Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MMikolaj

PUBG Honeymoon period dying off? (Massive player count drop)

Looking at the player count stats on steamcharts it is showing a massive drop in player count. Over the past 3 weeks I have noticed the player count dropping off from nearly 3 million to 1.6 million active players. Writing this post right now there are around 1 million players currently playing the game. I am guessing this is due to a lot of players including my self losing interest in the game as there have been no major game updates to keep the game fresh compared to a game like Fortnite which receives an update every week or two with hundreds of changes included in each update. I also feel like there isn't enough communication between the players and the developers. PUBG developers have also become more quiet recently after the 1.0 lunch, no new roadmaps, smaller updates, no much needed major improvements to the game or netcode.

http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

What are your thoughts?

14 minutes ago, MMikolaj said:

Looking at the player count stats on steamcharts it is showing a massive drop in player count. Over the past 3 weeks I have noticed the player count dropping off from nearly 3 million to 1.6 million active players. Writing this post right now there are around 1 million players currently playing the game. I am guessing this is due to a lot of players including my self losing interest in the game as there have been no major game updates to keep the game fresh compared to a game like Fortnite which receives an update every week or two with hundreds of changes included in each update. I also feel like there isn't enough communication between the players and the developers. PUBG developers have also become more quiet recently after the 1.0 lunch, no new roadmaps, smaller updates, no much needed major improvements to the game or netcode.

http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

What are your thoughts?

Are you for real? Are you comparing AVERAGE player count to PEAK player count? That's not how player counts work.

Look at the detailed stats under the graphic.

Yes, player count is going down. No, it's not as bad as you think.

Look at the data below. It's dipped a little bit last month (5%) but, look at the tweet immediatly below that. It's the reason why.

I agree the cheater epidemic is awful but the game is nowhere near what you'd call "dying". You might also consider the following:

It's February. Vacation is over for both workers and college+university students, resulting in less time to play and less incentive to buy online games. This is a standard drop for the month. If the drop keeps going into March and April then it could be cause for alarm but right now it's just one slightly bad month following nothing but good months.

There's basically zero evidence the game is dying from player count alone. This is still the SECOND BEST MONTH the game has ever had. Yes, put this into perspective. "THE GAME IS DYING!!1!11ONEONEONE" but statistically it's the SECOND BEST MONTH the game has had.

TL;DR: you have no evidence, no data to back your claim. This is just doomsaying for the sake of sensationalism. If people are bothered by cheaters they are, unfortunately, not letting their playtime speak for it.

22f05d6164.png

1 minute ago, Bringo73 said:

There's literally no cited source in that article. It also omits to mention that BH banned several million hackers in January so, you know... that MIGHT be why the player count dipped.

The Steam Charts page has all the data you could ever need. There is a player dip, but it's no more than 5% in the last 30 days, and considering how many hackers got banned that's basically all it is for now. IF the trend continues it'll be worth watching, but right now anyone saying the game is dying and players are leaving is basically clickbaiting and being a sensationalist. WoW has been suffering from greater player losses than PUBG for the last several years and it's still healthy and raking in profits.

Just now, Drium said:

There's literally no cited source in that article. It also omits to mention that BH banned several million hackers in January so, you know... that MIGHT be why the player count dipped.

The Steam Charts page has all the data you could ever need. There is a player dip, but it's no more than 5% in the last 30 days, and considering how many hackers got banned that's basically all it is for now. IF the trend continues it'll be worth watching, but right now anyone saying the game is dying and players are leaving is basically clickbaiting and being a sensationalist. WoW has been suffering from greater player losses than PUBG for the last several years and it's still healthy and raking in profits.

At no point did I say the game was dying. It is still doing incredibly well with over 1 million active players compared to other triple A shooters.

Okay, but again: 1.5 million hackers banned in January.

Player count only dipped down by about 70k players.

DO YOU NOT THINK, statistically, that most of those 70k players are in fact banned hackers who didn't re-purchase the game?

6 minutes ago, Drium said:

The article is from a reputable company and here is the source in the article.

They do mention the banned hackers for January in the article as well as a source for where the writer for the article got his information.

Please take another look.

4 minutes ago, Drium said:

Okay, but again: 1.5 million hackers banned in January.

Player count only dipped down by about 70k players.

DO YOU NOT THINK, statistically, that most of those 70k players are in fact banned hackers who didn't re-purchase the game?

Yea that was back in January? We're now half way through February.

I noticed it depends on the time of day that I play. When I look at Steam that says "Total players in game right now" in the afternoon it's usually around 500k (Right now it's at 800k at 11:30am PST) but then later in the day around 6pm for me it'll be at around 1.5 Million+. So, no, it's not dying, you're just not checking during peak hours.

4 minutes ago, LitchAzazel said:

I noticed it depends on the time of day that I play. When I look at Steam that says "Total players in game right now" in the afternoon it's usually around 500k (Right now it's at 800k at 11:30am PST) but then later in the day around 6pm for me it'll be at around 1.5 Million+. So, no, it's not dying, you're just not checking during peak hours.

Once again another person that cannot read properly. At no point did I say the game was dying. All I wanted is for people to give me thoughts on this and why there was a sudden drop.

2 hours ago, Drium said:

Yes, player count is going down. No, it's not as bad as you think.

I hope it's worst than I think lol.  Best we warn others not to buy this buggy game till it gets fixed. 

3 out of the 4 people i used to play with quit due to the blatant cheating and lack of BH doing anything that would stem it....Sure we would get rounds without cheaters, but it was only 1 good round and 5 of people clearly cheating...They went to play other games with less cheaters....Its the most fun ive had in years, but since it was released in one specific country its all but dead everywhere else....You cant have 10 cheaters per 100 and expect to have fun games..

Just now, Cuti8tushu said:

I hope it's worst than I think lol.  Best we warn others not to buy this buggy game till it gets fixed. 

i dont know that this is even possible.....Unless  they redo the entire game...from everything ive read you cant stop people cheating in client side games.....

2 hours ago, Officer Ovaries said:

Unless  they redo the entire game...from everything ive read you cant stop people cheating in client side games.....

You speak the truth. That's what I've been reading as well. 

I don't understand the point of these threads. The game has had an "All time peak" increase every month since last March. Last month was the highest peak in the games history. The honeymoon period is not dying. The game is not dying. There are more people playing every month. If there is a dip this month then you can easily put it down to the game finally hitting it's plateau. That is not even taking into account the 1.5 million bans. Let's wait until the end of February so we can see the true stats compared to January. 

1 hour ago, MMikolaj said:

Once again another person that cannot read properly. At no point did I say the game was dying. All I wanted is for people to give me thoughts on this and why there was a sudden drop.

"Sudden drop."

It's 70k average players, out of 1.5million, FOLLOWING the game's largest ban waves in its history to date.

It's still the SECOND BEST MONTH the game has ever had.

Yeah the game has issues but its player count isn't even remotely a concern right now and can be attributes to hackers getting banned. Let's just do some quick math right now.

Even if we assume the game has, I don't know, 400k dedicated hackers who make 4 accounts per day and do nothing but play PUBG 24/7, that still only accounts for 1.4M player bans. You really think there's that many hackers who make that many accounts per day? It stands to reason, because the alternative is ludicrous, that a lot of the player drop in February is script-kiddy hackers who got banned once and gave up, because the alternative is accepting there's over 400k dedicated hackers.

Yeah, the honey moon is over, has been since December probably when it went "1.0".  This game had to level out at some point lol, peak player count dipped a bit but average count decreased a little in the past 30 days.  The next 3-6 months will be pretty telling I think.

They gotta do something proactive about cheats, make region determined by ping not a selectable field (ping lock/limits), or at least put a map selection in the game...if any of those three (or more of those three) happen the peak count and average counts will go back up.

Usually at this point in the year I'm trying to find a non-TDM match on the latest CoD game or another game altogether...I'll ride this roller coaster for a little while longer.  I like the idea and won't be too fast to hop on another developer's bandwagon assuming BH actually does keep doing something for PC.

3 hours ago, MMikolaj said:

The title says "Honeymoon dying off" which insinuates that the game is "dying". Why would use use such specific terms if you already know what they would be assocciated with? That's like click-bait. Don't be acting stupid when your entire post is pretty much describing the game as dying and even the title uses the word.  

1 hour ago, LitchAzazel said:

The title says "Honeymoon dying off" which insinuates that the game is "dying"

I disagree. We had the 'Wedding' on December 20th that the multitudes have been riding upon. Now we're nearing February 20th. Two months without a promised road map and loot crates being the most notable update isn't enough to keep players high expectations floating. The game isn't going to die for a long time...but the hype built from release certainly has. That, my friend, is the end of a 'honeymoon' period.

5 hours ago, Drium said:

It's February. Vacation is over for both workers and college+university students, resulting in less time to play and less incentive to buy online games. This is a standard drop for the month. If the drop keeps going into March and April then it could be cause for alarm but right now it's just one slightly bad month following nothing but good months.

U should consider more then USA for such things. Im a student and on vacation :P

6 hours ago, Drium said:

but statistically it's the SECOND BEST MONTH the game has had.

9 out of 10 its most of the time the month after the "Prime"

4 hours ago, Drium said:

It's 70k average players, out of 1.5million, FOLLOWING the game's largest ban waves in its history to date.

They banned over 1,5 m players over the last 12 month, so dont give this "biggest" ban wave to much credit. Its more the game reached its max playerbase

the OP certainly has a point here.

battleye bans total though Nov 17 - nearly 1 million

battleye bans in the month of Dec 17 - over 1.5 million

battleye bans in the month of Jan 18 - 1.044 million

over 3 million total battleye bans!

we have no idea how many administration bans have been done by pubg. I can't find those numbers anywhere.

the player base continued to soar through december, and now is down an average of 5% (80k players) per hour.

so either cheaters are starting to give up, or legit players are starting to give up. time will tell soon. I am interested to see what the ban wave number hits for this month...we are still waiting for the Feb ban hammer to drop!

Game only keeps me coming back thanks to Discord and a few friends that still play. Steam friends list only displayed PUBG that people are playing from my side. Now its other games 

1 hour ago, ugroch said:

that's a fact, this game is dying. 

Indeed its sad and this because of cheaters and a buggy game.

Why no region lock what a lot of people ask for?

The chinees hackers did the same with ARK survival . They came on EU servers and the most EU players quit the game. Well now the game is dead.

So if Bleuhole do nothing I geuss this will be end like this.

9 hours ago, breaking bad said:

the OP certainly has a point here.

battleye bans total though Nov 17 - nearly 1 million

battleye bans in the month of Dec 17 - over 1.5 million

battleye bans in the month of Jan 18 - 1.044 million

over 3 million total battleye bans!

we have no idea how many administration bans have been done by pubg. I can't find those numbers anywhere.

the player base continued to soar through december, and now is down an average of 5% (80k players) per hour.

so either cheaters are starting to give up, or legit players are starting to give up. time will tell soon. I am interested to see what the ban wave number hits for this month...we are still waiting for the Feb ban hammer to drop!

player base continuing a slow downward slide. now down 5.72% - over 90,000 less players per hour + 0.72% increase compared to 12 hours ago. and down 3%+ over the last week alone. not looking good. hope they have an answer soon!