Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Derrake

Still can't figure out where i'm getting shot from...

I've played 140 hours and still cant figure where i'm being shot from half the time. I can see bullets landing near me and hear the shots, but can still never manage to find who's shooting me :(

Random thoughts:

1) Adjusting your video settings (if you haven't already) makes a huge difference.  I turned the game brightness to 100% and increased my Nvidia vibrance settings, and started noticing loot and enemies that I would've otherwise missed.  

2) Having textures set too high (above medium) adds a bunch of detail to the environment, which can help enemies blend in.  You've probably noticed some people playing PUBG and the game looks absolutely atrocious because there's no textures, but they do that to have better sight on enemies.  

3) Knowing where you're vulnerable from as you move through the map can help you identify targets more quickly.  For instance, if you're in a field near final circle and running by a building, you should free-look at it constantly and anticipate someone being there.  If you run into an area and start getting lit up by unseen enemies, your situational awareness was lacking. 

4) Always be near cover when possible.  If you eat a shot, you can get into cover and scan the area near where the shots came from without being in immediate danger.  

You got good headphones?

There is bullet cracks that make noise as they pass close by, and then there is the sound coming from the gun, making the distinction between the two is important. You gotta listen to the latter to determine where the shooter is. (if u werent alrdy doing this) Listening to the first helps u determine on which side the bullet passed u by.

(there is an article somewhere on the inet on how these noises exactly work, if ur wondering what exactly it is that is going into ur ears)

I'd also recommend cracking your volume up a bit if you don't have it on loud already. Hearing those loud af gunshots helps you notice where they are shooting from, and louder footsteps is also beneficial. For me it's mostly sound i have to go off, as i'm kind of bad at spotting people in this game.

Only time I cant pinpoint quickly the direction is one of 2 scenarios.

Not using headphones.

Shooter has a silencer and is far enough away.

Pretty much sums it up.

My guess is the thread creator isn't using headphones. Not using headphones gives you a handicap, unless your using a surround sound system with speakers behind you.

Never really have this problem with headphones on.

I have a good headset and the alt button is my friend, I use the alt button to look around me every 5 seconds when running out in the wild, sometimes I get distracted because I am looting or there is a enemy player in the way but most of the time I use the alt button, because it's my friend

10 hours ago, Derrake said:

I've played 140 hours and still cant figure where i'm being shot from half the time. I can see bullets landing near me and hear the shots, but can still never manage to find who's shooting me :(

What headset are you using?  Most head phones like Turtles, razor and Logi's are just noise. They sound great but a lot of noise, They all should have Approved by "Michael Bay" Stamps on the boxes. When directional sound is a crucial survival part of the game you need a good headset..

I have a old g930 I break out for this game. 7.1 surround sound headsets are nice and all, but unfortunately the surround sound in this game doesn't work very well. I also have a nice 5.1 surround speaker setup, but i have to really crank it to make things sound like they should and all that does is piss off the wife.

That being said even with 5.1 speakers the directional sounds don't always appear to work and mostly seems like a basic 2 channel stereo setup with simulated surround sound. I do not think this game supports full 5.1 or higher currently tbh

This game only outputs stereo sound when you have two speakers, there's no virtual surround like some other games have. You have left & right but no way of determining if a sound is in front or behind. If you turn your camera fast enough you can pinpoint where the shot came from. There is a bug when you die that places the sound in the wrong ear, and if you flip a vehicle and stay in the sound will be reversed.

I don't think the game outputs 5.1 surround at all. I have tested on both a 7.1 surround headset and on a really nice 5.1 surround system hooked to my PC. 

Like a few people have already said, there are TWO sounds when getting shot at (unless they have a silencer) the first sound is the crack of the bullet whizzing by and the second sound is the blast from the gun. The sound of the blast from the gun is the one that will give away the direction and position of the shooter.

If they have a silencer, then you're sh*t out of luck. Just hope you can spot 'em before you die. Haha

I have a hard time with snipers that are closer to me because the crack and the gunfire are reaching me at the same time, and the sounds blend together. Further away snipers you can clearly hear the gunfire after the crack goes by, like @r0eladnsaid.

On 6/28/2017 at 6:45 PM, Derrake said:

don't be cheap buy really good headphones

The surround speakers wasn't from experience. GTN they dont work.

On that note,. the headset I have makes the sound easy to tell which direction its coming from. Someone is running towards my back or front, from the right or left and I know which direction they are(works the same for gunfire and also works for position above and below). Guessing the quality of the headset matters, from what others are posting.

On 29/06/2017 at 8:44 PM, AngryBeaver said:

That being said even with 5.1 speakers the directional sounds don't always appear to work and mostly seems like a basic 2 channel stereo setup with simulated surround sound. I do not think this game supports full 5.1 or higher currently tbh

Strange, I definitive have 5.1 sound using my Creative Soundblaster card's virtually surround implementation. I can easily differentiate between stuff in front and behind me while wearing normal headphones. In general I would highly recommend this over 5.1 headphones which suck in general. Its kind of ridicules that this isn't yet something everybody has instead of just "nice headphones".

Anyway, I could imagine that the game only outputs surround when you have set your audio adapter to 5.1 instead of 2.0 in the Windows settings, like many games these days. Maybe it also requires that you have a 5.1 audio adapter set to the primary adapter.

On 29/6/2017 at 1:45 AM, Derrake said:

I had this issue aswell, now i can pinpoint direction and somewhat how close the gunshots are coming from, i think the biggest progress i made with this came from always running towards gunshots in solos after i started playing squads. Its also extremely useful when kar98 and 8x scopes only drop from other players for me. I love sneaking up on people who are shooting at others, just to 2 tap them in the head and say "gib me dat"

I think you just have have to hang in there, or try solo queue in squad games and just run around with no gun only for the sake of locating the guy murdering you from a distance. Also worth mentioning that if your headset is homemade from random scrap you found on the street, the quality of it can be the reason you cant hear directions at all and it might be worth upgrading it.

6 minutes ago, Stress said:

I had this issue aswell, now i can pinpoint direction and somewhat how close the gunshots are coming from, i think the biggest progress i made with this came from always running towards gunshots in solos after i started playing squads. Its also extremely useful when kar98 and 8x scopes only drop from other players for me. I love sneaking up on people who are shooting at others, just to 2 tap them in the head and say "gib me dat"

I think you just have have to hang in there, or try solo queue in squad games and just run around with no gun only for the sake of locating the guy murdering you from a distance. Also worth mentioning that if your headset is homemade from random scrap you found on the street, the quality of it can be the reason you cant hear directions at all and it might be worth upgrading it.

I feel like sound is, well, inconsistent. Really dunno the reason. I use Logitech G35 headset. Drivers are OK, Windows system sound settings are OK. In game like BF1 sound direction is very clear. But in PUGB.... Long range shots are rather easy to guess - it takes a bit of experience. But close range - i thought what you supposed to turn your around around to "understand"  in which ear you hear it, until guys who i'm playing with, said that they can pinpoint the sound direction just fine, without this tricks. 

Another example - just yesterday i was driving a Dacia, with my buddy on passenger seat next to driver. Was looking at the map and suddenly hear shots nearby. Started a bunch of weird maneuvers to avoid fire, till a couple of seconds later my buddy shouted like "WTF, man, can't you hear it's me shooting". And i was totally sure it was someone from roadside from good 20-25 meters away.

Dunno what to do. My headset being s***? But it's OK in other games. Some settings need to be tweaked? But what settings?

I have to same problem. I used to have a Logitech G430 for a while, I was able to pinpoint where the shots were coming from. But it was getting some problems like audo cracks or driver problems. So i bought a new headset, The Kingston Hyperx Cloud II,  The only difference I seem to find on the internet is that the cloud 2 doesn't support dolby digital which can cause the problem. the weird thing is that I don't have any problems with csgo, It's just PUBG surround sound I am having trouble with. I Haven't really played other games which support surrounds sound so i can't tell if it's just the game or the surround sound in my headset. I hope this helps.

47 minutes ago, Madzai said:

I feel like sound is, well, inconsistent. Really dunno the reason. I use Logitech G35 headset. Drivers are OK, Windows system sound settings are OK. In game like BF1 sound direction is very clear. But in PUGB.... Long range shots are rather easy to guess - it takes a bit of experience. But close range - i thought what you supposed to turn your around around to "understand"  in which ear you hear it, until guys who i'm playing with, said that they can pinpoint the sound direction just fine, without this tricks. 

Another example - just yesterday i was driving a Dacia, with my buddy on passenger seat next to driver. Was looking at the map and suddenly hear shots nearby. Started a bunch of weird maneuvers to avoid fire, till a couple of seconds later my buddy shouted like "WTF, man, can't you hear it's me shooting". And i was totally sure it was someone from roadside from good 20-25 meters away.

Dunno what to do. My headset being s***? But it's OK in other games. Some settings need to be tweaked? But what settings?

Sounds strange, i have no idea what could cause this tbh. But im using a Logitech G933 and it works fine after getting used to the game. The only problem i ever had is that the mic sometimes "randomly" mutes itself, which turns out to be auto mute when its low on power.

I've got a set of Hyper X Cloud II headphones and have a hard time with directional sound. I'll say it sounds like it came from NW and my buddy will be like no that's from south...wtf 

16 hours ago, Rompertje said:

When being shot, dont look around panicking this will not help you pinpoint a location it makes it even worse. As you will rotate your head to look for him/her you will get different audio samples.

run and hide lol...then look