Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashTestDummy

Aim Acceleration Setting

Can someone confirm how the new aim acceleration setting works? 0-10 slider with no in-game explanation.

I originally thought 0 would mean no acceleration but others are saying to use 10?

Go 0, 0 means no acceleration, if you want a classic shooter, muscle memory trigger and being able to track down zig zag mofos. 

I personally use: 

0 acceleration. 

10 general

8 everything else. 

I haven’t messed with dead zone and it’s amazing. 

Just like a good ol bf or cod quick, swift and precise. 

0 acceleration 

general 5 

scoping etc at 4 

dead zone at 8

smooth as microwaved butter

couldnt be more happy with these settings

if you set AA to 10 try it out then to 0 you'll see the difference then its a case of adjusting until you get it right

Total noob question, but what exactly is aim acceleration? I have heard people talking about it before but what does it do? Is it like aim assist? Or is it how quick/smooth your aim traverses? 

3 hours ago, Disobeyedpiano4 said:

Total noob question, but what exactly is aim acceleration? I have heard people talking about it before but what does it do? Is it like aim assist? Or is it how quick/smooth your aim traverses? 

Aim acceleration is a tactic used for controllers to allow faster traversing of the player's view/aim. With a mouse, you can whip the mouse quickly to the side to do a 180, for example. But with a controller's analog stick, you're limited in how far you can move the input to either side. Consequently, doing a 180 with a controller would be significantly slower than using a mouse.

What aim acceleration does is increase the rate at which you turn the longer you hold the stick in that direction. So let's say you push it full to the right, you'll start turning and begin to turn more quickly (up until a programmed maximum) the longer you hold. This lets you turn quicker than you'd be able to otherwise. The downside is that making precise aiming movements becomes trickier, since moving the stick and holding it there applies a variable amount of movement of your view depending on time.

If you're used to more traditional shooters, try turning Aim Acceleration all the way down. Also consider lowering the sensitivity a bit on your higher scope levels (for less spastic aim movements), and maybe even upping the sensitivity on your General to help you get your turns started just a bit quicker while moving around.

- - -

Deadzone is the space towards the center of the stick where the intent is no input. A brand new controller has a nice, firm stick that rests at (0,0). Full right would be (1,0), and full left would be (-1,0). Most controllers wear with use to the point where the stick wiggles a bit in its rest state. This can cause unintended movement to be registered, as the stick maybe resting, but lands at (0.05, -0.07) now, for example. Increasing the size of the deadzone will increase the area at the center of the stick where no input will be processed.

If you set your controller down and still have your character creeping in a certain direction, or the camera shifting, try upping your deadzone a tiny bit.