Davey XO

FPS Counter

The graphical settings don’t seem to make a difference for me, game feels like it just runs the same either way

playing on a 1X

a little FPS counter alot like rainbow six siege uses i think would be a great little addition so we can see what differences there are between switching priorities. You can enable/disable this in the settings and just sits on the corner of the screen. And i feel it will also help alot when bug reporting with video content.

Currently the game is capped at 30fps, so a counter is sort of pointless.  With the available settings you'll get either a stable 30fps in 1440p, or a slight blip of 24-30fps in 4k.  When they finally figure out a way to reliably push past 30fps, then a counter begins to make a bit more sense to keep tabs on performance and stability.

Personally, I'd like to see the network debug stats on Xbox, that can be enabled on the PC version in gameplay settings.

• Confused 1

lol have you ever thrown a smoke? In 4k you're not getting a slight blip to 24fps, you're watching a pubg powerpoint presentation at maybe 10fps.. 

I've played a decent number of hours on both settings and the framerate priority definitely helps in situations where smokes/molotovs are present.  Other than that I didn't see too many times where the framerate priority seemed to be much better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, So Calm13 said:

lol have you ever thrown a smoke? In 4k you're not getting a slight blip to 24fps, you're watching a pubg powerpoint presentation at maybe 10fps.. 

Heh, you should see it on an OG Xbox, story of my life.  POWERPOINT'S BATTLEGROUNDS

18 hours ago, So Calm13 said:

I've played a decent number of hours on both settings and the framerate priority definitely helps in situations where smokes/molotovs are present.  Other than that I didn't see too many times where the framerate priority seemed to be much better.

This is my point. Saying its locked at 30 is great, but when playing it doesnt feel like it, it shouldnt take much to throw one in, if its locked at 30 we will see it. If they increase the frames, we will see it, instead of taking their word for it because everytime they say they have improved or stabilised, its just feels the same.

granted smokes are less of a problem with framerate priority on but in all other areas i feel dips.

we know its kinda bad, let us see it locked for ourselves, let us create more detailed bug reports, showing what causes the dips, let us also see how well it runs once the they implement their fixes.

a counter isnt pointless, its proof and useful in reporting for the community/developers.

Edited by Davey XO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, So Calm13 said:

They're probably afraid to let people see how low it actually is..

Many people have already done analysis to show that PUBG runs at 30 a majority of the time.

FPS counter is just going to say 30 most of the time and dip occasionally.

Everyone knows you get 10 FPS in smoke, we don't need an FPS counter for that.

• Like 1

Good to see its been proven.  I've never looked.  I'd like to see some consistent testing during intense situations with lots of players/action happening in smaller areas and see how it holds up

2 hours ago, So Calm13 said:

Good to see its been proven.  I've never looked.  I'd like to see some consistent testing during intense situations with lots of players/action happening in smaller areas and see how it holds up

Oh frames drop there - everyone knows that.

They are looking at ways to improve that - it's mostly CPU rather than graphical there. Scoping for instance - as explained in the dev blog, a lot of trees which usually would be rendered in low detail (because they are far) are rendered at the highest level of detail (because you are scoping in) and not culled, even though they aren't on screen - culling is when the game engine doesn't draw things it doesn't need to in order to save the amount of time it takes to draw a frame (and therefore increase frame rate).

If you don't tell game engines what not to draw they will just draw everything you've told them to draw. PUBG told the game engine to use a trick called GPU instancing to draw multiple groups of trees quickly - unfortunately, since the trees are batched in groups, the ones that you previously saw in your scope that are now off-screen are also being rendered when you zoom in, but at a higher level of detail, causing extra GPU work and making the drawing time increase (hence occasionally frame drops when you scope in).

There are loads of instances of things like this that need sorting - optimising a game engine is a lot of work, especially on a console. Just shows you how much mileage you can get out of a console when you look at games like Just Cause 4 running at a pretty solid 30 FPS (with occasional dips).

You only have to watch this from around the 4:50 mark to see that PUBG Corp haven't even scratched the surface on optimising their game (yes it's the OG Xbox One running at 900p at 30 FPS with all sorts of amazing visuals and crazy physics/explosions - it's beautiful)

Edited by Baal0r
  • Like 1