Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OnPico

Reshade allowed? moderator or administrator

1 minute ago, roboidiot said:

My understanding from what the devs wrote that Reshade will be banned because of the zoom feature, and the ability to use it to inject other cheats.  AFAIK, Nvidia Freestyle doesn't allow zooms, nor allows one to inject other hacks.  If it did, I'm pretty sure that NVidia would withdraw or rewrite the Freestyle code.  I think it's safe to assume that Nvidia has a major stake in ensuring a culture of fair gaming (although they are currently making bank on Bitcoin farmers buying up all their high end GPUs....)

bitcoin farmers are going to lose a $hit tonne when that manipulated house of cards falls!

46 minutes ago, crabby2004 said:

I'd be happy to have freestyle banned... My hope is that it will be.

Radeon owner hey?

BUT WAIT!!  Having had that  little friendly dig.  :)

AND after posting my liking of Nvidia's Freestyle in this thread..AND after having been a Reshade user for a period as well.  I think Bluehole have changed stuff again and not told anyone.  Hear me out dear reader.....

Tonite, I fired up the game and as is my usual practice, once in the lobby, I activated my Freestyle settings I have been using.  Now, I only use three settings, not a lot because, Yes, I do have a bloody amazing monitor and yep a pretty bloody good computer that can run shit at  high res.  First things first, I'll state the obvious.  PUBG looks a lot better in higher resolutions.  (Der, no shit Sherlock!)  I've posted that comment for nearly a year now.  Right that's out of the way.  If you can run the game at high res and with ultra settings for all but  shadows, effects and foilage, things should be looking pretty good.   But things got wonky a few months ago and forced AA screwed the pooch and the clarity did change...soo people turned to other programs like Reshade to fix those issues.     I used it  to tweak the visuals  because I love clarity and sharp lines and no jaggies etc..etc. (hence the awesome Gsync monitor).   So I used reshade...then I moved onto Freestyle recently because I found it easier to use for negligible performance loss.  *your mileage might vary depending on your specs.

NOW, on to tonight's events.  I fire up the game, drop into the lobby and hit my Freestyle load keys...hmmm I do a bit of a double take....and I notice that apart from a bit more brightness and maybe a touch too much contrast (bearing in mind I have many years experience in imaging in a professional environment so I'm a picky bugger) I notice the image doesn't really 'enhance' that much.  I check my lovely monitor and confirm I have it set to my preferred FPS profile.  Check.   So, I toggle in and out of my freestyle setting and the standard setting and ya know what?!...I decide to go with the standard setting for a few games.  I only had to crank the in game brightness setting up a tad. And adjust some contrast and brightness further in the monitors FPS profile and it looked very sweet indeed.

For a few games I wound the scaling up to 120..and although that looked very nice I couldn't really give much to it between the default version I had tweaked...wound it back down to 100% and it looks & plays very, very nice indeed.  If I put the game into 1080p it looks pretty ordinary  imo...but at 1440p it looks great, I guess it might be because that's my monitors native setting?

SO, NOW I'M CONFUSED!  Has Bluehole done something in the last two patches to address AA or am I going mad?  I am running the game, without ANY Reshade/Fresstyle enhancements and bugger me dead if it doesn't look as nice as it did in the glory days of late Beta , Early Access.

3 hours ago, Pinko64 said:

Playing field is never equal. And it's sad that the game forces one to play with low dpi.
Yes one doesn't need .ini tweaks to get good. One doesn't necessarily need more than 640x480 monitor resolution to be good. Oh one doesn't need headphones to be good either. Or high fps / high hz monitor. 
But it's a poor decision of game makers to limit hardware potential. Currently even the fps is limited at 144(yes 144hz is pretty common in gaming monitors but they can go up to atleast 240hz nowdays). High dpi mice are not usable - but oh the fix would be easy - just fix the ui or let people change the settings via .ini file.

If you wanted equal playing field the game should sync it's tickrate with the slowest pc and let all the players suffer from the slowest one. And of course everyone should be playing with exactly same hardware. - And player should be genetically cloned of each other, too.

Weird, im doing fine without it. And most people are. Stop editing game files and you wont catch a ban. Blame the cheaters, dont blame bluehole.

3 minutes ago, Spinkick said:

Blame the cheaters, dont blame bluehole.

pretty much. because a small minority of reshade users were using the zoom exploit everyone using it will be punished. Sucks, but if it helps get rid of the rampant cheaters I'm ok with it.

and for people who are fortunate enough to be able to use NVidia freestyle and still have decent performance, I think that's awesome. if someone invested the time/money to buy or build a quality machine they are reaping the benefits of that.

whoo hoo...I just realised that my previous post was my 1,000 post!  I'm here for the long term people, you cant get rid of me!  :)  I just wish there was a bit more 'community' to the Official Forums...it started out well but then sort of fizzled a bit...*Some only come here, create and account, bitch (which as an owner is their right)  but,  then leave.  If your invested in a game you love,  you.stick.it.out.

7 minutes ago, Hit_Marka said:

whoo hoo...I just realised that my previous post was my 1,000 post!  I'm here for the long term people, you cant get rid of me!  :)  I just wish there was a bit more 'community' to the Official Forums...it started out well but then sort of fizzled a bit...*Some only come here, create and account, bitch (which as an owner is their right)  but,  then leave.  If your invested in a game you love,  you.stick.it.out.

My other account has over 1100 I think... but then sadly... well, I'm sure you can figure it out. 

Just to be clear :)

I own a 1070... So have dabbled in freestyle and it's pretty cool! Having said that, however, it's third party manipulation of the game - so I am more than happy if they get rid. I'm not saying I won't use it if it isn't, because I like some of the effects... But if they banned it I would completely understand.

57 minutes ago, xTekx_1 said:

My other account has over 1100 I think... but then sadly... well, I'm sure you can figure it out. 

yeh I'm sure I saw you there all those post ago!  :)  It was strange I saw the tag pop up the other day and saw the post count and I thought' hello surely this can't be another person with the same tag?'  Were you a naughty boy then?  

34 minutes ago, crabby2004 said:

Just to be clear :)

I own a 1070... So have dabbled in freestyle and it's pretty cool! Having said that, however, it's third party manipulation of the game - so I am more than happy if they get rid. I'm not saying I won't use it if it isn't, because I like some of the effects... But if they banned it I would completely understand.

Well there is nothing that Freestyler actually does that would cause a ban.  Reshade was fine until the ability to apply a 'forced zoom' mode over the games graphics...there are vids of people with red dots getting 4x/8x magnification...THAT'S the problem.  The sharpening, colour and edge refinement filters of Reshade are fine...its just that bloody ability to zoom in when you actually have 'NO' scope.....that is the killer.

On 2/2/2018 at 5:50 PM, Hit_Marka said:

Well there is nothing that Freestyler actually does that would cause a ban.  Reshade was fine until the ability to apply a 'forced zoom' mode over the games graphics...there are vids of people with red dots getting 4x/8x magnification...THAT'S the problem.  The sharpening, colour and edge refinement filters of Reshade are fine...its just that bloody ability to zoom in when you actually have 'NO' scope.....that is the killer.

Completely agree... but if it's easier for them to ban "everything" than be selective then that's ok by me #justsayin :P

I do absolutely do not agree that any external program that change the game in any way is just fine or it's only cosmetic. Visual fidelity in a FPS game where your chance of survival is dependent in part on visuals then this is most definitely cheating. It might not be by choice from the users POV but nonetheless it does give that user an edge over everyone playing with no modifications if it makes things easier to distinguish. It will up to Bluehole to determine if this gives any unfair advantages but I sure do hope that anything that goes beyond what you could set on a generic monitor, like color balance, gamma, contrast and so will get blocked. I do not vote for banning as the user might not be doing for an edge but purely visual pleasure.

If I play 1280x720  , then any  1080p ... 4k? player will be having a really strong visual advantage over me .    If I would use reshade to compensate it , am I cheater really ?

On 2/22/2018 at 3:42 PM, micnolmad said:

I do absolutely do not agree that any external program that change the game in any way is just fine or it's only cosmetic. Visual fidelity in a FPS game where your chance of survival is dependent in part on visuals then this is most definitely cheating.

What about external hardware? 30Hz screen vs 144Hz screen? Screen gtg speed? Or what about keyboard and mouse?

All this is not cosmetic, it strongly relate to improving performance ingame. Try to play on old mechanical mouse or better play on touchpad because I am sure someone uses laptop to play and does not have mouse.

5 minutes ago, Hulec said:

What about external hardware? 30Hz screen vs 144Hz screen? Screen gtg speed? Or what about keyboard and mouse?

All this is not cosmetic, it strongly relate to improving performance ingame. Try to play on old mechanical mouse or better play on touchpad because I am sure someone uses laptop to play and does not have mouse.

Old argument. Hardware will only get you so far in terms of visual enhancement, software can do wonders

Hardware can actually get you further than software.

Just look at the difference between settings of Very low and Ultra. Now imagine Very low with 20 FPS on 17" screen vs 27" 1440p 144Hz screen on ultra with 144FPS.

That is what hardware will do. And yes there are people with different hardware setups and i am sure there is somewhere in the world a guy who plays on 17" screen with 20 FPS on very low. And no software would save him. Specialy when freestyle have FPS drop when activated.

42 minutes ago, Hulec said:

Hardware can actually get you further than software.

Just look at the difference between settings of Very low and Ultra. Now imagine Very low with 20 FPS on 17" screen vs 27" 1440p 144Hz screen on ultra with 144FPS.

That is what hardware will do. And yes there are people with different hardware setups and i am sure there is somewhere in the world a guy who plays on 17" screen with 20 FPS on very low. And no software would save him. Specialy when freestyle have FPS drop when activated.

Not true. Cheater with ESP + Aimboot hacks=software user . Hardware user=Player on clear game with 27" 1440p 144Hz screen on ultra with 144FPS heave no chance vs Cheater on this setup "Very low with 20 FPS on 17" screen". This is the real power for software vs hardware.

I am not talking about hacks, but people want to ban Freestyle because it gives advantage to people using it.

Yes reshade zoom deserved to be banned, but freestyle right now do nothing wrong. Most the things freestyle do can be done by better screen in OSD.

Thinking of it now, I think I seen some TVs that have zoom function, so some xbox users might use that on their remote? How Bluehole will solve this ?

8 minutes ago, Hulec said:

but freestyle right now do nothing wrong.

Freestyle is the same cancer as Reshade. Reshade heave zoom=advantage. Freestyle heave HDR Toning=advantage.

@Coko what about guys with 27" screen on 1440p? I don't have such screen so they have advantage. You know more pixels,bigger resolution. With your thinking the game should offer just one resolution. To be fair to those with laptops it should be 1330x768.

11 minutes ago, Hulec said:

@Coko what about guys with 27" screen on 1440p? I don't have such screen so they have advantage. You know more pixels,bigger resolution. With your thinking the game should offer just one resolution. To be fair to those with laptops it should be 1330x768.

Poor with a laptop. Do we organize a collection for poor players?

2 minutes ago, Hulec said:

Why collection? Just ban everyone who uses bigger resolution.

Well what about streamers opting for low res because it make player model stand out more? high res makes far away objects blend in easier in all that smooth texture. And still thats beside the point, any advantage big screen can give you is minor thus acceptable in comparison to what software can do

15 minutes ago, Hulec said:

Why collection? Just ban everyone who uses bigger resolution.

Its stupid argument. Game alows settings 1440p. Its 2018.  I ending conversation with you!

@Coko yes its stupid, but bigger resolution=advantage , same principe as what you said with freestyle. Actually bigger resolution gives bigger advantage than freestyle.

11 minutes ago, Hulec said:

@Coko yes its stupid, but bigger resolution=advantage , same principe as what you said with freestyle. Actually bigger resolution gives bigger advantage than freestyle.

Then let's ban mechanical keyboards as they provide a small advantage since their input could be miliseconds faster than the one with membrane keyboards, let's ban mice with DPI control that's an advantage and people with higher end graphic cards and CPUs because they have an FPS advantage... If they play in anything larger than 15 inches monitor too... that's an advantage...  You see where this is heading?

You can't punish people for having PCs that run at higher resolutions than yours, because it would mean you could be punished too because there's people who have to run the game at lower resolutions than you. 

Banning software aids (like Reshade with its Zoom feature) is good, punishing people who can run the game at higher resolution than you? ehm.. nope.