Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendoVa_DB

External HDD. Is it worth it on Xbox OG??

So I went for the Adata SSD and oh my days what a difference. No lag, no rubber banding, planes appear as soon as I leave the plane in both maps, buildings fully rendered when I’ve landed, when I crash I’m back in less than half the time. Amazing. Best £70 I spent. 

hmm...I've been running an original xbox one since launch (I know time to upgrade), added a 2TB external a couple years ago for storage, have the fastest internet that comcast offers and am hardwired not wireless... Still laggy as hell and almost never loads fully before I land from initial jump.  Maybe I should look into the SSD option...(?). Then again, I just bought a big ass 4K tv when we moved in and have a 4K box from Comcast (which I found out the OG Xbox won't run through unless I drop the settings on the cable back to 1080p ?)  so probably should just upgrade to the One X, right?  Suggestions till I can make that happen?

8 hours ago, wfisher41981 said:

hmm...I've been running an original xbox one since launch (I know time to upgrade), added a 2TB external a couple years ago for storage, have the fastest internet that comcast offers and am hardwired not wireless... Still laggy as hell and almost never loads fully before I land from initial jump.  Maybe I should look into the SSD option...(?). Then again, I just bought a big ass 4K tv when we moved in and have a 4K box from Comcast (which I found out the OG Xbox won't run through unless I drop the settings on the cable back to 1080p ?)  so probably should just upgrade to the One X, right?  Suggestions till I can make that happen?

Even if you upgrade to the OneX an SSD will give you a better experience as the OneX's HD is not an SSD but is a 7200 RPM drive. So it is significantly faster than an OG with the 5400 RPM drive but the SSD will still leave it at the gate.

1 hour ago, GB_GrimReafer said:

Even if you upgrade to the OneX an SSD will give you a better experience as the OneX's HD is not an SSD but is a 7200 RPM drive. So it is significantly faster than an OG with the 5400 RPM drive but the SSD will still leave it at the gate.

Its the same hard drive as the OG xbox.  5400 rpm.  The speed increase is the overclocked CPU and greater bandwidth.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:50 AM, Balloonknot said:

Its the same hard drive as the OG xbox.  5400 rpm.  The speed increase is the overclocked CPU and greater bandwidth.

oh. damn. I thought it was a 7200. Sorry for the misinformation. Kinda sad to learn that. You would think they would have used a better drive

I have a 3 tb usb 3.0 external hard drive, not SSD but it is an improvement over regular internal hard drive. I played probably 10-12 matches yesterday and had one crash all day