Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SmokinXotic

How to Maximize Performance on Xbox?

Sorry to those on here who have seen this asked before. The official answer may even be beneath levels of google searching, but that is kind of why I wanted to create a new thread for the developers to address what is the best way to optimize your Xbox One or One X console and stabilize levels of performance with a sort of official seal of authenticity in a way. I completely understand this is a game preview and even PC users can experience woes, but I have also seen a good amount of streamers and YouTubers who don't experience the same issues.

Since the studio is in partnership with Xbox and Microsoft, I think it would be wise given how much they have endorsed the game to be their flagship One X console selling game. A complete step-by step YouTube video would be even better with the Xbox project lead or something. Maybe I am spoiled by other games, but developer updates with a face to the company as a PR representative moves mountains in my opinion to stay connected with the community.

Also for those who are far more educated than most, please refrain from negative feedback regarding one another's lack of understanding. There is a reason we as console users buy consoles instead of building PCs. A lot of people are buying consoles for the first time in a long time as their entertainment hubs instead of streaming devices, so they can experience this game alone. PUBG is an amazing game and arguably the most popular game world wide now, so yes, there is a major casual market that plays the game and is seeking aid. A lot of people are frankly naive and try playing the game over WiFi with 4K HDR settings, so to have an official thread or video guide would be great for the community.

Thanks again and may you all be victorious claiming chicken dinners!

Wi-Fi on the Xbox X is broken. Microsoft won't admit it, but do a quick Google search. Lots of people including myself with Wi-Fi rubber banding and lag. Rememer the 360 had terrible wifi issues upon release. Buy this and give it a try. Seems to be working for me.

TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter Kit, 2-Port, Gigabit w/ Power Outlet Pass-through, up to 2000Mbps (TL-PA9020P KIT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H74VKZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_smwfbXep8wbdv

On 2/7/2018 at 4:23 AM, DrKillYourAss said:

Wi-Fi on the Xbox X is broken. Microsoft won't admit it, but do a quick Google search. Lots of people including myself with Wi-Fi rubber banding and lag. Rememer the 360 had terrible wifi issues upon release. Buy this and give it a try. Seems to be working for me.

TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter Kit, 2-Port, Gigabit w/ Power Outlet Pass-through, up to 2000Mbps (TL-PA9020P KIT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H74VKZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_smwfbXep8wbdv

idk why you would be playing on wifi anyway. Ive always been hard wired. 

Hard Wired for starters.

Game installed on External Drive (Preferably SSD)

Disable Notifications (I've crashed because someone came online, I've crashed the rest of my team from a game once when the UI popped up a text message I had sent to the party)

Disable Vibration (Used to get a lot of crashes when the vibration was triggered.

Disable Stream/DVR in settings.

Don't move from another game to PUBG without a hard reset before every session. Clears anything held in RAM.

Hard reset after every update.

Git Gud?

Still see issues but less prevalent as time passes. 

6 hours ago, Fractured Life said:

Hard Wired for starters.

Disable Notifications (I've crashed because someone came online, I've crashed the rest of my team from a game once when the UI popped up a text message I had sent to the party)

Disable Vibration (Used to get a lot of crashes when the vibration was triggered.

Don't move from another game to PUBG without a hard reset before every session. Clears anything held in RAM.

Git Gud?

This is a life saver for performance at least on the OG Xbox one. I do all of this (except vibration, I need that for quality of life) and it greatly helped performance.

6 hours ago, Fractured Life said:

Hard Wired for starters.

Git Gud?

This is perfect!

Why put the game on an external drive though?

Things like hard line are kind of a no duh, but like I said I wanted every possible potential for improvement addressed for those who don't and make this an open thread for all to note.

Also I did see the streaming/capture thing, but I can't sacrifice being able to share chicken dinner screenshots or the funny or epic moments I clip haha. I just made it to where I have to manually upload clips to my Xbox Live feed and that helped a lot.

6 hours ago, ViktorMaitland said:

idk why you would be playing on wifi anyway. Ive always been hard wired. 

Yeah I know, but like I said, this is just an open general discussion for all to learn from until PUBG or Microsoft, if ever, announces their own.

1 hour ago, SmokinXotic said:

Why put the game on an external drive though?

The reason you do this is because a SSD 3.0 USB runs faster than your OG Xbox one or S. The game loads faster and you have less rendering and performance issues. Haven't tried it myself as I don't want to drop 60$+ just to play the game better but a lot of people said it helps them.

8 hours ago, Fractured Life said:

From my understanding DVR is run by a dedicated system that even disabled does nothing for the performance of the Xbox itself. It is like the people who say they change their motor oil in their vehicle and think they get 10+ HP. It is all in your head. 

8 hours ago, Ruffeo42 said:

From my understanding DVR is run by a dedicated system that even disabled does nothing for the performance of the Xbox itself. It is like the people who say they change their motor oil in their vehicle and think they get 10+ HP. It is all in your head. 

If xbox writes DVR data to hd when pubg need to read code from hd its going to take up bandwidth as well as slow drive  response time

16 hours ago, Tn2 said:

If xbox writes DVR data to hd when pubg need to read code from hd its going to take up bandwidth as well as slow drive  response time

If it is a dedicated system then nothing you turn off or turn on will allocate that "power" to something else. Just because I don't turn on the oven doesn't mean my microwave is going to cook my food at a higher FPS.

16 hours ago, Ruffeo42 said:

If it is a dedicated system then nothing you turn off or turn on will allocate that "power" to something else. Just because I don't turn on the oven doesn't mean my microwave is going to cook my food at a higher FPS.

I have been trying to find Frames Per Sec overlay with using DVR then within out but there are none yet 

only an article says it does nothing but no video proof. 

On 2/9/2018 at 5:56 PM, Ruffeo42 said:

Sir Obviously you know nothing about how computer systems work and operating systems. I'll try to explain this to you again. The Xbox console is the dedicated system , when you enable  the DVR option for game recording you're taking up a resource by enabling the DVR capturing it takes up CPU time it takes up hard drive time it takes up memory time, now if this DVR software option which is what it is a software option is disabled none of those resources are taking up so anything that a game would need to function at full speed would be at its disposal. If you wanted dedicated DVR then you need to buy a dedicated DVR. an Xbox is a game console that has software DVR capability but it does indeed uses resources that it could use other places when this option is enabled, such as running game code reading and writing game code from the drive, network access and so on. have you ever open the task manager on your PC while running multiple programs to see how they takes away from your resources?that's exactly what happens on a  Xbox console when DVR functionality is enabled.

On 09/02/2018 at 10:56 PM, Ruffeo42 said:

Ok, firstly your analogy doesn't work the way the  @Tn2 is explaining, say your oven and microwave both draw current from your supply of a fixed amount, if both are being used then the current supplied would be greater than if just one had been used, so there's less remaining current from the total amount supplied. Should one applicance need to draw more current then it would only be able to draw that small remaining amount before the system trips for using to much current, where as if only one appliance is used the remaining current is much greater.

And secondly

58 minutes ago, Tn2 said:

Sir Obviously you know nothing about how computer systems work and operating systems. I'll try to explain this to you again. The Xbox console is the dedicated system , when you enable  the DVR option for game recording you're taking up a resource by enabling the DVR capturing it takes up CPU time it takes up hard drive time it takes up memory time, now if this DVR software option which is what it is a software option is disabled none of those resources are taking up so anything that a game would need to function at full speed would be at its disposal. If you wanted dedicated DVR then you need to buy a dedicated DVR. an Xbox is a game console that has software DVR capability but it does indeed uses resources that it could use other places when this option is enabled, such as running game code reading and writing game code from the drive, network access and so on. have you ever open the task manager on your PC while running multiple programs to see how they takes away from your resources?that's exactly what happens on a  Xbox console when DVR functionality is enabled.

Apparently the DVR facility and the gaming side of the Xbox are both separately partitioned on the CPU so that the use of one does apparently not affect the other. No idea of the accuracy of this just going by what the head of XBOX games services says.

However people have stated that in their experience they have found it effects their Xbox, and DF have said that there may be a hardware lag in the DVR system itself that causes an issue with the steaming of game data, but it wasn't conclusive 

On 09/02/2018 at 5:59 AM, Tn2 said:

Disabling your capture setting is pointless,  doesn't help with performance. keep your capture setting on.

@SirDubstep @Tn2 @Theisman @Cart3r27 @Ruffeo42 

I think I may have figured out the answer to this whole DVR debate and y'all should maybe try this yourself. I think the issue is not necessarily the DVR being on. It is when you make clips and then they auto upload to your Xbox Live feed. The DVR isn't eating the CPU, I think when it auto uploads it takes a portion of your upload data to do so. 

Try turning off the auto upload to Xbox Live feature in the settings and see if that helps. Let me know your thoughts as well

One thing I am curious about is why don't they make the game file larger? I mean it's only roughly 5gb of storage. If they made the game download larger would it have to render less? 

1 hour ago, SmokinXotic said:

One thing I am curious about is why don't they make the game file larger? I mean it's only roughly 5gb of storage. If they made the game download larger would it have to render less? 

Not sure but good question. 

3 hours ago, SmokinXotic said:

I think I may have figured out the answer to this whole DVR debate and y'all should maybe try this yourself. I think the issue is not necessarily the DVR being on. It is when you make clips and then they auto upload to your Xbox Live feed. The DVR isn't eating the CPU, I think when it auto uploads it takes a portion of your upload data to do so. 

Try turning off the auto upload to Xbox Live feature in the settings and see if that helps. Let me know your thoughts as well

I have never had it set to auto upload, so with that said that may be why I have never noticed a difference....and @Tn2 I am an AOSP Developer for the past decade with years of corporate experience with front end and back end servers. I will say that I may not express some of my slight sarcasm in my analogies over the web. @Theisman I knew that analogy was a bit incorrect, I was laughing so hard when I wrote it just wondering who would attempt to tear it apart. I was never meaning to troll anyone with any of this. Just like the rest of you I want this game to run as smooth as promised. cheers!

Also I noticed this myself and ironically have noticed several other posts regarding this very issue, but turn off HDR on your display or through the console. The blacks are too deep on several displays and the HDR makes it much tougher to render. I said this on another post as well, but make sure if you are trying to run the game at 4K that your internet speeds are adequate to suffice that kind of demand. The One X is the most powerful console on the market, but if you don't have the internet to back it up, it is like buying a Ferrari and putting the cheapest gas in the tank.

23 hours ago, Ruffeo42 said:

I have never had it set to auto upload, so with that said that may be why I have never noticed a difference....and @Tn2 I am an AOSP Developer for the past decade with years of corporate experience with front end and back end servers. I will say that I may not express some of my slight sarcasm in my analogies over the web. @Theisman I knew that analogy was a bit incorrect, I was laughing so hard when I wrote it just wondering who would attempt to tear it apart. I was never meaning to troll anyone with any of this. Just like the rest of you I want this game to run as smooth as promised. cheers!

Everybody's an Android developer big deal LOL

23 hours ago, Ruffeo42 said:

It's set to auto upload by default so if never touched it it's On

On 2/10/2018 at 8:26 PM, SmokinXotic said:

I have both the auto upload options turned off "share achievements" & "share clips & screenshots automatically" you're right about that those waist upload data during gaming it affects people during Gears of War as well. any of that crap will slow online gaming