Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MonteLSx

How to tell where you are being shot from

Recommended Posts

Newer player here and I am addicted, even though I suck. Did the school over and over yesterday and am coming out of my shell a little bit in terms of gunfights. 

 

I am not sure if there is a way to know, but I find one of the most difficult things is if I am in an open area or even behind cover and I suddenly get shot at and at least one hits me, I have no clue what direction it came from. I would hate to see video of me when this happens because I tend to freak out and must look like a chicken without a head :)

 

I suppose it is realistic because if someone shot at you other than hearing the shot you wouldn't know what direction it came from, but was hoping there may be an indicator or something I am missing when I panic and become frantic. 

 

Thanks guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is not a indicator when you are hit like most shooters because they are wanting to the keep realism. 

The sound in this game plays a massive role and if your not using a headset you'll be at quite a disadvantage as you would be able to hear the direction of certain sounds. I.e gunshots, vehicles etc. 

If you are using a headset, possibly adjust the sound effects to make them louder than everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it, thanks. I ordered a pair last week and still have not gotten them, so much for Amazon Prime :(  Hopefully they will help as I could use anything right about now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres a few indicators,

Muzzle Flash (unless the have a flash hider)

Sound (unless they have a silencer)

If it's a sniper and they're far away its best just to run as you proberbly wont be able to see them anyway.

If you headset has a L & R make sure they're the right way on otherwise youll hear everything backwards (:

An optical cable can really help incease the sound you hear. But my advice if you dont alrready is using the hold RB to look behind you and keep checking your angles to! stick to the shadows :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MonteLSx I'm right there with you. Best bet is just take off behind some cover and try wait them out. Sooner or later they'll give. Just keep an eye on the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

I get so tense I just panic, guess that will go away with time. Getting my @ss handed to me over and over has built up my shooting a tad. I think I have my sensitivity set pretty decent now so I am not going to mess with anything other than trying to get better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I find that helps is to try and listen for the initial pop. The snap you hear is the round flying by, and can throw you off depending on which side of your body it goes passes. Of course a silenced weapon would make this quite difficult.

 

Also, seeing the impact/splatter can help you determine their general location. This helps if you have cover nearby, as locating the impact is a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chemmy89 said:

There is not a indicator when you are hit like most shooters because they are wanting to the keep realism. 

The sound in this game plays a massive role and if your not using a headset you'll be at quite a disadvantage as you would be able to hear the direction of certain sounds. I.e gunshots, vehicles etc. 

If you are using a headset, possibly adjust the sound effects to make them louder than everything else.

It's not realistic, to not know the direction of an attack.  If you get shot directly in the right shoulder you' re gonna know it came from the right.  This game doesn't indicate where you took damage.  Games give you an indicator which may seem unrealistic, but it's a fair estimate to knowledge you would gain in real life.    In real life if someone lights you up from an outside window (but only grazes you) you're gonna have a pretty good idea which side of the house the bullets entered.  In this game you get no indication unless you have really good 3d sound, or outright saw the attacker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MonteLSx said:

Newer player here and I am addicted, even though I suck. Did the school over and over yesterday and am coming out of my shell a little bit in terms of gunfights. 

 

I am not sure if there is a way to know, but I find one of the most difficult things is if I am in an open area or even behind cover and I suddenly get shot at and at least one hits me, I have no clue what direction it came from. I would hate to see video of me when this happens because I tend to freak out and must look like a chicken without a head :)

 

I suppose it is realistic because if someone shot at you other than hearing the shot you wouldn't know what direction it came from, but was hoping there may be an indicator or something I am missing when I panic and become frantic. 

 

Thanks guys

 

Ear buds or headphones :) Complete game changer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sound is the biggest indicator of the direction and plays a huge role in the gameplay. I typically played with the regular Xbox headset but have since switched over to a gaming headset specifically for this game. Made a huge difference for me. Now I can usually tell where the shot came from unless they are silenced. 

 

When you do take incoming fire, for the love of God, DONT just go prone. You are asking to be killed. It seems counter-intuitive but stay upright and move fast, and try your best to return fire in the direction you think you got shot from. Suppress the enemy and you will have a better chance to survive. Most players will engage you from a spot they THINK is safe. Quickly look for shade, trees or likely cover where the enemy would take a shot at you. 

 

Be aggressive and make them take cover instead of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hixbot said:

It's not realistic, to not know the direction of an attack.  If you get shot directly in the right shoulder you' re gonna know it came from the right.  This game doesn't indicate where you took damage.  Games give you an indicator which may seem unrealistic, but it's a fair estimate to knowledge you would gain in real life.    In real life if someone lights you up from an outside window (but only grazes you) you're gonna have a pretty good idea which side of the house the bullets entered.  In this game you get no indication unless you have really good 3d sound, or outright saw the attacker.

 

not necessarily. It depends where in the right shoulder you were shot. Someone could have miscalculated wind/distance and was on the left and you turned slightly causing the bullet to enter into the right shoulder versus center of the back. Aside from front or back, this point is iffy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can never tell either. If I am out in the open I hear what side it's coming from but if they are far away or laying down I can't see them which is all the time when I get shot in the open. They should have some indication as to what side you're being shot from so you can at least have a chance to shot back or not but at least know where it was coming from.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to the piss poor tick time and netcode...

 

We always just start yelling, "SHAKE AND BAKE" and run away zig-zagging like cartoon characters.  You'd be amazed how hard someone is to hit by doing that.  Might buy you enough time to pinpoint the shooter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not hard to know when you are playing against people not using head phones, you put yourself at a huge disadvantage not using them. Yesterday in the air field (you all know how noisy those floors are in the hangers) I was stalking a guy and totally expected him to hear me but nope, very easy kill.

I mostly get a sense of where I am being shot from, the only time I struggle is out in the open when you have shots whistling past you, that can be very hard to determine where the shots are being fired from as it is usually someone with a decent scope that is a fair distance away, even worse if its a silenced weapon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a you tube tutorial on this exact subject and it’s superb. It shows you how to tell what direction a shot is fired from and how far away it is too. You will need a decent set of headphone though because it’s all about sound and sound recognition. Well worth a watch...

 

xl..out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I got the headset yesterday. It clearly helped when inside a building hearing footsteps. Every car or Jeep sounded like it was right near me until I spotted them way off. I was able to manage to detect a few shot locations, but of course I had probably my worst night of playing. Back to the school, prison, etc for more practice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your body is one indicator that I use in tpp. If I'm shot from behind I'll see the shot holes in my character from the side that was hit therefore the person is in said direction. I use s headset and am like a ninja in the shadows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2018 at 12:40 PM, Hixbot said:

It's not realistic, to not know the direction of an attack.  If you get shot directly in the right shoulder you' re gonna know it came from the right.  This game doesn't indicate where you took damage.  Games give you an indicator which may seem unrealistic, but it's a fair estimate to knowledge you would gain in real life.    In real life if someone lights you up from an outside window (but only grazes you) you're gonna have a pretty good idea which side of the house the bullets entered.  In this game you get no indication unless you have really good 3d sound, or outright saw the attacker.

Can we also take a moment and acknowledge that the sound engines reallllllly don't work that well, being underground for instance in a bunker does nothing to quiet the sound of the plane flying overhead, or muffle sounds above you, and walls absolutely don't muffle sounds like they should be able to, I've had doors on the other side of a house open so clearly and loud that it had to be the one next to me, not the one through a wall on the other side of the house.

 

Like I was close to the door that opened so I should have heard it but I was specifically waiting to hear if it was a loud open or somewhat quieter open because one door is behind me and the other is through a wall and another infront of me.

 

The walls also frequently don't block explosions, I've been flashed through solid objects and have blown myself up after lobbing a nade and hiding behind a building in a direction that put two walls between me and the explosion but I literally saw the explosion go through the building o.0

 

And lots of times where you can clearly hear people in the apartment building next to you loot around and like, there are several solid concrete walls between us, why the hell can I hear footsteps?

 

 

It absolutely is realistic to know that if your right side or left side was shot, or your flank, atleast one would assume, maybe bullet hits aren't felt in real life the vast majority of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...