Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BANG_YOURE_DEAD

Brendan Greene's polygon interview misrepresented those wanting Region or Ping locks

Brendan Green in his Polygon interview misrepresented the truth of the current cheating situation in PUBG.    Brendan claimed that player's want region locks because of Xenophobia and Racism.  This is classic SJW tactics (whether he meant to employ them or not), i.e. attack a straw-man instead of the real grievances.  The straw-man (claims that region locks are all coming from a place of racism) only has credibility because there are real racists screaming real racist things into the game, and we'd like to think that Brendan only believes the SJW lies because he strongly disagrees with the racists.  

Here is reality though, instead of the straw-man that Brendan Greene stood up and effortlessly knocked down:  You have players all over the world who daily and hourly are feeling oppressed by players of other languages and nations.   If anything, the status quo is breeding hatred for those nations right now.  China has 1.379 Billion players.  Whether they cheat more or less doesn't matter, by sheer population of who owns the game, other regions will experience a vastly higher number of Chinese cheaters because they have made it patently obvious they enjoy cheating in other regions in large numbers, in fact my own anecdotal evidence suggests that there is more cheating outside of the Asia region than in it.  Anyway, it's logical to expect that most cheaters would be from China, since they dwarf sales of the game anywhere else, but furthermore Battleye's own statistics proved that most cheaters they ban are from China.  It's not because of race, xenophobia or because someone had bad sushi once, it's because of math.  To argue against this is like arguing 2+2 is 5.  The fact that Microsoft makes it so difficult to control cheaters on Windows, coupled with the high number of players in China is literally creating deep hatred and animosity for 1.379Billion Chinese people, who are being extremely poorly represented by the current situation you have allowed to fester.   PUBG, you are literally helping to incite racial hatred.  

Brendan, do you want to help race relations?  If so here's what you should do:

1.  Temporary region locks or at least ping locks, but allow exceptions for multicultural teams so if one squad member is in EU, one in NA and one in AS, let them select any of those regions to play in.  Or better yet, create a "World" region that lets multicultural teams play in a real multicultural setting.  

2.  Add the ability to select your preferred language, and only match teammates who speak that language, if they prefer.  

3.  If you can actually get a handle on the cheating and fix the ping/peeker's advantage issue, you could remove #1 and everyone would be happy.  

1 minute ago, BANG_YOURE_DEAD said:

or because someone had bad sushi once,

Everybody agrees with your post. But why this little addition? Sushi is japanese man... Why you gotta feed the SJW's with this?

you'd likely side with whoever buttered your bread too... i'm chuffed that they won't even test ping lock, shockingly irresponsible if game performance on your 'budding esport' is actually a concern.

Well here's the deal.  The company is based on Korea.  That's where the core development is done for the PC except for the maps which is done in Wisconsin, USA.  So regardless of our opinion on what should be done we have to realize they are going to cater to the APAC region.  That is their primary customer base.  The USA is not the majority here so our opinions hold little weight in the global picture.

24 minutes ago, DwnNdirty said:

Everybody agrees with your post. But why this little addition? Sushi is japanese man... Why you gotta feed the SJW's with this?

I thought it would be light hearted, but if i could edit it to "orange chicken" I would.  I also said China had 1.379 Billion players instead of People.

The main problem now is cheaters. And as BH can't fix it, people are suggesting alternative fix - region lock. Nothing do with racism.

1 hour ago, g0g0g4dg3t said:

you'd likely side with whoever buttered your bread too... i'm chuffed that they won't even test ping lock, shockingly irresponsible if game performance on your 'budding esport' is actually a concern.

Exactly.... everyone of us that have paid for this game has made Brendan Greene wealthy... this douche bag.. sorry if that offends anyone.. was someone that more than likely didn't have the money, the fame and the girl glory that he has today. So of course he will side with where the money is coming from. As long as it keeps him living in the big house with the pool and getting laid once in a while because more than likely it wasn't happening before like it is now.... were fooked. 
Personally I would like to tell him to his face what I think of his game today but  dang... lol  that ain't gonna happen. 

1 hour ago, DwnNdirty said:

Everybody agrees with your post.

Now you know that's not true, nor for that matter is there any truth in what's posted above.

OP needs to get the facts right and then argue the case, making things up will no doubt get the thread deleted.

btw it was a steamed article widely reported - link is here:  https://steamed.kotaku.com/99-percent-of-battlegrounds-cheats-are-from-china-play-1821513424

24 minutes ago, GrumpyOldMan said:

Now you know that's not true, nor for that matter is there any truth in what's posted above.

OP needs to get the facts right and then argue the case, making things up will no doubt get the thread deleted.

btw it was a steamed article widely reported - link is here:  https://steamed.kotaku.com/99-percent-of-battlegrounds-cheats-are-from-china-play-1821513424

Care to point out what parts are untrue?   And no, i'm referring to this article in the OP:  https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2017/12/22/16810348/pubg-1-0-release-playerunknown-interview-china

I just read that whole article. It doesn't fill me with much confidence. How about these statements.......

“We've reduced hacking by 67.5 percent with these types of strategies,” Greene said.    

Really? You maybe dropped it by that amount for a few days around 1.0 release, but aside from the temporary ban waves cheating has been on the increase for months. You've made NO significant impact. 

Or how about this one...

In the meantime, Greene said he’d appreciate it if fans could just chill out and let his team do the work.

“Calm the fuck down,” Greene said

What I didn't get from reading that whole article is any sign of animosity toward the hackers at all. He's well pissed off with the player base in the West, we all need to "Calm the fuck down", but he's almost resigned to cheaters and hacker ruining his game, and everyone's enjoyment of it....

but he is pragmatic about his chances of ever truly eliminating it.

“Hacking is always going to be an issue with multiplayer games, especially at our scale,” he said.

1 minute ago, GimpUnknown said:

I just read that whole article. It doesn't fill me with much confidence. How about these statements.......

“We've reduced hacking by 67.5 percent with these types of strategies,” Greene said.    

Really? You maybe dropped it by that amount for a few days around 1.0 release, but aside from the temporary ban waves cheating has been on the increase for months. You've made NO significant impact. 

Or how about this one...

In the meantime, Greene said he’d appreciate it if fans could just chill out and let his team do the work.

“Calm the fuck down,” Greene said

What I didn't get from reading that whole article is any sign of animosity toward the hackers at all. He's well pissed off with the player base in the West, we all need to "Calm the fuck down", but he's almost resigned to cheaters and hacker ruining his game, and everyone's enjoyment of it....

but he is pragmatic about his chances of ever truly eliminating it.

“Hacking is always going to be an issue with multiplayer games, especially at our scale,” he said.

Do you think no one in the "West" hacks?

I think there there would be FAR fewer hackers if the "West" played on their own servers. 

I take it from your statement that you don't think it would make any difference?

lol what the hell is going on with Brendan Green? It's obvious he never gamed before 2010, or whenever he started. He doesn't know about Counter-Strike back when it was lagged as hell. This dude is starting to sound like a bigot.

1 minute ago, GimpUnknown said:

I think there there would be FAR fewer hackers if the "West" played on their own servers. 

I take it from your statement that you don't think it would make any difference?

No, but I accept I am going to get killed by hackers on occasion. It will get better... it will get worse. It's the way programming works. They can't fix all the problems in an instant just because you feel salty.

Even with a ping lock and "China" playing on their own server, I fully suspect I will run into a hacker 10% of the time. But I will report them, and assuming they eventually get a ban, I don't think they will simply buy the game again for $30 and get straight back to cheating. The game will be totally playable again.

The current situation is the complete opposite of that. Many people are getting killed by cheaters the majority of the time. In TPP, it felt like 80% of games. And the bans do nothing.

So, no, I never said cheaters will be completely gone, and they never will be. But they will be at a manageable level. What I am "salty" about it Greene's apparent lack of empathy for a massive portion of his player base who he has sold out to in order to gain as much money as he can from China. If it was anything other than that, ping lock would have come months ago.

The probem

12 hours ago, Efilnikufesin said:

No, but I accept I am going to get killed by hackers on occasion. It will get better... it will get worse. It's the way programming works. They can't fix all the problems in an instant just because you feel salty.

The problem is that it is not on occasion.  It is literally almost every single game and they always have an Asian name.  This isn't racism its just facts.

Why are people complaining about China still?

Tencent have said they are in the process of applying for a license from the State censorship office (SAPPRFT) to sell in China even though it is VERY unlikely they will get one.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-30/world-s-hottest-pc-game-could-be-banned-in-china-due-to-violence

Factor this in with the Chinese government banning all VPN's within the next 3 weeks - there won't even be the ability to play via VPN.

http://au.pcmag.com/news/48810/china-will-block-all-vpns-by-february-2018

Whether it will be easy to circumvent the state ban on VPN's and players just start overseas Steam accounts waits to be seen. But they have semi successfully banned things like this in China for the masses before. (Facebook, Google etc)

There will be chinese companies salivating at the door to write their own version of PUBG which can be sanitised enough to be sanctioned by the state and it would seem logical that the vast majority players from China will gravitate to that version out of ease to access.

Thinking about it, this is probably exactly why Tencent has already scooped up the PUBG license for China because they know this ban is coming and want to be the first in line with a "new product" for China.

Blaming Brendan Greene is like blaming the boss of a record company for a terrible album from your favourite artist.

He came up with an iteration of a Battle Royal concept and only works for Bluehole as a Creative Director. He does not write the code, he does not exclusively make the decisions around the game, he is one cog in a machine but it's because you know his name that you blame him.

Watch the H3 podcast interview with him and you might get a better understanding of the influence he has on the game. Admittedly he does not address the issues of cheaters as much as I would have liked to on the podcast but I guess he was technically on the interview circuit promoting the 1.0 release of the game.

2 hours ago, BANG_YOURE_DEAD said:

Care to point out what parts are untrue?   And no, i'm referring to this article in the OP:  https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2017/12/22/16810348/pubg-1-0-release-playerunknown-interview-china

Thanks for the link, its the same quotes as I expected

Re Parts that are untrue, most of it. Two key elements for you:

3 hours ago, BANG_YOURE_DEAD said:

Brendan claimed that player's want region locks because of Xenophobia and Racism

Brendan said  "Amidst the rapid growth in the Chinese player base, racial slurs have begun flying on social media. Some have even called for Chinese players to be booted onto their own dedicated servers. Greene strongly condemns the behaviour"

So unless you are one of those posting racial slurs on social media and calling for Chinese players to be booted he isn't talking about you period.

He didn't say all players he didn't say everyone in the west is a xenophobe or racist. 

You have players all over the world who daily and hourly are feeling oppressed by players of other languages and nations

I'm sure you do, and they are a tiny tiny minority of the 30m players - good luck proving me wrong. Vocal sure, lots of shouts doesn't make a majority or even a reasonable case. You may feel oppressed by anyone that doesn't speak your language, don't presume to speak for the rest of the world until you have some hard facts to back you up.

If anything, the status quo is breeding hatred for those nations right now

im not feeling any hate for any nationality, I'm feeling hatred for hackers and exasperation with pointing out the obvious,. yet again.

Reality, people don't care what nationality other players are in the game if they play fairly.

id suggest focus on your principal complaint ignore what everyone says or everyone knows, get the facts even if they don't support your argument and then post.

4 minutes ago, GrumpyOldMan said:

Thanks for the link, its the same quotes as I expected

Re Parts that are untrue, most of it. Two key elements for you:

Brendan said  "Amidst the rapid growth in the Chinese player base, racial slurs have begun flying on social media. Some have even called for Chinese players to be booted onto their own dedicated servers. Greene strongly condemns the behaviour"

So unless you are one of those posting racial slurs on social media and calling for Chinese players to be booted he isn't talking about you period.

He didn't say all players he didn't say everyone in the west is a xenophobe or racist. 

I'm sure you do, and they are a tiny tiny minority of the 30m players - good luck proving me wrong. Vocal sure, lots of shouts doesn't make a majority or even a reasonable case. You may feel oppressed by anyone that doesn't speak your language, don't presume to speak for the rest of the world until you have some hard facts to back you up.

im not feeling any hate for any nationality, I'm feeling hatred for hackers and exasperation with pointing out the obvious,. yet again.

Reality, people don't care what nationality other players are in the game if they play fairly.

id suggest focus on your principal complaint ignore what everyone says or everyone knows, get the facts even if they don't support your argument and then post.

Brendan's dismissal of region locking is focused entirely on xenophobia and racism on the part of some people on social media.  He did not address latency issues or language problems what so ever.  My point original point stands. 

Tiny minority?  If you played TPP at all during Chinese evenings you would average about 1 obvious cheater per 5 games, with 1 to 2 suspicious but not overt ones.  Sorry, we're not even playing the same game apparently, so I'm not sure why you even post here. 

56 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

Blaming Brendan Greene is like blaming the boss of a record company for a terrible album from your favourite artist.

He came up with an iteration of a Battle Royal concept and only works for Bluehole as a Creative Director. He does not write the code, he does not exclusively make the decisions around the game, he is one cog in a machine but it's because you know his name that you blame him.

Watch the H3 podcast interview with him and you might get a better understanding of the influence he has on the game. Admittedly he does not address the issues of cheaters as much as I would have liked to on the podcast but I guess he was technically on the interview circuit promoting the 1.0 release of the game.

I'm not sure what your point is.  If you don't think the Creative Director who's name is in the title, made by his own company, can't advocate fact-based solutions like Region Locked regions + World playable ones, not sure what to tell you.  At the very least he could address the concerns of the community without resorting to torching a straw man argument. 

6 minutes ago, BANG_YOURE_DEAD said:

I'm not sure what your point is.  If you don't think the Creative Director who's name is in the title, made by his own company, can't advocate fact-based solutions like Region Locked regions + World playable ones, not sure what to tell you.  At the very least he could address the concerns of the community without resorting to torching a straw man argument. 

His point is the USA is the minority here.  He's not going to bend over backwards when the majority of players are in China and the company is in Korea.  He's not going to limit his largest base of players because people can't deal with communication issues.   He created a game which sold 30 million copies and he's targeting a market of 10 billion.

He does have a strong point whether I agree with him or not.