Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chili Palmer

Best headset for PUBG

2 hours ago, Thorello said:

wich preset do u use on pubg?

Default astro. The presets  were all wrong though when I linked it up to my PC so I guess they had been updated since release.

I use the updated "Astro" preset.  I've tried lots of others but get on fine with that one so can't be bothered to mess  around anymore.

I just got a set of Hyper X Revolver S, best sound I've heard over TBs and Astros.... Only drawback is theres no inline mute or volume control on the Xbox with them , believe the cloud series has these but with a little less sound quality

@Chili Palmer

Get 5.1 headset, which actually have 6-8 dynamics(4 per side), like this:

ÐаÑÑинки по запÑоÑÑ 5.1 headset

You then will want to disable subwoofer(set levels to 0 in Windows control panel) because it distorts sounds, since all sounds(from all directions) below 250 Hz are transferred to the subwoofer channel.

5.1 headsets are objectively better than stereo, just as stereo headsets are objectively better than mono headsets. How? Let me explain.

First, you need to understand, how your brain determines direction and position of sounds:

Spoiler

Our ability to perceive sound direction works through a process known as binaural hearing, which essentially means “hearing with two ears”. The secret to binaural hearing is the location of the ears. Because they are on opposite sides of the head, the sounds heard by either ear will vary in timing, volume, and frequency balance.  These differences are the clues your brain uses to decode a sound’s location.

Let’s use an example:  Imagine an unidentified sound that originates directly to the left of your head.

Here’s how your brain interprets each clue:

1. Variations in Timing
When a sound comes from the left, the travel distance to your left ear is slightly shorter than the travel distance to your right ear.  So the left hears it milliseconds before the right.

This is your brain’s first clue that the sound might be coming from the left.  But that information alone is not enough.  It still needs more.

The next clue is…

2. Variations in Volume
As we all know, sound gets softer as it moves further away.  Sound also gets softer when there are objects blocking it.

If our unidentified sound is coming from the left…

It will also sound a tiny bit softer to your right ear since it’s further away.  And it will sound softer still, since your head is blocking it.

Now your brain is even more certain it’s got things figured out.

But there’s just one more thing…

3. Variations in Frequency
As we’ve just covered, when a sounds comes from the left, your head blocks a portion of it from reaching your right ear.  What you may not know, is that it DOESN’T block all frequencies EQUALLY. High frequencies have less energy, are more easily absorbed by obstructions than low frequencies.  So with our unidentified sound, your right ear will get MORE of the low end, and LESS of the high end. This is the final clue.

When all 3 of these clues match up…your brain is certain of what it hears.  Because in nature, these 3 clues ALWAYS line up.

Source: https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/binaural-hearing/

Now, how does all of it applies to video games? Simulating directions and positions of sounds appropriately is hard, the only game I played that achieved that appropriately was CS 1.6 using A3D made by Aureal. Few years later Aureal got bought by Creative and they successfully buried that technology to use EAX instead.

In perfect conditions you do actually need only 2 dynamics to be able to fool your brain to think that sounds come from somewhere else instead of your headphones, but you need to have coordinates of a player and coordinates of sources of sounds. That's not what we have in modern video games. Nowadays games either don't use any HRTF technologies, or use poorly coded techs. Good examples are CS:GO and PUBg.

By default in games only volume of sounds(depending on direction and position of sounds) changes, depending on coordinates of a player and sources of sounds, in-game sound engines don't change variations in timings and variations in frequencies of sounds. That's where HRTF techs come in. What's the problem with these HRTF techs? They don't use coordinates of a player, coordinates of sources of sounds, and they work with late sound reflections instead of source assets(which makes them useless and even harmful), that's why they are broken and shouldn't be used in any video games at all, unless sometime in the future they are implemented properly to use sources instead of late sound reflections.

Now, back to stereo vs 5.1 in video games. Let's see what happens. Let's say we have 2 sounds that come from behind and from the front of you, at an angles of -45°(rear right) and 45°(front right) relatively to your right ear, respectively:

gYH2dVU.png

On this graphic you can see that if source of a sound is at an angle of 45°(front right) relatively to your right ear, sound will be played at ~75% volume on the right dynamic and at ~25% volume on the left dynamic. The problem is that if source of a sound is at an angle of -45°(rear right) relatively to your right ear, sound will be played with the exact same parameters as if angle was 45°: ~75% volume on the right dynamic and at ~25% volume on the left dynamic. So you can't distinguish if sound is coming from the front or from the rear. This problem is very obvious in CS:GO. That's why people in many games can't distinguish if sounds are coming from the front or from the rear.

How does 4.0+ make it any better? Quick note: PUBg works only in Quadraphonic(4.0) mode but not in 5.1 or 7.1. Let's assume same situation but on a quadraphonic system:

ew1Ja69.png

On this graphic you can see that if source of a sound is at an angle of 45°(front right) relatively to your right ear, sound will be played at 100% volume from your front right physical dynamic. Sound will physically come from front right direction. If source of a sound is at an angle of -45°(rear right) relatively to your right ear, sound will be played at 100% volume from your rear right physical dynamic. Sound will physically come from rear right direction.

Same with any other directions: sounds from directly in front of you will be played at 100% volumes from front left and front right physical dynamics, it will be the same as if a source of a sound is actually in front of you, because front dynamics of 5.1 headset are actually in front of your ears, and sounds from directly behind you you will be played at 100% volumes from rear left and rear right physical dynamics:

DXT1dyc.png

All sounds will be physically louder on different sides(depending on the location of a source of a particular sound): the front left, front, front right, right, rear right, rear, rear left, left. And on stereo all you have is: left, right, you don't have any other possibilities.

That's how 5.1 is better than Stereo and why.

I personally play using self-made 5.0 headset I handcrafted from two Roccat Kave 5.1 headsets:

ZMbVSml.jpg

And boy oh boy, it rocks. I believe my prototype is the best one there is for video games because of positioning of dynamics. Most manufacturers confuse center dynamics and front dynamics, putting center dynamics behind front ones:

ÃðÃÃøýúø ÿþ ÷ðÿÃþÃà 5.1 headset

Because here's how a proper 5.1 system looks like from the top:

�а��инки по зап�о�� 5.1 sound

Center dynamics on headset should be closer to the front of your head, not to the center. It's their mistake and that's why I made my own headset in the first place.

Currently using Turtle Beach XO  Sevens.  The sound is not bad but no bass compared to Turtle Beach X 800 Elites.

I just RMA'd a set of Turtle Beach X 800 Elites since they were breaking up constantly and getting weird interference noises that make sound effects of that of talking through a box fan.  For the dollar amount spent on them, I found them un-excusable for their issues.

The 800 Elites pro's
- Bluetooth, work with phone, tv, and device with bluetooth reciever."
- sound quality was premium, very deep bass for a headset.

- true wireless.  Nothing plugged into controller.

- cross platform functionality.  With a Xbox USb stick, you could use them on the PC.

800 Elites con's

- comfort was to be desired.  The headphones were uncomfortable with the pressure they applied to the ears and head.  Ears hurt after an hour or so.
- Disconnection was daily.  Either partial audio break up or complete 100% disconnection requiring reboot of headphones and base unit and re-pairing.

- wiring provided was 3-4 feet which meant your base stand could only be so far from your xbox.  The issue here for me is I placed the base on top of the tv stand and it blocked part of the tv when not in use.  This is not a big deal because a longer wire could be purchased but it bugged me with the design of this product.

- $250 price tag.

Currently Im finding that headphones which connect to the xbox controller and emit signal via the controllers RF signal seem to be more stable than the wifi 5ghz band used by Turtle beaches most expensive set of headphones...  They state you should make all other devices that are wifi enabled 2.4 Ghz.  Yeah... im not doing that. The xbox itself runs on 5Ghz if available.

Hello, someone who has the turtle beach 700, could you tell me if the sound of the steps is clear? What is your experience in general? I have read comments where people say that the maximum volume is low!

I asked this question awhile back I was willing to spend alot to get a really good pair. I have a really cheap pair, I think they are called stealth v01 or something and I can honestly say that I can hear everything perfectly. I call out things to teammates before they hear them...... and I find alot of enemies dont hear me before I hear them....... no problems with mic

I have no doubt that a more expensive pair would certainly be more comfortable, mine get a bit uncomfortable after about 2 hours playing...... and you cant adjust volume independent on mine either!!! But I will be sticking with my thrusty pair

Turtle Beach XO One ive been using last 2 years. Never had a problem and are still like new. Can hear precisely direction of audio and the audio adapter is good for changing the balance of party/game chat. 

On 7/25/2018 at 7:55 AM, xXEasterBunnyXx said:

I currently use a Plantronics Rig 800LX - $149.99

This headset is light, comfortable, and sounds great. It is compatible with Dolby Atmos for other games and movies that support it, and even comes with a code to download Atmos for free.

The ability to mute your mic by simply flipping up the boom is awesome and much better than a button in my opinion, and the Chat vs Game Audio mixer having a built-in slider on the left side is such a nice feature to have if your buddies are getting loud and you are trying to hear footsteps. The battery life is amazing, and even if the battery gets low, it uses the same micro USB as your Xbox controller so you can plug it in and continue to play with no problem.

Same here I give a 11/10, great sound, Excellent battery (True 24 hours play time), works with PC and XBox flawlessly, USB, plus you get Dolby atmos code for up to 10 devices

On 7/25/2018 at 9:55 AM, xXEasterBunnyXx said:

This headset is light, comfortable, and sounds great. It is compatible with Dolby Atmos for other games and movies that support it, and even comes with a code to download Atmos for free.

The ability to mute your mic by simply flipping up the boom is awesome and much better than a button in my opinion, and the Chat vs Game Audio mixer having a built-in slider on the left side is such a nice feature to have if your buddies are getting loud and you are trying to hear footsteps. The battery life is amazing, and even if the battery gets low, it uses the same micro USB as your Xbox controller so you can plug it in and continue to play with no problem.

I use the Plantronics Rig 500 $59.99. Very cheap, light and good quality... I have had it for a while and they are still working fine unlike most headsets you start having problems after a year

I own TurtleBeach Stealth 600's wireless for Xbox One and absolutely love them. Sound quality is amazing, especially w/ Atmos, the fold up/down mic is slick and works beautifully. I have not had any issues with the MAX Vol. being too low, especially with the 4 preset sound profiles to choose from, not to mention TB's enhanced mode "Superhuman Hearing". I feel myself turning it down at times if anything, only tricky thing is finding a happy medium between chat/game vol. Other than that go for it dude!! Yesterday I just cheated on TurtleBeach and got a pair of Razer Kraken Pro v2's and even though they are not wireless, the sound and comfort is amazing so far. I'd go w/ TB Stealth 600/700/800 or w.e. OR, like a lot of the other people here it seems, you could never go wrong w/ Hyper

On 7/24/2018 at 5:45 PM, Chili Palmer said:

Wondering what headsets every is using while playing? I am looking to buy a good headset as I'm currently using Samsung earphones plugged straight into my controller and is not the best for pinpointing footsteps, gunfire, etc  ?? Wouldn't want to spend more than $300. Thanks!!

I just bought the Turtle Beach X600 which are wireless and last about 10 hours or so at Wal-Mart. (Yeah yeah it was bought at Wal-Mart) however I can instantly tell exactly how far and the direction a shot was and you can hear people running inside buildings, two buildings away. 

oh and they only $80. 

On 7/26/2018 at 5:31 AM, Jigsaw said:

Have had nearly a dozen pairs of Turtle Beach over the past decade or so and let me tell you, NONE of my TB headsets have fallen apart, broken or lost their comfort. 

Astros are like buying a Ferrari for your ears, but you're still getting your doors blown off by that kid with the Honda down the road...

Astros are good but overrated for sure.

I have always used turtle beach and have heard way better than people with Astros. Used X11s and X12s through 360 years and they were great.

For Xbox One I found a lot of headsets to be trash but I ended with turtle beach 800X, they were around the same price as Astros but are a lot better imo. Superhuman hearing is insane.

Also, why are Astro ear cups square? I thought humans had rounded ears...

On 7/26/2018 at 12:55 AM, xXEasterBunnyXx said:

Thanks mate. I ended up getting these are they are badass!

Sennheiser Game Zero Ones. That is the best gaming headset for the money in my opinion. Great microphone and even better sound.