Hey all

I need to buy an SSD for my Macbook Pro as I have run out of disk space. I was thinking to myself, why don't I install pubg on it too? 

Does anyone know if I can use the same SSD for both xbox gaming and for storing files, photos etc from a mac? WIll formatting the device to the xbox or to the mac mean i will lose files or risk damaging either device? 

If I can only use it for one or the other then I will use the SSD for the xbox and buy a cheap HDD for the mac

Hope that all makes sense

thanks! 

Your only option would be to partition the SSD, one partition for Xbox and one for Macs library system. However I don't believe the Xbox will like this and will format straight over the top of the Mac partition.

If you find a way let us know :)

Posted (edited)

Even if you partitioned the SSD the way Mr Sleepyhead says, the Mac will be unable to see the xbox partition and your effectively cutting an SSD in half.  Why not just buy two 250 GB SSDs instead of fanangling a 500 GB SSD?  The cost is relatively cheap enough.  Most SSD price per GB is linear.  $60 for 250 GB SSD, or $120 for 500 GB SSD roughly.

Edit: SSD prices are so low now since I last looked.  wow.  Its not even a debate at this point.  See my suggestion below.

Edited by Balloonknot

Posted (edited)

On 1/4/2019 at 7:46 AM, Balloonknot said:

You don't need an enclosure, you literally just need any SATA 3 to USB 3 adapter. SSD's don't spin so there's no concern about enclosures being even slightly necessary.

1 hour ago, GeneralZap1 said:

You don't need an enclosure, you literally just need any SATA 3 to USB 3 adapter. SSD's don't spin so there's no concern about enclosures being even slightly necessary.

very petty argument.  They both cost ~$10.  With a sata 3 to USB, you have the added risk of damaging the SATA 3 connector on the cable and the drive.  They can break alot easier than a usb can.  Plus if you wreck the usb, you can get another usb cable and the drive is still usable.
image.png.d696826c655ea47431d3c8a42c4d6638.pngimage.png.8ed3ef081a75ea36dd6f42c6446f894e.png

Quick search on amazon, tell me... which would you buy if your only goal was connecting a drive to your xbox...  I have a usb to sata 3 and an encloser.  I can tell you the drive is in the enclosure and the sata 3 cable is just used to easily clone drives...

• Like 1