Hi to all. 

After November updates I have a disgusting screen tearing only in main client pubg (test server is ok). With December  update #24 everything was smooth  and fine, until the last week. I play more than a year, and before that everything was good, considering that the monitor is 60 hz.

and now

PC specs: i7 6700k, 1080 ti (DP cable), Win 10, 16GB RAM, 60Hz monitor.

What I tried to do: change the cables, resolution, FPS limit, settings, last 14 Nvidia drivers, move game to ssd>hdd, hdd>ssd.  Fast sync and windowed fullscreen - it was a little better, but I can only guess about real input lag.

Pls don't tell me about Vsync or definition of screen tearing, cuz i  repeat: before november update everything was good. And  in other games (Battlefield 1 , SW Battlefront 1/2, CS GO, FIFA ) everything still good.

Edited by MexicanWizzard

1 hour ago, MexicanWizzard said:

Hi to all. 

After November updates I have a disgusting screen tearing only in main client pubg (test server is ok). With December  update #24 everything was smooth  and fine, until the last week. I play more than a year, and before that everything was good, considering that the monitor is 60 hz.

and now

PC specs: i7 6700k, 1080 ti (DP cable), Win 10, 16GB RAM, 60Hz monitor.

What I tried to do: change the cables, resolution, FPS limit, settings, last 14 Nvidia drivers, move game to ssd>hdd, hdd>ssd.  Fast sync and windowed fullscreen - it was a little better, but I can only guess about real input lag.

Pls don't tell me about Vsync or definition of screen tearing, cuz i  repeat: before november update everything was good. And  in other games (Battlefield 1 , SW Battlefront 1/2, CS GO, FIFA ) everything still good.

It looks to me like vsync isn't actually being applied. What FPS are you running at when this is happening?

2 минуты назад, Takarii сказал:

It looks to me like vsync isn't actually being applied. What FPS are you running at when this is happening?

120/144

33 minutes ago, MexicanWizzard said:

120/144

Yea, thats the problem then. Your game isn't actually doing any kind of vertical sync, even with it set to fast sync in your options. If it was, you would be at 60fps. See if something is overriding your fastsync selection as it seems that either the game is ignoring your sync method or it is overriding it.

6 минут назад, Takarii сказал:

Yea, thats the problem then. Your game isn't actually doing any kind of vertical sync, even with it set to fast sync in your options. If it was, you would be at 60fps. See if something is overriding your fastsync selection as it seems that either the game is ignoring your sync method or it is overriding it.

I don’t use fastsync, vsync or adaptive sync. Also i tried fps limit to 80, 100 ...

2 minutes ago, MexicanWizzard said:

I don’t use fastsync, vsync or adaptive sync. Also i tried fps limit to 80, 100 ...

If you are capping your FPS then to avoid screen tearing you need to cap your FPS to 60 as you have a 60hz monitor. Anything over that will cause screen tearing if your FPS is higher than your refresh rate

7 минут назад, Takarii сказал:

If you are capping your FPS then to avoid screen tearing you need to cap your FPS to 60 as you have a 60hz monitor. Anything over that will cause screen tearing if your FPS is higher than your refresh rate

Before november update everything was good and i have never played in pubg with 60fps. In other games i have no this problem, and never had

Edited by MexicanWizzard

Just now, MexicanWizzard said:

Before november update everything was good and i have never played in pubg with 60fps. In other games i have no this problem

Whether or not you notice it isn't really the point here. If you have a 60hz monitor and your fps goes over 60, then screen tearing WILL occur. 

Cap your FPS to 60 or enable vsync to solve this.

1 минуту назад, Takarii сказал:

Whether or not you notice it isn't really the point here. If you have a 60hz monitor and your fps goes over 60, then screen tearing WILL occur. 

Cap your FPS to 60 or enable vsync to solve this.

This is not solution, it’s just avoiding of the problem

4 минуты назад, Takarii сказал:

then screen tearing WILL occur. 

Ok, how do you explain, that in other games with fps 100+ i haven’t this problem? In pubg test server? 2+ month ago in pubg main client?

12 minutes ago, MexicanWizzard said:

Good point. I frequently go over my monitor refresh rate and have no tearing.

2 minutes ago, MexicanWizzard said:

Whether or not a person can see the tearing is subjective - some can see it more than others. Depending on how much higher your FPS is compared to your refresh rate, the occurance of tearing will be more visible because it happens more times each second. Going over your refresh rate by 10-15 frames probably won't make it very visible. But once you start getting 30+ FPS more it becomes much more noticeable. The entire point of Vsync is to prevent this from happening. Capping your frame rate achieves the same thing.

You are welcome to ignore this advice, but it is well documented that the scenario you are experiencing is due to having a higher FPS than your monitor can display

5 минут назад, Avohei сказал:

Good point. I frequently go over my monitor refresh rate and have no tearing.

Lucky you. I played only one week without this shit, and now i see it again

13 минуты назад, Takarii сказал:

Whether or not a person can see the tearing is subjective - some can see it more than others. Depending on how much higher your FPS is compared to your refresh rate, the occurance of tearing will be more visible because it happens more times each second. Going over your refresh rate by 10-15 frames probably won't make it very visible. But once you start getting 30+ FPS more it becomes much more noticeable. The entire point of Vsync is to prevent this from happening. Capping your frame rate achieves the same thing.

You are welcome to ignore this advice, but it is well documented that the scenario you are experiencing is due to having a higher FPS than your monitor can display

I have a 34inch monitor, so I can clearly see the difference in the games. Mb today i make a video from BF1 for you. And how do you explain that people with 144hz monitors have a screen tearing in pubg? I repeat once again - I have this problem only in the pubg and only after the November (and week+ after december) update. for 3 years with this monitor I had no problems. Sorry for my bad english.

2 hours ago, MexicanWizzard said:

1 hour ago, Takarii said:

@Takarii is 100% correct. Do some background reading on what causes screen tearing; it isn’t the fault of the game. It’s about how the system pushes data into display buffers, when these buffers are updated to be pushed to the display, and the intricacies of the timing of it all.

Your choices are gsync (need monitor support), FastSync (nvidia only but any monitor), freesync (need an adaptive frequency monitor too),  or vsync. Of these, FastSync is viable if you generally have a frame rate higher than your refresh rate can support, and will almost eliminate the input lag that vsync will plague you with...

Gsync on the other hand will only do you good if you are BELOW your max frequency of the monitor. It will ask the monitor to lower its sync rates to adapt to lower FPS or retain the maximum your monitor can handle (and thus avoid tearing). GSYNC is actually best combined with FastSync - then you get best of both - one managing lower FPS, the other higher.

Enjoy.

Edited by theexecutioner

Hmm. In had to go through the thread a few times. Why don't we know what monitor the op is running and how did we forget to ask that? I've don't see the ops monitor make and model.

43 минуты назад, Avohei сказал:

Hmm. In had to go through the thread a few times. Why don't we know what monitor the op is running and how did we forget to ask that? I've don't see the ops monitor make and model.

Dell u3415w

Did you ever turn the maximum amount of pre rendered frames to one?

8 hours ago, MexicanWizzard said:

I have a 34inch monitor, so I can clearly see the difference in the games. Mb today i make a video from BF1 for you. And how do you explain that people with 144hz monitors have a screen tearing in pubg? I repeat once again - I have this problem only in the pubg and only after the November (and week+ after december) update. for 3 years with this monitor I had no problems. Sorry for my bad english.

Because in those cases those people are likely UNDER their refresh rate in terms of FPS and that too will cause screen tearing, though its less noticeable usially due to it happening less frequently than if you exceed the monitors refresh rate. Having a higher FPS than your refresh rate results in partially rendered frames appearing due to it rendering more times per second than the monitor can display- eg, 90 fps on a 60hz monitor will show half a frame render at times which is what presents itself as the tear. At a lower FPS than your refresh rate, it will also display partial frames, but this time because it couldn't render them fast enough. On a 60hz display this is far less noticeable and you will be more likely to see things just running "less smoothly" but you will notice this more on a high refresh low FPS system (this is why 4k 144hz monitors without adaptive sync are dumb for gaming imo).

Adaptive sync eliminates this "low fps tearing" and at low refresh rates and will smooth out gameplay overall as it matches your refresh rate to your actual framerate so it is always a 1:1 ratio. I have a 144hz monitor too and when my FPS dips to below 100 with gsync disabled I certainly notice the difference.

As I already mentioned - not noticing something isn't the same as it not existing, and your situation is a textbook example of the reason Vsync and framerate caps exist.

• Like 1

6 часов назад, Avohei сказал:

Did you ever turn the maximum amount of pre rendered frames to one?

Do you mean to limit the FPS in the game to 1?

1 hour ago, Takarii said:

Because in those cases those people are likely UNDER their refresh rate in terms of FPS and that too will cause screen tearing, though its less noticeable usially due to it happening less frequently than if you exceed the monitors refresh rate. Having a higher FPS than your refresh rate results in partially rendered frames appearing due to it rendering more times per second than the monitor can display- eg, 90 fps on a 60hz monitor will show half a frame render at times which is what presents itself as the tear. At a lower FPS than your refresh rate, it will also display partial frames, but this time because it couldn't render them fast enough. On a 60hz display this is far less noticeable and you will be more likely to see things just running "less smoothly" but you will notice this more on a high refresh low FPS system (this is why 4k 144hz monitors without adaptive sync are dumb for gaming imo).

Adaptive sync eliminates this "low fps tearing" and at low refresh rates and will smooth out gameplay overall as it matches your refresh rate to your actual framerate so it is always a 1:1 ratio. I have a 144hz monitor too and when my FPS dips to below 100 with gsync disabled I certainly notice the difference.

As I already mentioned - not noticing something isn't the same as it not existing, and your situation is a textbook example of the reason Vsync and framerate caps exist.

Spot on.

1 час назад, Takarii сказал:

this doesn't cancel the fact that the tearing in pubg have become more noticeable (considering your opinion - much more noticeable) than before. how can I explain this to you, I don't know. I'm tired of your confidence that this is normal. This is not normal, before the update was normal. 

in the first message I asked "don't describe the term of screen tearing" because I already know this. And saw it many times when people need a solution, but they only get "screen tearing .... bla bla bla". This is simple and clear- this problem didn't exist before, now it is. I didn't change anything, only updated the game. If you don't know the solution of the problem (except vsync), or if you can't send the problem to the developers, don't write anything, please. Because it's counterproductive

9 часов назад, theexecutioner сказал:

it isn’t the fault of the game

14 часа назад, MexicanWizzard сказал:

With December  update #24 everything was smooth  and fine, until the last week

14 часа назад, MexicanWizzard сказал:

I play more than a year, and before that everything was good

7 minutes ago, MexicanWizzard said:

this doesn't cancel the fact that the tearing in pubg have become more noticeable (considering your opinion - much more noticeable) than before. how can I explain this to you, I don't know. I'm tired of your confidence that this is normal. This is not normal, before the update was normal. 

in the first message I asked "don't describe the term of screen tearing" because I already know this. And saw it many times when people need a solution, but they only get "screen tearing .... bla bla bla". This is simple and clear- this problem didn't exist before, now it is. I didn't change anything, only updated the game. If you don't know the solution of the problem (except vsync), or if you can't send the problem to the developers, don't write anything, please. Because it's counterproductive

If the vsync option was enabled ingame and screen tearing was happening, that absolutely would be a game related issue that requires investigation. However in this case you have pointed out that your game is performing much higher than your monitors refresh rate and that you are not using any kind of framerate sync. This a the direct cause of screen tearing.

If you couldn't see it before, then several things may be true

1) You were actually using some form of sync previously without realising (Global setting in drivers)

2) Your framerate has gotten substantially higher since the patch

3) Your monitor refresh rate has dropped to a lower speed (probably unlikely)

4) A combination of 2 and 3.

5) You were holding at a steady 120fps near constantly due to a cap but are now running somewhere between 60 and 120FPS.

That last one would certainly hide the existence of screen tearing as it would berendering 2 frames per refresh cycle, so wouldn't actually present as screen tearing. However any FPS over that amount would present the chance to see a screen tear far more frequently than going a few FPS over 60fps (because its drawing them faster). Similarly, dropping under the 120FPS mark would also present siginificant screen tearing because it is no longer a multuple of 60.

Verify your actual ingame FPS. If you are sitting anywhere between around 75 and 120, then thats your culprit. After that, enable vsync or cap your fps to 60 and see the difference.

You are welcome to ignore all of this, but that won't solve your problem.

1 минуту назад, Takarii сказал:

If the vsync option was enabled ingame and screen tearing was happening, that absolutely would be a game related issue that requires investigation. However in this case you have pointed out that your game is performing much higher than your monitors refresh rate and that you are not using any kind of framerate sync. This a the direct cause of screen tearing.

If you couldn't see it before, then several things may be true

1) You were actually using some form of sync previously without realising (Global setting in drivers)

2) Your framerate has gotten substantially higher since the patch

3) Your monitor refresh rate has dropped to a lower speed (probably unlikely)

4) A combination of 2 and 3.

5) You were holding at a steady 120fps near constantly due to a cap but are now running somewhere between 60 and 120FPS.

That last one would certainly hide the existence of screen tearing as it would berendering 2 frames per refresh cycle, so wouldn't actually present as screen tearing. However any FPS over that amount would present the chance to see a screen tear far more frequently than going a few FPS over 60fps (because its drawing them faster). Similarly, dropping under the 120FPS mark would also present siginificant screen tearing because it is no longer a multuple of 60.

Verify your actual ingame FPS. If you are sitting anywhere between around 75 and 120, then thats your culprit. After that, enable vsync or cap your fps to 60 and see the difference.

You are welcome to ignore all of this, but that won't solve your problem.

1)hell no

2)no

3)ofc no

4)-

5) on videos 140-144 fps. sometimes drop to 130, rarely to 110-120

I noticed that the tearing are more visible on training map. 

Vsync is a not a solution and I already explained why. I can enable fast sync, but i don't know how the input lag will increase in pubg