar on a level 3 helmet which is not a true statement.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, motcom said:

You could just look up the easily accessible data, before posting "discoveries" like that...

https://battlegrounds.party/weapons/?weapon=Kar98k&armor=0&helmet=3&distance=0.1

With 60% hp, you could only survive a >273m neckshot, never a headshot - that's already a bit more detailed than your discovery, isn't it?

Edited by Biochemikas

10 hours ago, Biochemikas said:

Helmets have a lot less durability than vests, you just do not survive getting headshot that often, so you may often find yourself with no vest but still with full helmet, but rarely the opposite (unless got a random from a sniper (rip lvl2 helmet, if it was a little damaged already) and ran away). When you lose your helmet instead of vest, you usually end up dead in the process and couldn't care less about your opponent not getting your helmet.

The point is not giving your opponent your helmet. Helmets and their durability are a lot more balanced regarding their tier than vests. And they need to break fast, otherwise sniper fights with t3 helmets would take the whole match until someone runs out of meds.

Vests on the other side will get damaged constantly and it is annoying to always look for a new one or ending up in top 10 without it. And unless your opponent comes to you with a brand new vest, it will most likely end up being heavily damaged / destroyed.

Ask anyone professional, they all will tell you that vests need more durability.

9 hours ago, LuckImpaired said:

If the helmet absorbs 55%, then you take 45% damage and that is 84.15 hp hit on the player and the remaining 102.85 is taken from the helmets HP. Otherwise the way you state it, you are 1 hit dead by a kar on a level 3 helmet which is not a true statement.

You just read it wrongly and didn't read it all.

The damage reduction for a headshot with a kar98 when you have a level 3 helmet is 102 HP is MITIGATED from your characters damage. leaving the 85 odd hp that it DOES take off you.  therefore anyone who is applying a first aid kit or has just applied one ( under 75HP or on 75 HP after its applied ) will be dead with 1 shot.  anyone with 86HP or more will be alive.